Monday, June 23, 2008

Refreshment

This past Sunday morning, I was feeling just a tad overwhelmed with all that needs to be done around our home, and my heart felt heavy for various other reasons. I began reading my Bible where I had left off the day before, and the words spoke to my heart with conviction ". . . so as to live the rest of the time in the flesh no longer . . . but for the will of God . . . Above all keep fervent in your love for one another . . . as each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another as good stewards of the manifold grace of God . . . whoever serves is to do so as one who is serving by the strength which God supplies . . . therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God . . . casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you." (various verses from 1 Peter). Refreshment was beginning.

For me, during times like this, music always seems to help renew my heart and lift my spirits, especially playing the piano. I pulled out one of my favorite piano songs and began to play while some of the words ran through my head. "You are my all in all". Yes, the Lord is my all in all. No matter what happens in this life, all that I need, all that is necessary to sustain me is my Lord. Nothing else can satisfy. Nothing else can fulfill. I stepped away from the piano feeling very much better. My heart was back where it needed to be. Yes, there are still very many things to keep me busy, and yes, the different issues/situations that our family is dealing with right now still remain, but instead of the focus being on how
I can manage it all, it is upon the Lord. Resting in that He is my Shepherd, He is my Guide, and that I simply need to trust Him.

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Sarah!
    I have recently been blessed to find your site. What is so special and unique about it is the joy that you all seem to truly feel with your family life. Not just the beautiful closeness that you have with each other, but the happiness you derive from working in and around your home. The heart that your family shares for the things of God is so inspirational and encouraging in these times.
    I 100% agree with you about the healing power of godly music. Music has healed anger, frustration, impatience, sadness, depression, and any other negative emotion you can name.
    There is one thing that I would like to ask: Has your piano playing ever been recorded? It would be a nice addition to this site if it featured music that your family performed. Just an idea. Keep up the good work and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Sarah... praise God for His refreshing! It is so wonderful to hear of your testimony. With my family coming, I too, have been SO busy. Busyness can bring stress, however, I have come to realise that spending time in worship, prayer and reading the Word are INCREDIBLY important. It really does cure us from trusting in our own strength.

    Sometimes when I feel overwhelmed, I have to ignore the many to-do's and retreat to my 'closet' to spend time with Him. It makes all the difference, doesn’t it?!

    Lovely to hear of the encouragement you received from Him!

    In His love,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I understand what you mean, Sarah. I sometimes feel so overwhelmed by all I have to do in a day. Quoting a poem (author unknown):
    I had so much to accomplish that I had to take time to pray.
    I find it never pays to miss prayer time because of all you have to do! And taking a break when things seem too much always helps.

    I find listening to calming classical music helps when I'm stressed by all I have to do... : )

    Blessings in Christ,
    Jerusha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to my blog, Kandis, and thank you for your comment! It is always nice to hear from those who are reading on here. :)

    Thank you also for your encouraging words regarding our family life! I am so thankful to the Lord for the work that He has done (and is doing!) on all of our hearts. I pray that this growth, the bonds between us, continue to grow stronger and stronger with each passing day.

    No, my piano playing has never been recorded. :) We do not have a means for recording, so I am afraid that at this time this little blog will remain ‘musicless’. :) Maybe someday! Do you play any instruments?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for your encouraging comment, Natasha, and for sharing your heart in regards to this! Yes, it is vital for us to take the time to spend with our Lord each day! He should receive first place in our hearts, and also in our time. Even when the laundry hamper is full, there are blog posts to write, and there are a thousand other things calling our names.

    I pray that your time with your family is one of refreshment and blessing! I am sure that you are greatly enjoying yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was good to hear from you, Jerusha! Thank you for commenting. :) I think that the feeling of being overwhelmed is not an uncommon one!

    Yes, our time with our Lord should take the first place in our hearts, and if that is the case, everything else will fall into place. And as you shared, prayer is absolutely necessary! Having our hearts in fellowship with our Lord and our eyes fixed upon Him makes all the difference in how we view the different circumstances in our lives.

    Thank you for sharing those other ideas also! :) Music is such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was going through a very sad time awhile back and the Lord showed me to be joyful and sing in the praise of the Lord.

    I haven't been doing that, just too sad and down and I leaned on the Lord and started singing to him and praising him and that really lifted me up.
    He is showing us to lean on him and be totally unto him.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)