Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A More Complete Perspective


Usually when I read through the Old Testament, I will read a Psalm or two (or more :) each day while reading through the rest of the Testament. This time through has been no different, but the way the Psalms tied in with what I was reading each day was quite interesting! Several of the Psalms (for instance: Psalm 52, 54 and 57) were written by David during the time period when Saul was pursuing him, and it just so happened that while I was reading through these accounts in the book of 1 Samuel, I was also reading through the Psalms written by David during these times. It gave a whole new perspective on these Psalms! One could understand to a much greater depth David's heart during these times of wandering and hiding from Saul. When adversaries and enemies are mentioned one knows whom David is referring to.

There was also the instance when David was brought by the men of Gath to their king, Achish . . . in an effort to escape from their hands, David disguised his sanity before them. As a result, the Philistines released him. (1 Samuel 21:10-15). Somewhere during this time, David penned Psalm 56, portions of which read:

"My foes have trampled upon me all day long, for they are many who fight proudly against me. When I am afraid, I will put my trust in You. In God, whose word I praise, In God I have put my trust; I shall not be afraid. What can mere man do to me? . . . For You have delivered my soul from death, indeed my feet from stumbling, so that I may walk before God in the light of the living." (Psalm 56:2-4, 13-14)

So many things were clearer and had a deeper meaning both in 1 Samuel and in the Psalms due to this 'parallel' reading. Needless to say, I found it quite fascinating! :)

4 comments:

  1. How neat to hear that you readings are able to "correspond" with each other!
    The Psalms are so encouraging!
    ~Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Psalms are encouraging, Ashley! At times when I am feeling discouraged or down-hearted, reading a Psalm or two always seems to bring refreshment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Psalms, too. I have been using daily reading of the Psalms as the basis for my prayer time each day. I read through one Psalm (going through them in order) and make a list of things to praise the Lord for. Today I read through Psalm 18 and it was so encouraging! It says the Lord is:
    1.my rock
    2.my fortress
    3.my deliverer
    4.my strength
    5.my shield
    6.the horn of my salvation
    7.my stronghold
    8.worthy to be praised,
    And so much more! What a great Psalm. :) I love God's Word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing, Joy! I had never thought of reading through the Psalms in that manner . . . what a blessing it would be, though!

    I love the Psalm you shared . . . how thankful I am for all that God is for us! Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)