Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Bit of This and That

It seems like many of the trees in our woods have decided to die and fall over at the same time so Dad has been busy chain sawing. We have also been doing quite a bit of clearing of trees and brush near where the vegetable garden is so that we can have a place to hopefully put in berries next year. All of this makes for large brush piles waiting to be burned! Unfortunately on our place there is not really a safe area to burn the whole pile so we have to take the longer and more tedious way of burning in barrels. Dad and Mom spent an enjoyable Saturday afternoon doing that and made quite a bit of headway.


Saturday afternoon/evening Ryan went hunting again at his place and saw only one deer. A beautiful six-point buck came up about ten yards from his stand . . . in parts of Missouri though (including where we live), a buck must have at least 4 points on one side in order for it to be legally harvested. So Ryan had the pleasure of watching the deer for quite some time, but unfortunately did not have any meat to bring home.

While these activities were going on, Leah was in the sewing room working on a jumper for herself, and I was out gathering leaves (by raking and using our push mower and bagger) and spreading them in the garden. Dad had tilled up a large portion of the garden earlier, and I was to cover it with leaves which
he will then till in. For the past few months, Leah has been putting leaves in the chicken pen for them to scratch around in (in an effort to keep them occupied so they would stop pecking on one another!), so I also raked all those up and spread them in the garden too. That will be good fertilizer! Once all that was done, there needed to be more leaves raked up and put back into the chicken pen. How they enjoyed scratching around in the fresh leaves! They are so fun to watch. :)

The deer sure have been enjoying some of the plants in the vegetable garden. The green beans especially, but yesterday morning most of the tops of the lettuce plants were eaten off also.


Too bad the deer only come through at night otherwise Ryan could hunt here and probably be able to get one or two! :)

The pasture next to us sure is looking beautiful! Many of the trees are quite bare now, but there are still a lot of them that still have their leaves . . .


Fall is definitely here, but some of our flowers insist on continuing to bloom. I do not mind that in the least! :)


I was surprised to see a bee on one of the flowers today . . .


And slowly but surely work has continued on a table runner I have been working on . . .


I pieced it out of fabric scraps last fall, but never finished it. I pulled it out awhile back, layered it with backing and batting and began hand quilting it. I am rather slow at hand quilting, but so far have all of the stars quilted (there are three of them). I plan to quilt the outlines of a few leaves in the 'empty spaces' around the stars and then it will be ready to finish! And hopefully before fall is over this year. :)

18 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    It sounds like you have had yet another busy and happy weekend.

    Do you know why the buck must have at least 4 points on one side? I guess Ryan will have to stay up late to get a one of those deer that are feasting on your garden:).

    The bare trees are a reminder of winter on the way! Do you get much snow in Missouri? We get quite a bit in Vermont, in fact, it is calling for a dusting tonight!

    Flowers are very cheering! We live at my grandparents, and my grandma has a lot of flower gardens.

    The table runner you are making is very pretty and well done.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting to know that deer must have four points to be legally hunted. In Michigan hunters can get doe or buck permits. None of my family hunts, but a hunter already got one deer from our property. In the evenings we can go out to the back and count twenty or so deer grazing in our alfalfa field (they also ate lots of our pumpkins this year).

    The table runner is beautiful. I quilted a baby blanket once. I started quilting a twin size comforter for my bed, but finally gave up and had it tied off instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely quilting Sarah. That design is a favourite of mine.It looks as though it could be Laura Ashley fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah your table runner looks lovely. I am almost finished a quillow as a present for my cousin's 65th birthday then I need to start a quilt for our bedroom I have been nagging ~ I mean encouraging my husband to finish decorating & I haven't got the quilt ready!!!!!!! Take a peek at my blog when you've time & you'll see if I get it finished lol!!!!!! Marie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with fertilizing your soil - the leaves might also give it a nice dark color which you could use to sprinkle on top of flower beds, it contrasts and shows up the color of the blossoms quite well.

    I am currently doing the same in my vegetable garden, to enrich the soil for gooseberry and currant bushes I have been given along with some rhubarb plants (I'm hoping to be able to make some rhubarb pie next year!).

    The fertilizing is desperately needed as our plot is surrounded by privet hedging, which is said to drain the soil of all plant nutrients as far as 2-3 metres away from the stem. We live in a suburban area so there is no horse or chicken manure available. Plenty of cat and probably dog litter though, but I'm not sure this can be used for my purpose...

    Apart from the leaves, I'm trench-composting all our kitchen scraps - this doesn't amount to much in a two person household but every little helps. And it's always fun to discover in a few months time that everything has vanished, apart from maybe a few hard bits the earthworms have left for a later time. It's very much like normal composting (which is probably what you are doing already) but a faster process and you dont need to turn it over to air it - just dig it in and then plant on top at a later time. It worked for me in my last garden where I used it to break up heavy clay (I wish I had a bit of that now...!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cutting up trees/ brush and then burning reminds me of what Tristan did around here last fall, Sarah. There was a monstrous pile of brush that we dared not burn (lack of rain, afraid it would get out of control, etc..) and it took several weeks of small amounts of burning to get it all done with.

    I'll admit that I asked Collin about the requirments for y'all legally harvesting a Buck! Around here deer are much smaller (as Collin says, "dinky") and from what I understand that kind of restriction isn't in place. Apparently the deer don't get enough nutrition to get big; once you get around large farms they start getting big.
    I hope they don't cause much damage to your garden!

    The picture of the pasture is beautiful! It looks so peaceful and gives one the urge to take a stroll.

    You table runner is going to look really nice! Do post a picture once it's finished. Will you be drawing the outline of a leaf on and then stitch, or will you do it "freehand"?
    Have a wonderful day Sarah!
    ~Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  7. The reason that a buck must have at least 4 points on one side, Anna, is twofold . . . one, to encourage more does to be taken (there are too many deer here!), and two, to let the little bucks grow. It is a rather new law, and it will be interesting to see if it works they way the Conservation Department would like it to!

    Snow in Missouri can be rather variable! We have had some years where we receive a lot and others where there is hardly any. The past two years we have had quite a bit of snow, but the most prevalent precipitation was freezing rain and sleet. There were times that the ground was so slick, that we had to tie ropes up to help us make it to our animals’ pens! It will be interesting to see what this winter is like! Did you end up having a dusting of snow?

    How wonderful that you live so close to your grandparents! What a blessing! I would agree, flowers are very cheering, and it sounds like your grandma enjoys them. :)

    Thank you for your kind words! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You all must have a lot of deer around, Amy! Do you have many people hunt on your property? I am sorry that the deer ate so many of your pumpkins! Deer can be quite the garden/farm pests.

    Quilting is so enjoyable, isn’t it!? I, too, have hand quilted a baby quilt, but when thinking of hand quilting a bed-size quilt . . . it sounds rather overwhelming! Tied quilts have quite an attractive look to them! What color of fabrics did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Elizabeth! Do you do quilting then? I am unsure of what line of fabrics they are as one was given to me (along with a bunch of other fabric scraps), and the other I cannot remember where we got it (it, too, was a scrap). By their feel, though, they seem to be good quality fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Marie!

    Quillows are so much fun! Was it difficult to make? I am sure that your cousin will love it. :)

    I will be stopping in at your blog . . . and I look forward to seeing the finished quilt when you are able to get it completed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to my blog, Agnes, and thank you so much for all of the great information! It sounds like you are quite a knowledgeable gardener. :) Gardening is fun (and rewarding!), isn’t it?!

    I hope that your planting of gooseberry and currant bushes and rhubarb plants is successful for you! With all the work you are doing to improve the soil, I am sure your garden will grow very well next year!

    Trench-composting is a great idea! We will probably be trying that (we have quite a bit of clay). Thank you for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like you all can well relate to large burn piles, Ashley! :) We still have a lot left to burn, but little by little progress is being made.

    With the deer being so small where you live, I would guess that there is over population? The law about a buck needing to have four points on one side is a fairly new one for here in Missouri. They are hoping that it will encourage more does to be taken, and also that it will allow the little bucks to grow into big ones.

    Yes, I will be drawing the outline of the leaf on before quilting. I am not artistically talented so I can just imagine what the leaf would look like if I did it free-hand! Now if Leah was doing it . . . :) Once the table runner is finished, I will be sure to post a photo (though, it could be awhile yet!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. No, it's not over population although I'm sure there are areas in SC that do have that problem. The deer are small because they don't enough nutrition. The hunting area's around here are mainly woods and there aren't corn, soybeans, or peanut farms around here. Apparently the large farming areas are where one finds the big ones.
    ~Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like you have been staying really busy! The field and flower pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, the poor deer, Ashley! But at least there is enough food around that deer stay in your area! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have been, Amy! I am glad that you enjoyed the photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. How delightful that you still have some plants flowering! What a joy that must be!

    The table runner looks lovely, too. I hope you enjoy working on it as the weather cools down...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sarah,
    We did end up getting a dusting, actually more than one! It snowed all last night and a good share of the morning, but by the afternoon, it had all melted. That is good because we still have a little wood to bring in.
    In Christ, Anna

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)