Saturday, December 13, 2008

Framing Cross-stitches and a Lesson on Patience

This week for girls group, each of the girls framed one of the verse cross-stitches that they had made, and we also discussed the quality of "patience". Throughout the afternoon, the girls had several opportunities to put what we learned into practice! :)

Leah had made cardboard templates so that the girls could trace around their cross-stitch in the size that would fit the frame. Once the lines were traced, they cut them out and placed them in their frames.


Patience is:

1. Having the quality of enduring evils without murmuring or fretfulness

2 Not easily provoked; calm under the sufferance of injuries or offenses; not revengeful.

3 Persevering; constant in pursuit of exertion; calmly diligent.

4 Not hasty; not over eager or impetuous; waiting or expecting with calmness or without discontent.

(Definitions taken from Noah Webster's 1828 American Dictionary of the English Language)

Centering the cross-stitch in the template


Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love,” (Ephesians 4:1-2)

Leah helping one of the girls with her cross-stitch


The Lord’s bond-servant must not be quarrelsome, but be kind to all, able to teach, patient when wronged.” (2 Timothy 2:24)

Framing


So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.” (Colossians 3:12)

Finished!


“. . . But if when you do what is right and suffer for it you patiently endure it, this finds favor with God.” (2 Peter 2:20)

Working on their "in progress" cross-stitches


“. . . be patient with everyone.” (1 Thessalonians 5:14)

We finished the day with reviewing all of the verses that we have memorized and then played a fun game together. What a special day it was!

12 comments:

  1. Dear Sarah, I'm glad your doing so well! Thanks for sharing!

    Cross-stich is so pretty! I have only done it once or twice but I have a friend who loves to and she's really good!!!

    Looks like alot of fun!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know Sarah, it doesn't matter what avenue the LORD uses when He wants to talk to someone, and this post is certainly one avenue He used to speak to me right now.

    I was at the mall today, and boy the traffic, crowds and attitudes sure tried my patience. So it was very much GOD to have you post this and bring it to my eyes. I admit I lost my patience a few times today so this reminder hit home loud and clear! *grin*

    ~blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cross-stitch are so pretty! And another good lesson - patience.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to do cross stitch. the ones that your girls made look lovely, they must be so thrilled with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THe cross stitch that the girls did is very pretty!

    I tried cross stitching once or twice when I was a lot younger, but gave up because I messed up so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You’re welcome, Ashley! :)

    Cross-stitch is pretty and the girls did such a great job on theirs! That is wonderful that your friend knows how to cross-stitch. :) I am sure you enjoy seeing her finished projects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad that this post was a blessing to you, Heart 4 My Home! I can understand the difficulty in having a patient heart at times when shopping . . . many opportunities can be presented in these situations to practice patience! :)

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Anna! The girls did such a wonderful job on them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is wonderful that you also cross-stitch, Elizabeth! It is so fun to do. :)

    Thank you for your sweet comments about the girls' cross-stitches! They did such a great job on them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cross-stitching can be challenging, Amy! I can remember many cross-stitches that I messed up on and then never finished. :) Or that I had to rip out a bunch on them!

    You should give it a try again sometime. :) I am sure that you would enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How did you know I needed this reminder Sarah??! I was especially struck with the third and fourth definitions of patience.. "Not Hasty" and "persevering".

    The cross-stitches are looking great! How long does it take the girls to complete one?
    ~Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was a reminder that I also needed, Ashley! It always amazes me how well the girls group lessons fit in and apply to my own life.

    The time to complete a cross-stitch really depends! For some it can be a few months (working a bit on it each week), and others almost a year. They all love to cross-stitch and are doing so well with it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)