The first thing that needed to be done was to tear up all the old flooring . . .
And Mom worked on removing the linoleum . . .
After the linoleum was removed, Mom, Leah and I went along with scrapers to scrap up the bits that were still attached to the concrete. That was a job! There were some places where the glue held quite tight! Once all this was done, Dad and Ryan broke out the tile that was in front of our old front door (we do not use it anymore.) That was their workout for the day. :) They used hammers and pry bars and got the tile up fairly quickly, but it was a bit tiring for them!
Ryan scooping up the broken tile - it seemed strange to have the wheelbarrow sitting in our dining room! :)
Once all of the old flooring was removed, we checked the levelness of the floor and found one large area that had a significant dip in it which needed to be filled with some type of leveling component. Leah did some research online and figured out what would be best to use, and then she, Dad and Ryan got it all leveled off . . .
By this time, we were all eager to start laying the flooring! We first had to put down in intervals a strip of underlayment and then some of the flooring. The flooring pieces were tongue and groove so they snapped together. The type of flooring that we got has six different designed panels, so I chose the order to use the pieces and then Dad and Leah snapped them in.
We had a wonderful time working on this project together, though there were several times when we had to stop and think to try to figure out how to figure out a difficulty. :) Having a house that is not square made the project interesting! Once the flooring was all in, we were eager to put the furniture back in and get it all arranged. We love how it looks!
This photo is taken from the living room facing towards the pantry - the kitchen is on the left and the dining room on the right with the entry way to the right of the pantry door.