Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Recipe to Share

With having a large garden and trying to grow a lot of our own food, we are always on the look-out for new recipes to try that utilize produce from the garden. Last year we added several new recipes and this spring, we discovered another new one that we could make using spinach as well as some green onions. After making it for the first time earlier this gardening season, we decided that the recipe was definitely a 'keeper'! Anyway, I thought that you all might enjoy having the recipe as well, so I am sharing it here . . .


Tossed Spinach Salad

-1 pkg. (10 oz.) fresh spinach, torn (I just used spinach from the garden)
-1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced (I think I used less than this)
-1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
-3 celery ribs, sliced
-1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
-3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
-3 green onions, sliced

FRENCH DRESSING:
-1 cup ketchup
-1/2 cup vinegar
-3/4 cup vegetable oil
-1/2 cup sugar
-1 tsp. salt
-1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

In a large salad bowl, combine the salad ingredients. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the remaining ingredients; shake until the sugar is dissolved. (The original recipe calls for drizzling the dressing over the salad and then tossing to coat, but we serve the dressing separate.) Enjoy!

17 comments:

  1. Dear Sarah, thank you for sharing! I bet it was neat to use your own spinach! I bet it tasted great!

    Have a great day! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very good Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJune 25, 2009

    Sarah...we tried this recipe for dinner tonight, and it was a huge hit! Everyone loved it, right down to the 5-year-old. We also served baked sweet potatoes and rolls with butter, and topped it all with ice cream for dessert. A wonderful summer meal!:-)

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favorite way to eat Spinach as I don't care much for it when cooked.:) I'm glad to see the dressing recipe...I look forward to trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You’re welcome, Ashley! :)

    It is very nice being able to use produce from our own garden to make dishes such as this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is, Elizabeth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad that you all liked it so much, Betsy! Thank you for sharing! :)

    Mmm . . . the meal you served sounds delicious. I would not have minded joining you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not care much for cooked spinach either, Ellen, but put it in a salad like this, and it is so good! I hope that the dressing recipe works well for you! It has become one of our favorite dressings now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have such yummy looking recipes!! I really want to try these!! Here is the recipe, sorry it took me a long time. But I hope you enjoy it!!

    1 head of lettuce
    1 pkg. (10 oz) spinach
    1 cucumber (sometimes we use two)
    5 coped carrots
    1 can (15 oz.) black olives
    1 can (15 oz.) chick peas
    1 onion
    1 can (15 oz.) beets (we do not grow our own)

    Serve with any kind of dressing you like, but I live caesar. Then enjoy!!

    If any thing sounds "not right" then please ask me!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S I forgot to tell you that this feeds all our family, which is a of ten.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds really good Sarah! We will have to try it here at our place some time soon. We too enjoy fresh spinach salads especially if there is a bacon dripping dressing to go over it. The french dressing sounds really good (how did you know that I was in the midst of searching out a recipe for this particular dressing!! :o).

    ~Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe, Desiree! It sounds good, and I look forward to trying it. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is good, Ashley! Mmm . . . spinach salad with bacon dripping dressing sounds like it would be good!

    That is funny that you were looking for a French dressing recipe right when I posted this! I hope that you all like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sarah!
    I have a little something for you on my blog. visit soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for the award, Pom Pom, and for letting me know! That was sweet of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're welcome, Emily! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)