Friday, October 23, 2009

Recent Finds . . .

One of my favorite places to 'shop' is at garage sales as one can often find treasures for very little cost. The best garage sales, and the ones that we try to go to, are the large ones . . . neighborhood garage sales, community garage sales, church sales, and then the senior center in our town has two garage sales a year as well. This past weekend Mom, Leah and I were able to go to the senior center sale and had some great finds. At each of their sales, they always have a lot of craft items so we came away with bags of ribbon, bias tape and trims, some sewing patterns, quite a few cross-stitch patterns, and several other things as well for only a few dollars. But the greatest find for me there was this . . .


At the garage sale, most things were inside, but they had some things outside too. So right after we arrived and started looking, my attention was almost immediately drawn to this basket. There was no price tag on it so I did not know how much it would be, and the basket was filled with lots of junk type of things. When I asked the price, the lady looked at the basket, and then asked me doubtfully "Is it worth 50 cents to you?" Yes! So I came away with a beautiful, old bushel basket. I have lots of ideas of different ways to use it, but I am not sure which direction I'll go with it yet!

So that was one 'treasure' find. :) Another was at our library's children's book sale (which they have a couple of times a year.) This is another thing that we try to make it to each time they have one as they always have so many great books with much variety. And with prices of 25 and 50 cents each, it is an economic way to build a book collection (and they often have books that one can hardly find anywhere else!) Leah and I are fairly selective in what books we add to our growing 'libraries' so we always carefully peruse the stacks and bins of books - flipping through the pages, asking the other for their opinion on the book, etc. At this particular sale, we were able to find a lot of great books such as several older Golden books, a few historical biographies, wonderful little science books (on moths, butterflies, etc.), a beautiful history book (Leah's find!), and more! My favorite find of the day, though, and one that I was quite surprised to find at a children's book sale, was a complete replica (besides the hardcover and red border) of the 1897 Sears Roebuck catalog!


Wow! Is it ever fascinating to look through there! It is like stepping back in time, and we have greatly enjoyed our perusal of its pages. One thing that has surprised me is the very wide variety of items they offered . . . pretty much everything that one would need (back then of course :) is in the catalog. Plows, buggies, medicine, food, clothing, blacksmithing supplies, well pumps, tools, fabric, veterinary supplies, wagon parts, musical instruments (they even had a hammered dulcimer!), washing machines, clothes wringers, butter churns, furniture, and so very much more. It's too bad that it's not a current catalog :), as there are so many things in there that I would love to have! Especially with the prices they had . . . one can hardly beat $13.80 for a wood burning cookstove. :)

Here is a sampling of a few of the catalog's 786 pages (and I left the photos large so if you would lik
e, you can click on them and you'll be able to see and read them much better) . . .







So those are some of our recent finds that we have been enjoying lately! :)

16 comments:

  1. I am always on the lookout for baskets I like at garage sales. I am picky about my baskets, lol. I really like that one! I have always wanted to see a Sears Robuck catolog. I have read about them, but never seen one. It is a lot like I pictured it.
    Very Neat.
    Oh and I would certainly like to find a wood burning stove for 13.80. That is on our list of things we want to get before winter sets in...and has been since we got married 4 and a half years ago. LOL.
    We know God will provide though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhhhh my, Sarah, what finds those were!! Especially the Sears and Roebuck catalog!!! My question is... why would a library have a replica of one? That's unusual I think!! What a delightful find though; seeing the photos of the pages brought back the time that I was able to spend perusing an Animal Magazine from the early 1900's with some dear friends!!! Isn't it amazing to compare the prices back then to what prices are now??? I love looking through the old magazines... can't help but wonder what it was like back then! :o)

    Your bushel basket is a real find as well!!! I've been trying to think of what you might use it for... books, fabric, gardening, the possibilities are endless!! I confiscated one for use in my garden; as I weed the pulled plants get thrown in the basket- when I'm done it gets dumped in the compost bin.
    I really like the photo of the basket! :o)

    Have a great evening Sarah!
    ~Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love looking through old magazines and books! My most recent find was an 1939, 400 page nursing textbook ( with many study notes in the margins) from an estate sale.That catalog is such an interesting find. I would love to buy that pretty wood stove lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm what yummy finds! I love garage sales and things like that! Just today I got a beautiful skirt and shirt at goodwill!
    Right down the road from us there is a little country store and the owner has lots of old fashion things in there...in the back room he took Sears & Roebuck replica catalogs and pasted the pages like wallpaper all over the walls and then he put some sort of a finnish over it. The walls look really nice and it is neat to read all the products/prices...and it makes me wonder...why can't mandolins still be just 8 dollars? (or whatever the price was)!
    Thanks for sharing!
    ~Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some neat treasures, Sarah. I'm curious about something---you (and Leah) are still quite young...why do you suppose you are so drawn toward older, vintage-style things? Do you just like how they look, or is it more than that?

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wow, to find those I call them apple baskets as they would fill them full up with apples in them. I love those, what a great find.

    People donate books to library that they don't want anymore so libraries would get some really good books like that.

    That is great you are surrounded by different big sales to go too.

    They have library sale here too but its too popular so its huge.

    But our libary does have bins that you can look to see what is put in them, kids books, right now there is CD's, and paper books,etc.

    Its amazing what you can find, at times I have found something.

    kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun that you also like baskets, Becky! Like you, I am picky about my baskets, too. :)

    I am glad that you enjoyed seeing the Sears Roebuck catalog! It certainly is interesting!

    Wouldn’t it be nice to find a wood burning stove for $13.80?! :) Hopefully you and Steven will be able to find a nice stove before winter sets in. Like you shared, though, you can trust that the Lord will provide for your needs in his time!

    Thank you for your comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your enthusiastic comment, Ashley! I thoroughly enjoyed it. :) That is a good question why the library would have a replica of a Sears Roebuck catalog at their sale! From what I understand, the books that are sold at the sales are either ones that they are moving out of the library or ones that have been donated to sell. The Sears Roebuck catalog has a stamp on it of the name of a middle school so I am guessing that it was donated to the library to be sold at one of the sales.

    That would be fun to peruse through an early 1900’s Animal Magazine! (Forgive my lack of memory and/or understanding here, but the thought flitted across my mind when reading this that perhaps this instance occurred when a certain someone was visiting other certain someones and a certain “Breeder’s Gazette” was found at an antique store and those same someones enjoyed poring over it together. Would this assumption be correct? If not, I am glad that you had the opportunity to enjoy such a wonderful magazine with others! But if this was what you were referring to, that was so fun!!! :) Like you, I too often wonder what it would have been like back then. Looking through things such as the Sears Roebuck catalog helps to give a better idea and understanding of that time period, though!

    The possibilities of ways to use the bushel basket are endless! I liked all of your suggestions! Currently, the bushel basket is sitting in our entry-way filled with gourds as fall ‘décor piece.’ Once fall is over, then I’ll have to figure out how to use it next! That is a good idea to use one of these baskets for your gardening work . . . for some reason the work always seems more pleasant when using ‘old-fashioned’ things such as baskets. :)

    Thank you again for your comment! And I hope that you have a great day as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your nursing textbook find sounds like a wonderful one, Christina! I am sure that you have enjoyed looking at it and reading it (especially the study notes in the margins!) It is always exciting to find ‘treasures.’ Especially when they are in the form of old magazines and books! :)

    The catalog was an interesting find, and we have been enjoying looking through it!

    Thank you for your comment! It was good to hear from you again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They were, Hannah! I love garage sales and thrift stores, too. :) That is exciting that you were able to find a skirt and shirt at good will! Those stores are one of my favorite places to shop. :)

    The country store down the road from you sounds fascinating! I know that I would love visiting it! What an interesting idea to paste the replica Sears Roebuck catalog pages up on the wall like wallpaper . . . I would imagine that a lot of time could be spent in that room reading all of the pages! :) Wouldn’t it be nice if mandolins were still only $8?! I am guessing then that you would like to learn how to play the mandolin? Or do you already play it?

    You’re welcome, Hannah, and thank you for the comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was good to hear from you again, Betsy! Thank you for leaving a comment! :) When I first read your question, I wasn’t even really sure what it is that draws Leah and I to the older types of things, but as I have thought about it, a couple of possible reasons came to mind . . . one, my parents both love antiques, and we have a lot of them decorating and/or being used in our home (either family heirlooms that have been passed down through the generations or ones that my parents got at antique stores.) I think another reason that draws us to these things is that the types of antiques that we like are ones that were a part of a lifestyle that we love . . . the lifestyle that revolved around the farm, home and family. I also think that there is a simplicity and beauty in the old things that, for whatever reason, is attractive to us. And in addition to that, yes, I do really like how the antiques look, too! :) I hope that helps to answer your question! I had never really thought about this before so it was interesting to try to figure out what exactly draws me/us to these types of things. :)

    Thank you again for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can just imagine being out in the apple orchard and filling up the basket with freshly picked apples, Kathleen! That is a good idea! Thank you for sharing it. :) Maybe when our apple trees begin producing the basket will be used for that!

    How wonderful that your library has sales and also bins of books, etc. that you can look through. I am sure that you have enjoyed the times that you have found things!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember when I was little, Mama never liked thunderstaorms and well..I was not a fan myself. She would pull out an old copy of the Sears & Robuck catalog...we would look through...I loved looking at the ladies clothing...and yes, the prices are something aren't they?
    I too enjoy old baskets! The one you found was great! how can you beat 50 cents?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sarah- You are 100% accurately correct in your "Breeders Gazette" assumption!!!! You have a great memory!! :o)
    ~Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful memory, Ellen!! I can just imagine all of the pleasant times you all had together while it stormed outside. Yes, the prices are something! It amazes me to see how low they are!

    No, you can’t really beat 50 cents for a basket like that! I love those types of finds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought that was what you were referring to, Ashley! :D :) But then I didn't want to say for sure just in case I wasn't right! Was that ever fun looking through that magazine together! Such fun times and such wonderful memories. :) And maybe next time you're out this way we'll have to pore over the Sears Roebuck catalog together!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)