Monday, August 9, 2010

Making Mints

Here is the recipe for the mints (plus a bit of a tutorial as well :) for those of you who requested it!

Cream Cheese Mints

--1 (3 oz.) package of cream cheese, softened
--1 Tbsp. butter, softened
--3 cups confectioners' sugar
--1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
--food coloring of your choice

First put the softened butter and cream cheese into a bowl, add the powdered sugar, and begin stirring. It will be very dry at first, and if you are anything like I was, you will wonder "what's wrong?" Never fear, though! Just keep stirring! And eventually, it will start to look like this . . .

When I got to this point, I went ahead and added the food coloring (about four drops, if I remember correctly) and the peppermint extract. Then . . . stir some more! Eventually it should begin to look like this . . .

After just a bit more stirring to get the food coloring completely mixed in, use a spoon to scrape the mixture into one large piece in the bowl, and then use your hands to shape it into a ball. Once it is into a ball, divide in half and place one half onto a piece of waxed paper (I put a cutting board underneath of the piece I used so I wouldn't scratch/cut the counter in the next step.) Roll out to the thickness you would like the mints to be, and then use a pizza cutter to cut them into little squares like this . . .

Once that was done, I removed the edge pieces that were not full squares, and then one square at a time, shaped them, placed them on a waxed covered cookie sheet, and then repeated the past few steps with the other half of the mixture . . .

At this point, they went into the freezer until they were hard; then they were removed and I let them sit for a bit to get a little moist on the outside. Once that happened, they were added a few at a time into a sandwich bag of sugar; after which the bag was shaken, the mints were coated, and voila! You have your mints . . .

The mints need to be stored in either a refrigerator or freezer until they are ready to be used. We put ours in the freezer which worked well. And are they ever good! :) I hope that you all enjoy them as much as we did!

18 comments:

  1. Those look so good Sarah! We used to make a similar recipe at Christmas, to box and give as presents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so very much for posting your delicious mint recipe which I will be trying very soon. I also enjoyed your report on the garden activities. I am so very sorry about the losses in your garden from deer and fungus. I know that must have been a great disappointment, but I hope your harvest next year will bear great fruit as a result of the changes you will be making (such as the electric fence).

    Your blog is such a tremendous blessing to me, and I do so enjoy reading about your gardening and homekeeping efforts. I have enjoyed all the posts about your brother's wedding, but I have laso been wondering about your garden and other things you have been doing, so I really appreciated your most recent blog entries.

    May God continue to bless your family. You are all a great inspiration!

    --Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Sarah, for the recipe. One thing I'm wondering...when you remove them from the freezer for the actual dinner, do you find that they need to be rolled in sugar again?

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM!! Looks great!! Cant wait to try them sometime for myself!! :) Thanks for posting the recipe! :) nd the PICTURES!! you know i how i love pictures... :P :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so good!:) I love mints, but have never tried making my own. Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Sarah,

    It was so nice to met you and your family at the wedding. Those were the best mints I have had at a wedding before. Great Job! I have enjoyed getting to know you and your sister through your blog. You both have been a refreshing encouragement. While interacting with you at the wedding I was impressed with your desire to glorify the Lord in everything that you do.
    Thank you for the testimony that you have been to me. Take care of that wonderful sister-in-law of yours. We sure do miss her!! Please tell your family hello from the Kendalls.

    Blessings,
    Christiana Kendall

    "And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment;"
    Phillipians 1:9

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing the recipe, Sarah! I am definitely looking forward to making them. I have already added the ingredients I need to our shopping list :). One question I had was, do you know about how much each batch makes (how big a ball of "dough", or how many mints, or something like that)? Thank you again!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to try that (even with out a wedding;) I wanted the recipe for it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Elizabeth! That is a good idea to use mints as gifts! I am sure the recipients always enjoyed them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much, Linda, for your sweet and encouraging comment! It was a blessing to read! And I am glad that you have been enjoying the posts. :) It has been fun to get back to ‘regular’ blogging again!

    I hope that the mint recipe works well for you, and enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You’re welcome, Betsy! No, when we removed them from the freezer for the dinner, they did not need to be coated in sugar again . . . once is all they need! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Taylor! And you’re welcome. :) Yes, I do know how you love pictures! ;) And I’m glad that you enjoyed them, and I hope that when you try the recipe, that it works very well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You’re welcome, Emily! I had never tried making mints before either, but now that I have, I will definitely be doing it again in the future. They are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so very much, Christiana, for your sweet comment as well as your encouraging words! It was wonderful to hear from you! I, too, so enjoyed meeting you and your sisters at the wedding. It is always such an encouragement to spend time with and visit with other young ladies with similar convictions. You all were a blessing!

    And we’re doing the best we can to take care of our wonderful sister-in-law. :) I can well imagine how much you all must miss her! She certainly is special!

    I passed your ‘hellos’ onto my family and they are returned from all of us here. :) Thank you again for your note!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You’re welcome, Anna! I hope that you enjoy making the mints! (and eating them, too. :) I am sorry that I didn’t include how many mints the recipe made. I’m not sure exactly how many it makes as it all depends on how large the mints are, but if I remember correctly, each batch that I did made about 225 to 250 mints. I hope that helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have fun making them, Desiree! And you’re welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those look delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're welcome, Joy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)