Yesterday, I leveled out a spot for the beehive and set it up! Just seeing it sitting there makes me all the more eager and excited for tomorrow when the bees arrive . . . though I am getting a bit nervous, too! This past week I read just about all the way through a beekeeping book to refresh my mind, read online once again about how to install bees and about the first several hive inspections, and tomorrow I'll likely watch a video or two online as well about installation. It's going to be interesting to see how it all goes!
In addition to setting up the hive, there was a great deal more done yesterday . . . and my body is reminding me of it today - as in, I am sore! Though, that's not due just to yesterday's work as the days previous were rather full of outdoor work as well. :) Here's a little glimpse into some of that work from yesterday and also a few other photos that were taken recently . . .
~One of the compost bins has filled up quickly already as yesterday I moved the two compost piles that we already had into the bins. One was a large pile of what Leah had hauled out of the chicken coop this past fall, and it took a long time to move all of that. It is decomposing well and will be ready to go on the garden this fall . . . little by little the garden soil is improving!
~All of the logs that Daddy had sawn up are now stacked! (Right behind this stack is another one as well.) Most of the logs I hauled with the wheelbarrow, but the really big ones that were too heavy for me to lift into the wheelbarrow, I used our dolly for. That worked really well! The only disadvantage, though, is that only one log could be moved at a time. :) Now all that is left on the ground to chain saw up are just the trunks of several trees. We're almost finished!
~One of our varieties of strawberries that we had planted last year never grew (the roots were moldy when we received them in the mail), so the nursery sent twenty-five free replacement plants for us this spring. They arrived on Wednesday so yesterday after doing all of the above projects, I tilled up a spot for them by the other strawberries and got them all planted and then mulched with straw.
One of the things that Leah was working on this past week was setting up the outdoor enclosed pen for the chicks to move into once they were big enough. And yesterday was moving day for them! Once they 'settled in', they really started enjoying all of the extra space . . .
Some of the chicks . . . they're still a little nervous here after their move. (And the red in the photo is from the red light . . . not only does it provide the necessary heat, but it also helps to minimize any pecking.)
This little chick made me laugh! I guess standing on the ground to eat must not be original enough. :)
In addition to all of the outdoor work, our home has been abuzz with activity too . . . no matter how much work there is to be done outdoors, there is still the house cleaning to do, bread to be baked, meals to be prepared and cooked, laundry to be washed, sewing to be done . . . and then of course, things like playing music always fits in there as well. :) Needless to say, our spring days have been pleasantly and satisfyingly full and overflowing!
And to bring this post to a close, here are a few photos that were taken on a couple of different evening walks that I enjoyed this week . . .
The Irises have begun blooming! This particular variety always blooms first, and I love the rich color that they have.
I'm not sure if these are mushrooms or what, but they are growing on an old stump down in the woods, and they are each about a foot across! I've never seen anything quite like them before.