Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Daddy's Birthday

Yesterday was my Dad's birthday, and what a fun and special day it was! Ryan and Ashley came over in the evening which made it even more so. :) And in the early afternoon, Dad, Mom, Leah and I went for a drive down to the Missouri River which was an adventure! The gravel road that goes down to the river (and is very long) was quite sloppy due to all of the rain that we had had, and there were four or five spots where water covered the road so we got to drive through that . . . .



This was one of the narrower places of water over the road, but it was a deeper one . . . and fun to drive through! :)
It's getting muddier . . . . :)

We were glad that we had decided to drive the truck there instead of bringing the car as there is no way that the car would have made it through!


Dad and Mom down at the river looking at . . . something :) I am not sure what!

Leah on the quest for birds . . . only she didn't see any. There was an elusive Northern Parula (a beautiful, small warbler) calling high up in the trees, but none of us could find him

The river is so beautiful . . . I love watching and listening to the water flowing

Dad and Mom enjoy watching and listening to it to . . . it is so peaceful

The river is really high right now so the boat ramp was almost completely covered . . . and with the ramp underneath, it made interesting waves/ripples in the water

The train tracks that we cross to get down to the river

Crossing the river on the highway . . . in the distance is the old railroad bridge. It could raise and lower in the center to allow the ships and barges through.

There are two places where we can go down to the river at, so we stopped by the second one as well . . .

There was a lot of debris, logs, etc. floating downstream including this huge tree

Looking downstream

Daddy on the banks of the river

The river is so high right now that the spot where we took our family photo several years ago is completely covered in water. It is amazing how different it looks now!

So there is glimpse into the wonderful day that we had together celebrating Daddy's birthday! How very thankful I am for the Dad that the Lord has blessed me with. There are so many things that I appreciate about him including . . .

~his love for the Lord and His Word

~his love for his family

~his desire to lead and guide our family where the Lord leads

~his desire to serve the Lord and be obedient to Him in all things

~his sense of humor :)

~how he likes to spend time with us and help us on projects

~his unconditional love

~his support and encouragement

~how he can always make me laugh

~late night conversations about anything and everything . . . from scriptural topics, to things I am struggling with, to whatever is on my heart, to everyday life and much more

I could go on and on as there are so many things that I appreciate about my Dad. How very thankful I am for him! I love you so much, Daddy!

12 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your father! I pray that he had a very blessed day!
    It looks as though your family had a wonderful time together. Thank you for sharing the many lovely photographs!

    Many Blessings,
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, you are indeed blessed to ahve such a Dad. My father died when I was only seven, so I had no time with him.
    I'm so glad you had such an enjoyable day....and what wonderful scenery you showed us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to your dad! It looks like you had such a nice family time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will pass your birthday greetings on to my Dad, Jenna. :) Thank you! Yes, we did have a wonderful time together, and I am glad that you enjoyed the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would agree, Elizabeth. :) I am so sorry to hear that your father died when you were only seven . . . that would have been so very hard. What a blessing, though, that you did have those seven years together.

    I am glad that you enjoyed the photos, and thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Joy! And yes, we did have a very nice time together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looked on your profile, but I didn't see where you lived. I looked at this post and the scenery appeared so familiar, I just knew you had to live in Missouri.

    ~Annah~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday to your Dad! :o) As always enjoyed all your pictures. I also love watching and listening to a river and or water in general. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to my blog, Annah, and thank you for your comment! Yes, you guessed right . . . we're in Missouri! It's such a beautiful state. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Nabila! And I am glad that you enjoyed the photos. :) Isn't it so peaceful to watch and listen to water flowing? I love doing that as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a special day for your family. Thank you so much for sharing this special time with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was very much so, Miss Linda. :) And you're welcome!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)