Thursday, May 19, 2011

Babies on the Way . . .

Monday of this week, Leah put the nestbox in with the doe who is pregnant, and within the next few days, we should have baby rabbits! Which we are excited about. :) The doe has begun pulling fur and building a nest in the box, and she has also put on quite a bit of weight the past week . . . it will be interesting to see how many she has!


In addition to the rabbits, our 'animal population' will be increasing by a significant amount over the next week as our first bees will begin hatching . . .

The frame with capped brood in the center

Our second hive inspection last week revealed lots of capped brood, larvae, eggs, and also capped honey. It was so amazing to see all of the many changes that had taken place in the hive since we had last looked! And speaking of honeybees, this morning I was running through my mind some of the different verses that I have memorized in order to review them, and one of the verses was from Proverbs . . .

"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." Proverbs 16:24

As I reviewed this verse, some thoughts came to mind . . . with studying about and having honeybees, this verse has grown to have more depth to it than what I had previously seen. One, seeing the honeycomb in the hive with all of the honey carefully stored away on it and considering that this is a parallel to how sweet these "pleasant words" are to others when we speak them. Another thing that stood out to me was the mention of the healing properties of honey. More and more it seems the many healing properties of honey are being discovered, and honey (and other products of the hive) is being used in greater proportions for medicinal purposes. And all along, God had it in His Word. :)

With having these thoughts fresh in my mind now, it will be a bit of a different perspective opening up the hive next time. And as I sit here and type, my mind is getting curious . . . I think I just might do a little study and find out in what ways honey is mentioned in Scripture. That should be interesting!

16 comments:

  1. I think a Bible study about honey, and bees for that matter, would be quite interesting, too!

    It is so exciting that you will soon have little kits! It will be interesting to see how many she has. I'm excited for you!

    Your beehive is doing so very well, it seems! I'm amazed that they are laying eggs already. I have truly enjoyed joining you on this journey as you set up your first hive and watch it flourish.

    Once the eggs hatch, will they just join the current hive or will they fly away to start their own hive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, wouldnt that make a fascinating Bible Study?
    I am also very interested in the healing powers of honey. It has amazing properties I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you are excited about the baby rabbits Sarah.
    I have to say I love honey & have some toast almost every morning spread with honey ~ yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I understand capped brood...at first (I wasn't sure what you meant. :) The bees really have been busy..honeycomb still amazes me the way it is perfect.
    How fun to have wee rabbits! I look forward to seeing pics of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd be interested to read and learn more about bees and honey in the Bible.

    Once again your blog has brought inspiration into my life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has been, Miss Linda! I haven’t had a great deal of time to study it yet, but what I have seen so far certainly has been interesting.

    The little kits were born today! (And I’m impressed that you knew what they are called. :) She had 7 of them this evening, and we peeked into the nest box for just a moment to count them and to check them to make sure they were all alive and well. They are cute little things . . . at least I think they are anyway. :)

    We did another hive inspection today, and it looks like things are moving along very well with that. And . . . we saw the queen! This was our first sighting of her since she was released so we were excited about that. Once the eggs hatch, those worker bees will become part of the current hive. The number should keep increasing until eventually there are 60,000 to 100,000 bees in the hive. I hope that helps to answer your question!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has been fascinating so far, Elizabeth! And I am looking forward to studying it more closely soon. Honey does have amazing properties, and like you I am interested in finding out more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are excited, Marie! And in fact, the baby rabbits were born just this evening. :) All seven of them are doing well!

    Mmm . . . honey on toast is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad that it makes more sense now, Ellen! If you’re anything like me, seeing a photo helps so much in understanding things like this.

    Yes, it will be fun to have the baby rabbits! They were born just this evening, and I’m hoping to get some photos of them before long. Right now, though, Mama rabbit is just a little protective of them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It has been interesting so far to study about bees/honey in the Bible, Suze, and maybe when I’m finished, I might share some of the findings here. :)

    Thank you for your sweet comment! And I am glad that what is shared here on my blog has been a blessing to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your new babies will be so neat...I just love rabbits...they are so cute! I'd still like to get the children a few for pets. :)

    Great thoughts on the bee Bible verses, too.

    Hope you have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are, Joy! We really like rabbits as well, and it has been fun having them again. I am sure your children would love having some for pets! They make wonderful ones . . . in fact, Leah's first pet was a rabbit. :)

    Thank you for your comment, Joy, and I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like your blog. Come follow mine as we both live in mo. I in St Louis. God has kept us safe. Trees down near us and hail not too far away but nothign but rain at our house although we had a tornado not far away.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for your kind comment, Savories of Life, and welcome to my blog! I am glad that you all made it safely through the storms. We had hail, strong winds, and heavy rains here, but thankfully that was all. Though, like you all, there were tornadoes nearby.

    I look forward to visiting your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhh the changes! :o) I was watching a bee buzzing around all over my lavender plant today and it was so fun to watch. What a great study that would be. Are you going to share what you find with us? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bees are so fun to watch, Nabila! I love just going out to the hive and sitting and watching them, or heading over to the flower gardens and watching them there. What fascinating little creatures they are! And how fun for you to be able to have the opportunity to observe them as well.

    I'll have to see about sharing the study findings here. :) I was thinking of it being more for my own personal benefit, but perhaps it might be interesting to blog readers as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)