Saturday, May 21, 2011

Celebrating a Birthday


Mom's birthday was this week, and we had a memorable and fun time celebrating it all together! (including Ryan and Ashley as they came over for the evening. :) In addition to some of the traditional birthday activities, in our family for a person's birthday we'll also generally go and do something together. Often it might be going for a hike, driving through a conservation area and birdwatching, or something along those lines; but this time with rain falling outdoors and a temperature that was rather chilly, we opted for an indoor activity of antiquing! Which is something that we all enjoy.

We visited one of our favorite antique stores (that just happens to be here in town) and spent a pleasurable few hours walking up and down the many aisles . . . looking
through stacks of books, examining old farming implements, attempting to figure out how different items work, admiring the beautifully simple wooden furniture (and picking out our favorite pieces :), looking at the different kitchen items, gently handling some of the well-loved and beautiful quilts, and much more.

At this particular store, each of the booths is also set up so attractively, and many of
the booths have detailed labels on their items so it is fun (and often educational!) to read the labels and figure out what things are. Usually you can tell just by looking at an item what it is, but then there are others that are quite puzzling until you read the label. And even then sometimes you're still not sure what exactly it is! :)
After getting back from antiquing, we pulled out a table and Mom and Leah put together a puzzle (which was one of her birthday gifts) while Dad and I were their moral support. :) They both have a knack for puzzles and even though this one was quite difficult, it didn't take them long to get it all put together!

All in all it was a special birthday for Mom, and a special time together as a family. How thankful I am that the Lord blessed us with the mother that we have . . . her love, her care, her servant heart, her encouragement, her laughter, her patience, they are all such blessings and add so much to our lives. Thank you so much, Mom, and we love you!

18 comments:

  1. How fun! Tell your sweet mother happy birthday for me!

    Love,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 22, 2011

    Thank you for your kind words and for helping me to have such a special day!

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Sarah's Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousMay 22, 2011

    Happy birthday to your dear mother! Sarah, I recently found your blog and want to commend you on your writing ability. You have clearly been taught well and are very well-spoken. I look forward to your posts, often being so touched by the simple joys you find in everything about which you write.

    You are SO blessed with a mother such as you have described. May you find time each day to acknowledge how precious she is to you.

    God bless,
    Sarah in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonne Anniversaire from France to your mum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a special day!! I hope everyone had a wonderful time and wish your mother many joyful years with her loving family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's amazing how much Leah and your Mom look alike in this picture. And how neat that they both share the joy of puzzles! It sounds as though her birthday was a very happy one indeed.

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was, Joy! And thank you for your kind comment . . . she appreciated it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, you're welcome, Mom! And thank you for your comment! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Becky, for your birthday greeting to my Mom! I will pass it on to her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to my blog, Sarah, and thank you so much for your sweet comment! It was an encouragement to read. Thank you!

    I am indeed blessed to have the mother that I do . . . and I am so thankful to the Lord for blessing me with her! And she's the one that helped me a lot with my writing through the years. :) Along with my Dad as he is a great writer as well, and his editing advice, etc. have been such a help to me.

    Thank you again for your kind comment, for the encouragement, and for the birthday greeting to my Mom . . . I will pass it on to her. :) I hope that you continue to enjoy your visits here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Elizabeth! I will pass your kind note on to her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was, Miss Linda! We had such a wonderful time together. Thank you for your sweet comment, and I know it will be a blessing to my Mom when I share it with her!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Leah and our Mom do look a lot a like, don't they, Betsy?! They hear that quite often. :) And yes, it is nice that they both share a love of puzzles, and it is always fun listening to them while they work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy "Late" Birthday to your mom!
    Sorry, I've been missing some posts.
    Blessings,
    Miss Anne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Miss Anne! And I will pass it on to her. :)

    Thank you also for stopping by and leaving comments . . . it's always nice to see ones from you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy *belated* birthday to your mother. What a wonderful day you all had! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I will pass it on to her, Nabila! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)