Saturday, June 25, 2011

Memorizing and Meditating on Scripture

As I have been going through these busy spring (and now summer) days, there has been much opportunity to think while working on various tasks . . . and something that has been on my heart and on my mind for awhile was at the forefront of this thought. To put it in a few words: growing in Christ and not becoming stagnant in my walk with Him. I was seeing a tendency in myself to get caught up in the busyness of the day and losing the focus of being heavenly minded, and as it says in the book of Colossians, having my mind set on the things above and not on the things that are on earth.

I was missing opportunities to minister to others as my mind was often focused elsewhere and was not actively looking and searching for ways to be the Light of Christ to others.
Not only that, but it felt like I was beginning to stagnate in my walk with Christ as well instead of continuing to grow and mature. As I thought and prayed about this . . . about how to "press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus", about how to keep my heart and mind focused where they should be all throughout the day and not just in the morning and evening during my times of Bible reading and prayer, something came to mind.


I was reminded of two round boxes that sit next to my bed . . .
I was reminded that one of those boxes was filled with hundreds of slips of paper with Scripture verses on them that, back in 2003, I had typed and handwritten out . . . verses that had spoken to my heart during my daily Bible reading and that had been written down in my notebook . . .

I was reminded of what I used to do with those verses.
Why I had stopped, I cannot remember, but it was like a light-bulb went off in my head. Here was one way (among others that the Lord has been showing me) that could help me in the areas that I was seeing need for growth in.


So after a several year's break, I am back to pulling out a slip of paper a day and memorizing the verse (or verses) on it and meditating on it throughout the day. If it isn't learned by the end of the next morning, I'll wait to draw out a new one until it is. After only doing this for about a month so far, it has
already been a wonderful blessing to me! Scripture is being memorized and hidden in my heart, the verses are being thought about and meditated upon throughout the day (which has helped so much in regards to having my heart and mind fixed where they need to be, and has also helped me gain a deeper understanding of the verses themselves), and the verses often come to mind to help me in my walk with Christ and remind me of how I should (and shouldn't) be living and being . . . especially in how I respond to others and what my heart should be.


The Lord is so faithful . . . when we seek, He will let us find. And how thankful I am that He helped me see through some of the 'fog' in my own life, and to be able to step just a little closer along this path of growing in Christ. It is a long, and sometimes hard, journey, but what a wonderful journey it is and what joy there is along the way! What peace and what love from the Father that He is so ready to pour abundantly into our hearts as we abide in Him the true Vine! He is good, He is faithful, and words cannot express how very grateful I am for who He is to me . . . for who He is to each of His children.

"Your lovingkindness, O LORD, extends to the heavens, Your faithfulness reaches to the skies. Your righteousness is like the mountains of God; Your judgments are like a great deep. O LORD, You preserve man and beast. How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God! And the children of men take refuge in the shadow of Your wings. They drink their fill of the abundance of Your house; and You give them to drink of the river of Your delights. For with You is the fountain of life; in Your light we see light. O continue Your lovingkindness to those who know You, and Your righteousness to the upright in heart."
Psalm 36:5-10

14 comments:

  1. Oh Sarah....what a lovely way to remind ourselves of His Word.

    Because we do need reminding - every moment of our days.

    Thank you for sharing.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to memorize more scripture and this looks like a way that I could handle. :o) Thanks for the idea! And PTL for God's leading :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful idea, Sarah! I keep Scripture verses that I have printed on little cards at my desk at work, and look through them frequently during the day. It really helps me keep my mind on things above.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea! I have been thinking along the same lines lately - I just found a verse in Psalms last night where the Lord basically asks, "Didn't I give you my Word to comfort you and make you ready to share the truth?"

    Thanks for the idea and the encouragement! :-)

    Love in Christ,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your sweet comment, Maria! As you shared, we do need reminding of His Word every moment . . . to be reminded of where our hearts and minds should be.

    You're welcome in regards to sharing, and I am glad that it was a blessing to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that this idea will be helpful to you, Nabila! For me, it has worked well, and it doesn't take long to memorize verses this way.

    And yes, praise the Lord for how He leads! He is so good to His children!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea to keep Scripture verse cards at your desk, Miss Linda! I am sure those are a blessing and encouragement to you as you go throughout your day. Thank you for sharing!

    That is another thing that I appreciate about having these verses on little slips of paper . . . I can bring them with me. Whether on the counter while cooking/baking, on the sewing table when working on a project, etc. As you shared, it really helps to keep ones' mind on the things above.

    Thank you again for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing that, Vicki! And how true it is . . . His Word is so needful for our lives, for comfort, for encouragement, for sharing with others, for teaching, and so much more.

    You’re welcome in regards to sharing, and thank you for your encouragement! It’s always such a blessing when believers in Christ can mutually encourage one another.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this idea. I'm going to try it. I occasionally write verses down and carry them with me if I need encouragement, but doing what you do on a daily basis will really plant the word in my heart. I had a prayer jar at one time but I got out of the habit of using it. I wrote down the names of all the family members, friends, coworkers and neighbors I could think of and I would pull one out each day and try to pray for that person throughout my day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful idea! Thank you for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to my blog, Amanda, and thank you for your comment! I hope that this idea will be helpful to you. It has been a great blessing to me for as you shared, it really helps to plant God’s Word in one’s heart.

    Thank you for sharing some of what you have/had been doing! I like your idea of a prayer jar . . . I may have to implement something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome to my blog, Robin, and thank you for your sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your boxes! It's so pretty!

    That's a great idea about how you memorize your Bible verses! Maybe I will give it a try using your suggestion and see if I liked it or not and whether it's working out for me or not to memorize and meditate God's word. So far, I haven't found the right method yet that works for me to memorize and meditate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Leah! The boxes were a gift to me from a young girl that I used to teach. It was so thoughtful of her, and I really like them as well!

    I hope that this Bible memorization idea will work well for you, and if not, that you will be able to find a way that will be a help to you. So far for me, this idea has worked well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)