Friday, June 17, 2011

A Pretzel Experiment

Awhile back, I came across a soft pretzel recipe online that looked really good, so I printed it off in hopes of trying it soon. Yesterday, in between working out in the garden, the recipe was pulled out and the pretzels were made . . .


These were fun to make, though I would make one change for next time . . . less salt! They were really salty and needed a lot less of the coarse salt on them than what I used, and maybe a little less salt in the dough as well. Here is the original recipe for them (using a bread machine to mix the dough), though I used all whole wheat instead of the bread flour . . .

Whole Wheat Soft Pretzels

Dough:
--1/2 cup water
--1 cup milk
--1 Tbsp. sugar
--1 cup whole wheat flour
--3 cups bread flour
--1 1/4 tsp. salt
--1 Tbsp. yeast

Soda wash:
--8 cups water
--1/4 cup baking soda

For topping:
--Coarse salt OR
--melted butter and cinnamon and sugar

In the pan of a bread machine, assemble the dough ingredients in the order recommended. Set the machine to the dough cycle. When the cycle ends, remove the dough to a slightly oiled surface, Divide the dough into 12 equal parts.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper. (Instead of the parchment paper, I simply greased the cookie sheets generously.)

Roll each portion of dough into a long snake, about 18 inches long. Shape the snake into a horseshoe. Twist the sides of the horseshoe, about halfway up, around each other twice. Flip the ends over onto the U of the horseshoe. Press to seal. Continue until all the pretzels are shaped. (It sounds more complicated than it is . . . it's really simple once you actually start doing it!)

Meanwhile, bring the 8 cups of water to a boil. Add the baking soda and continue to boil. Drop the formed pretzels, one at a time into the soda bath. Boil for about 30 seconds (as they boiled, I pushed them down a bit into the boiling water as well) and then remove to the greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with coarse salt, if desired.

Once all of the pretzels have been "bathed", bake for 9-10 minutes or until golden brown.

If you prefer sweet pretzels, instead of the coarse salt, brush the baked pretzels with melted butter and sprinkle them with cinnamon and sugar before serving. Enjoy!

18 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I've never tried pretzels before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, these look wonderful! I love that you can use the bread machine. I know that these are sure to be a "must bake" at our house.♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything you cook or bake always looks so GOOD, Sarah! I don't know if it's the food or the photography--probably both!:-)

    I was just thinking about soft-baked pretzels the other day...we are definitely going to try this. Thanks for sharing!

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, those look so delicious! I have never made pretzels, but I have the longing to now!

    In Christ,
    ~Shannon~

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great! Thanks for the recipe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look gorgeous Sarah ~ another recipe added to the to do list lol!!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. They were, Miss Sarah! I hadn’t tried pretzels before this either, and I was pleased with how easy they were to make and how they turned out (other than being a little too salty, that is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Ellen! I liked the fact that these use a bread machine as well as it makes the process go so quickly. When you have the opportunity to try these, I hope you all enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Betsy, for your sweet comment! You are too kind. :)

    I hope you and your family enjoy these when you have the opportunity to make them. And you’re welcome in regards to sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They were, Shannon! I hadn’t made pretzels before either, and was pleasantly surprised with how easy these were to make. I am sure you would enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You’re welcome, Miss Anne! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Marie! I hope you enjoy them whenever you are able to make them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look so delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're welcome, Miss Linda! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE pretzels! I might have to try making these. I have made bagels before and they were pretty easy to make and really tasty. Have you made bagels before?

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you do try these, Nabila, I hope that you enjoy them! That's neat that you have made bagels before. I haven’t done so yet, but about the same time I found the pretzel recipe, I found one for bagels, and I plan to try them soon. I am looking forward to that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just a note to tell you that I tried your pretzl recipe today. We wanted to serve a traditional Bavarian (south German) dish (white sausage with sweet mustard) to our guests and these are traditionally served with Pretzls. I had to adjust the temperatures to our fan oven which can be a bit tricky at times, but this time it went very well - everyone loved it so I think I'm definitely going to do it again! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for stopping by, Agnes, and letting me know that you tried these! I am so glad that they turned out well for you and that you all liked them. I am sure your guests enjoyed the lovely meal that you made them!

    You’re welcome in regards to sharing the recipe, and again, thank you for stopping by and leaving this note!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)