Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Fear of the Lord - A Quote from Andrew Murray

Lately I have been reading another book by Andrew Murray titled Holy in Christ. At first, I wasn't sure what I was going to think of it as there were several things at the beginning of the book that I do not agree with and some of his parallels didn't seem quite accurate. But I kept reading, and have since been blessed by many of the things that were later shared including the below quote . . .

It is the fear of the Lord that works that meekness and gentleness, that deliverance from self-confidence and self-consciousness, which form the true groundwork of a saintly character.

As I thought about what is shared in this quote, and what Murray went on to share about how in Scripture the fear of God and holiness are so often linked together, I was reminded of a verse from Proverbs . . .

"Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised" (Proverbs 31:30.)

How convicting both the quote and this verse are to me!
There is so much room for growth in my own heart in these areas. To be seeking earnestly to cultivate a heart that truly does fear the Lord . . . a fear that then bears the fruit of holiness in Christ. Seeking always to learn and grow in this and to follow the Lord's command to "be holy as I am holy" and "like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior" (1 Peter 1:15 and 16.)

Needless to say, even though there are things that I disagree with in this book, I am thankful for it as I have been blessed and convicted by many of the things that have been shared and I am looking forward to continuing to read it!

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that lovely quote. To fear the Lord is such a beautiful virtue, and one that is the root of many more...

    In Christ,
    ~Shannon~

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's strange how a book can almost put you off reading it, but then you go further and find it starts to speak to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also had some reservations about some of Andrew Murray's writings in "Holy in Christ", but like you, I have also found some nuggets of great wisdom! Thank you for sharing this wonderful quote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You’re welcome, Shannon! I am glad that it was a blessing to you. And as you shared, the fear of the Lord is a beautiful virtue, and from it, stem so many others. How important it is for us to cultivate it in our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is indeed, Elizabeth! As I mentioned in this post, there are things I disagree with in this book, but then things that have greatly blessed my heart as well. So as I read, I’m kind of needing to separate the wheat from the chaff so to speak!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Miss Linda, for sharing that! There are several things in this book that gave me reservations, too (and I am still not finished with it yet so there may be more things that come up as I read.) But then as you shared, there are nuggets of great wisdom as well. Which makes it all the more important for us to use discernment in our reading . . . to be as the Bereans in the book of Acts and examine all things with God’s Word recognizing that men are fallible and will have error.

    I am glad that the quote was a blessing to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quote! I have found that even with blogging it's like books. There are some that I don't always agree with, some I almost totally agree with, but I feel that God has brought me to certain ones for the blessing He had for me nestled in the words penned by others. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)