Saturday, July 9, 2011

Homemade Croutons

We have been enjoying fresh from the garden salad just about every day now since the lettuce was first ready to harvest (which was quite awhile ago) . . .


And I have been enjoying making from scratch some of the things that go along with the salad . . . things such as salad dressing and croutons (the latter of which was a new one for me this year) . . .



After a quick search online, I found a recipe that sounded good, and I was pleasantly surprised at how very simple these are to make. For those of you who would like to try to make your own croutons, below is the recipe with the few changes that I made to it . . .

Italian Croutons

--2 Tbsp. butter
--2 Tbsp. olive oil
--1/2 tsp. garlic powder
--1/2 tsp. onion powder
--a heaping1/2 tsp. dried oregano
--a heaping 1/2 tsp. dried basil
--a pinch of salt
--4 cups bread cubes (I use the wheat bread that I make)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Warm oil and butter in a saucepan until the butter is melted. Add seasonings and mix well. Add bread cubes to mixture and toss to coat all the cubes. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes (mine took longer), stirring occasionally until golden brown. Cool completely and store in an airtight container. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. They look so so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah...these look yummy! You mentioned garlic powder twice...should that be some other ingredient, or was it just mentioned twice?

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Betsy, for noticing that! One of those is supposed to be onion powder. I read this through several times to check the ingredients before posting so I have no idea how I missed that one! Thanks again! It's corrected now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great! Thanks for the recipe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome, Miss Anne!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)