Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Sunday Hymn ~ The Haven of Rest

My soul in sad exile was out on life’s sea,
So burdened with sin and distressed,
Till I heard a sweet voice, saying, “Make Me your choice”;

And I entered the “Haven of Rest”!


I’ve anchored my soul in the “Haven of Rest,”

I’ll sail the wide seas no more;

The tempest may sweep over wild, stormy, deep,

In Jesus I’m safe evermore.


I yielded myself to His tender embrace,
In faith taking hold of the Word,

My fetters fell off, and I anchored my soul;

The “Haven of Rest” is my Lord.


I’ve anchored my soul in the “Haven of Rest,”

I’ll sail the wide seas no more;

The tempest may sweep over wild, stormy, deep,

In Jesus I’m safe evermore.


The song of my soul, since the Lord made me whole,

Has been the old story so blest,

Of Jesus, who’ll save whosoever will have

A home in the “Haven of Rest.”


I’ve anchored my soul in the “Haven of Rest,”

I’ll sail the wide seas no more;

The tempest may sweep over wild, stormy, deep,

In Jesus I’m safe evermore.


Oh, come to the Savior, He patiently waits
To save by His power divine;
Come, anchor your soul in the “Haven of Rest,”

And say, “My Beloved is mine.”


I’ve anchored my soul in the “Haven of Rest,”

I’ll sail the wide seas no more;

The tempest may sweep over wild, stormy, deep,

In Jesus I’m safe evermore.

Written by Henry L. Gilmour; published 1890



"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will given you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and My burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30.)

"For we who have believed enter that rest . . . " (Hebrews 4:3.)

"More than the sounds of many waters, than the mighty breakers of the sea, the LORD on high is mighty." (Psalm 93:4.)


9 comments:

  1. Oh Sarah, how this spoke to my heart this morning. Thank you for giving me these much needed words, In Jesus, I'm safe evermore, my haven of rest.
    Blessings to you,

    ReplyDelete
  2. What reassuring words those are. Thank you Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is suc ha beautiful hymn! I have never heard it before, so as I read its beautiful words I was blessed to ponder its message.

    In Christ,
    ~Shannon~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos, Sarah, and a lovely hymn. Oh, that rest sounds so good today...it has been a long, busy, eventful week. What a blessing to enter into the haven of rest that Christ provides!

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad that it was a blessing to you, Miss Anne. It is amazing how the Lord works to encourage us when we need it . . . yes indeed, He is our haven of rest and we are always, forevermore safe in Him. Thank you for sharing your heart as it was a blessing to me to read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are indeed, Elizabeth. And you’re welcome in regards to sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is, Shannon! I am glad that it was a blessing to you. I hadn’t heard of it either until sometime in the past year, and it quickly became one of my favorites. I wish you could hear the melody as well as it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Betsy! It is indeed a blessing to have Christ as our haven of rest and that we can always rest in Him no matter how stormy the sea . . . what a wonderful Savior He is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful hymn! :o) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)