Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Morning Walk

Mornings begin rather early for me as I head outdoors about the time that the sun is peeking above the treetops to take care of the animal chores. Lately, even this time of day has been hot, but this morning when I stepped out the backdoor, I was pleasantly surprised to find it comfortable outdoors. I could tell right away that the humidity was lower and that makes all the difference. After taking care of Lassie, feeding the chicks, watering the rabbits, letting the hens out and watering them, it still felt so nice out so I went indoors to get my camera and went for a pleasant walk around our place . . . would you care to join me? :)


I first walked out to the garden and the hens were out by there enjoying hunting bugs in the cool of the morning . . .


And here is what the garden is looking like right now, weeds and all . . .

For this photo, I was standing up on the old 'fort' that my Dad had built for us when we were little . . . thus why it is looking down on the garden. And there is more garden back to the left as well which can't be seen in this photo.

It looks like there will be some zucchini harvested today . . . . :)

The few carrot seeds that didn't get washed away in the rain have grown and the plants are doing very well!

The tomato plants are loaded with green tomatoes

And a few are beginning to turn red now, too

A little watermelon nestled under the plant vines and a marigold plant . . . I am looking forward to fresh, juicy watermelon from the garden!

Since the bee hive is right by the garden, I walked over there next and saw that some of the bees were busy rather early . . .


Back behind the vegetable garden, it is more 'wild' . . . as in, we don't mow it and let the grass and wildflowers (and weeds :) grow. There are some beautiful flowers blooming there now . . .

Coneflowers and Black-Eyed Susans amidst wild grasses and yes, weeds :)

I have no idea what these are, but aren't they beautiful?

By now, I had walked around the back of the vegetable garden and the orchard and had come to Leah's flower garden where a few flowers are still blooming . . .



A walk down our driveway came next, and it was so peaceful . . . I love this time of day!

Looking down the first curve of our driveway

A spiderweb along the side of the driveway . . . it was wet with dew which the sun was reflecting off of. Whenever I see these, it always amazes me how such a tiny spider can create something like this! Yet another evidence of the Creator.

Wild plums . . . our crop will be a lot smaller this year as the late frost and lack of pollination took their toll. But at least we should get some to turn into jelly!

The moon above the treetops

After going back up the driveway, I walked behind the house and photographed a few things there as well . . .

More strawberries are ready to harvest! These are from the plants that I planted this year.

There is a bunch of winter squash planted back there as well

I stopped by the chick's pen as well, and they were enjoying resting in the shade . . . until I came into their pen that is. :) Then they all came running up curious and wanting to 'investigate'

Some of our baby rabbits that are not so little anymore. Leah pulled all of the bucks out of the doe's cage so they have their own cage now. They sure are friendly little guys and love to be petted!

It was beginning to get warm out and as I had walked all the way around our place, I headed inside to be greeted by another of our rabbits . . .


He does not tolerate the heat well at all, so he has been staying indoors lately which he loves. Maybe that's due to all of the extra petting he's been getting. :)

A refreshing time spent reading my Bible came next . . .


And I was especially blessed by a few of the verses that I read in Hebrews . . ."Therefore . . . let us also lay aside every encumberance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." (Hebrews 12:1-2.)

How convicting and encouraging these verses are! After spending some time reading and then reviewing the verses that I have memorized so far, the 'regular' tasks of the day began . . . laundry, house cleaning, and things along those lines. Followed by playing my hammered dulcimer a bit, and then going outdoors with Dad to do a quick bee hive inspection.
And now as I sit here and type this, I can hear the sound of the guitar as Leah practices down in our room . . . I love hearing her play!

Today promises to be yet another busy day with washing, snapping and putting up green beans, practicing music, making bread, and then whatever else happens to come up. So, as the time is ticking away, I think I had better go get started on the green beans!

9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful property! You have such pretty flowers and all those fruits and vegetables look delicious! It looks like you had a great morning :)

    Thank you for sharing it.

    God Bless,

    Ashley-Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, what a truly beautiful walk through your lovely place.
    I think the blue flower is one of the Campanula family, but cant think of its name.
    You asked what roast Beetroot is...well it is just roast Beets. We use the whole word but you call them Beets! If you'd like the recipe I will send it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed our walk around your farm. Beautiful pictures and such a peaceful place. :-)
    The tall blue flower is a "Tall Bellflower" (Campanula americana) which flowers from June - October.
    Blessings to you and thank you for your sweet comment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful Sarah ~ I wish I could say it was hot here in the mornings!!!! It's almost lunchtime & quite cold so I am going to do some vigorous house work to get me warmed up lol!!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Ashley-Joydana! I am so thankful that we are able to live where we do. And yes, the fruits and vegetables are delicious! We have certainly been enjoying them . . . though I was a little disappointed to go out this morning and find that ‘something’ had eaten the strawberries that were ready to harvest!

    Yes, I did have a wonderful morning, and I am glad that you enjoyed the post about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad that you enjoyed it, Elizabeth! Thank you for sharing what family the blue flower is in . . . after reading your comment, I was going to look it up, but then Miss Anne shared the name for it in her comment below yours. And you were right in regards to what family it was in!

    Thank you for sharing about what roast beetroot is. It sounds like it would be good, and if it wasn’t too much trouble, I would love to have the recipe! Thank you for offering. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Miss Anne, for your sweet comment and for sharing the name of the flower! It will be nice now to be able to identify it by name when I see it again. For some reason, I just like knowing the names of different plants, flowers and trees so now thanks to you and Elizabeth, I have another one learned. :)

    You’re welcome in regards to the comment left on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have an idea, Marie! How about I send you some of our hot and you send us some of your cold? :) Wouldn’t that be nice?! Too bad it isn’t exactly possible, as I sure would enjoy some cooler weather right now. The entire forecast looks like it will continue to be hot and dry . . . this could end up being a long summer if this trend continues!

    I hope that you enjoy your housework and that it worked to warm you up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really enjoyed the walk with all your pictures! Especially with the sun peaking through the trees and the spiders web! :o) I LOVE looking at them in the mornings with the dew as well. The minute details are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)