Sunday, July 24, 2011

A Sunday Hymn ~ Be Thou My Vision


Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art;
Thou my best thought, by day or by night
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, and I Thy true son
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.


Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise
Thou mine inheritance, now and always;
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart
High King of heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of heaven, my victory won,
May I reach heaven's joys, O bright heav'ns Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.


Words: ancient Irish hymn; translated by Mary E Byrne, versified by Eleanor H. Hull



"Whom have I in heaven but You? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth." (Psalm 73:25.)

"Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above and not on the the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory" (Colossians 3:1-4.)


11 comments:

  1. A beautiful hymn that we often sing in Church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures are just beautiful! I love that hymn too. It's one of my favorites and one I sing often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a lovely song that I cherish every time that I sing it
    It's words are so beautiful and very encouraging. Thank you for blessing me with the reminder of its sweet message.

    Many Blessings,
    ~Shannon~

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my very favourite hymns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a beautiful hymn, Elizabeth, and one that we often sing as well. If I had to choose one hymn to be a favorite, this one would be it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Miss Sarah! Like you, this hymn is one of my very favorites and one that I often sing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would agree, Shannon! The words always stir my heart and bring conviction and encouragement as well. I am glad that it was a blessing to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is one of mine as well, Suze!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Sarah,

    So lovely! We all need the reminder, don't we, to see things through His eyes?

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your comment, Marqueta! And yes, I think we all do need reminders like these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of my favorite hymns! :o) Thank you for sharing the pictures to go along with it! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)