Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Holy in Christ - Doing the Will of God

I am still working my way through the book Holy in Christ by Andrew Murray and have continued to be blessed by many nuggets of wisdom in its pages. The following portion I found especially thought-provoking . . . .

“And which shall we now choose? And where shall we take our place? Shall we attempt to accept Christ as a Savior without accepting His will? Shall we profess to be the Father’s children, and yet spend our life in debating how much of His will we shall perform? Shall we be content to go on from day to day with the painful consciousness that our will is not in harmony with God’s will? Or shall we not at once and for ever give up our will as sinful to His, - to that Will which He has already written on our heart?” – Andrew Murray (Holy in Christ; pg. 230)

And what is the will of God? Here are some of the things that I found . . .


--first and foremost, that we believe in His Son Jesus Christ (John 6:40)

--that we walk in obedience to Him and His Word (Ephesians 5:1-20, 6:5-8, 1 John 5:3, etc.)

--that we rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks for all things (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)

--for us to live in His will and not in our flesh (1 Peter 4:1-7)

--that we should be sanctified and holy (1 Thessalonians 4:1-8)

--for us to not be conformed to the world; for us to be renewed in our mind (Romans 12:2)

--that those who do His will live forever (1 John 2:15-17)


“. . . . he [the believer in Christ] learns to see how God’s will has reference to every part and duty of life, and it becomes his joy, in all things, to live, ‘doing the will of God from the heart, as unto the Lord and not unto men.’ ” – Andrew Murray (Holy in Christ; pg. 232)

9 comments:

  1. This my friend, is a great post.
    Some good questions.
    Getting very deep.
    I like it.
    Alot.

    It's a funny thing about "God's will". I hear folks go on and on about "what is God's will for my life?" I think that God has already given us so much of "his will"..

    The bible!!!

    It's written in black and red and stained with the blood of Christ.

    If we are not obeying ALL of God's word, how will God ever show us a "specific" will for our own lives?

    You are so young to have such a godly heart.

    Thanking the Lord for Godly parents that raised you so well.
    Your an AMAZING young woman after God's own heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, these words of Andrew Murray reach right to the heart, do they not?

    "Shall we profess to be the Father’s children, and yet spend our life in debating how much of His will we shall perform? Shall we be content to go on from day to day with the painful consciousness that our will is not in harmony with God’s will? Or shall we not at once and for ever give up our will as sinful to His, - to that Will which He has already written on our heart?”

    I *love* what you have shared from his wonderful book. Thank you so very much for this quote and the wonderful Scriptures. I have been greatly blessed by Andrew Murray's writings (although I must confess that I do not always agree with absolutely everything he writes in his books).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Andrew Murray Sarah thank-you for sharing God Bless x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comment, Amanda, and I am glad that what was shared was a blessing to you! I really like what you said here:

    I think that God has already given us so much of "his will"..

    The bible!!!

    It's written in black and red and stained with the blood of Christ.

    If we are not obeying ALL of God's word, how will God ever show us a "specific" will for our own lives?


    This is so very true!

    Thank you also so much for your encouraging words. They meant a great deal to me! I, too, am so very thankful for the parents that the Lord blessed me with! I do not know where I would be today if it were not for them.

    Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They do indeed, Miss Linda! I read that portion of the book and had to stop and read through it again . . . it really spoke to my heart. I am so glad that it was a blessing to you as well! Like you, I have been greatly blessed by much of what Andrew Murray has written, but then as you shared, I do not always agree with everything he writes either. Overall, though, his books have been some of my favorites!

    Thank you for your comment! It is so nice to be getting ones from you again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your comment, Marie, and you are welcome in regards to sharing! I really like Andrew Murray’s writings as well . . . he has much wisdom to share and what he communicates through his writings is often very thought-provoking and convicting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing such encouraging words, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're welcome, Joy. I am glad that they were a blessing to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)