Saturday, August 13, 2011

Morning Joys

What a glorious morning it was today! In fact, the past few have been so, and I have been greatly enjoying the early morning hours spent outdoors. This morning when I headed outside, the temperature was in the 60's and the sun was rising and lighting up everything with its warm sunshine. Taking care of the animals came first, and I took a few photos of some of them . . .

The pullets and two cockerels were glad to be let out of their pen . . . it's hard to believe that in just about four weeks the pullets should begin laying!

The hens were glad to be let out of their coop, too . . . since the chicks are free-ranging, the hens are staying in their fenced enclosure.

Mama rabbit and her two doe babies (who are not so little anymore) munching on their morning breakfast of hay (they get pellets, too, but the hay feeding comes first.)

And my buck enjoyed some petting . . . he is so sweet and even if he's hungry for his hay, he'll stop eating just so he can be petted

Our sweet stray cat has become part of our little farm now, and she is a wonderful addition (and she is still nameless! we've been trying to come up with a name for her, but so far, haven't found one that suits her.) I fed her up on the trailer this morning as the chicks found where we had been feeding her before and they started to chase her away so they could eat her food. They didn't bother her up here, though! (And this morning the trailer had a load of wood on it that we brought out to Ryan and Ashley's today - so that is what is in the trailer.)

After taking care of the animals, I went for a walk with my camera to enjoy the beauty of the morning . . . all was still and quiet save for the sound of my footsteps as I walked through the dew-laden grass, and there was a chorus of crickets singing and birds calling from time to t
ime as well. So peaceful! The words to the hymn How Great Thou Art came to my mind and I sang part of it as I enjoyed the beauty and the peacefulness all around.

Though, the stillness was broken every once in awhile, by this morning greeting . . .


There's just something about a rooster crowing that makes me smile . . . and he has perfected his crowing now and sounds like an experienced rooster.


Beauty in the simple things . . . I always enjoy seeing the many dew-covered spiderwebs in the mornings. Especially when the sun is lighting them up as it is here.


I could just stand here and look out across this beautiful pasture for a long time . . . happy sigh . . . I am so thankful that God placed such beauty in His creation for us to enjoy!

I sure am curious what has been going on in here! Only a few more days to wait now . . . .

Dew covered grass seed heads

When I walked down our driveway, our new cat followed me and rubbed against my legs the whole way down. On the way back up, she got distracted and ended up a ways behind me . . .


And then when she caught up again, she proceeded to flop down on the driveway and look up at me with eyes that seemed to be begging for some attention . . .


She sure is a sweetie!

Another spiderweb - spiders are amazing artists!

Little miss spooky - this is one of our pullets and she hardly ever lets us get close to her. It was a rare moment when she paused long enough for me to snap this photo!

By this time, the sun had risen higher and as there was work to be done indoors, I headed inside. The main project for today was making cucumber sandwich pickles and the first step on those was to slice them and set them to soak in salt water . . .


This was my first time making this recipe, and it was fun to do . . . and now it will be interesting to see if we like them!

Yesterday, I had given some of my parsley plants a hair cut and then had washed the cuttings from that . . .


So while the cucumbers were soaking this morning, I tied the parsley into bundles and hung them up to dry. The parsley plants had grown so large, and I was amazed with how much I was able to harvest from them! (It's kind of hard to tell in the photo, but the basket that the parsley is in is a pretty good sized one.) Once this batch is dried, I'll harvest from the rest of the plants and cut the basil as well. Then we should have a good store of these often used dried herbs to last us through until next year.

After the pickles were canned, the day proceeded to get very busy and it included some special and enjoyable things . . . and now that evening has arrived, it feels nice to be able to sit down and relax a bit. All in all, this has been a wonderful Saturday, and I am looking forward to tomorrow and a refreshing and uplifting time spent with brothers and sisters in the Lord!

9 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading about your day! Abigail and I just got in from a nice walk out through our wheat field. It is such a beautiful day today and we had fun spending time out in God's creation.

    It's always nice when you have rabbits that are tame:). We used to have one that was quite mean and would try to bite when it came time to feed it.

    Those spider webs sure are neat looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another beautiful post. Lately I have been singing Morning has Broken a lot and some of the photos bring back the words.

    How do you plan to preserve the basil? I have never been successful with this plant until this year and I have masses. I'd love to preserve some before summer hits and the plants die off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing about your peaceful day...
    I am sure that the time you spent amidst God's creation was so peaceful and delgihtful, and a wonderful way to start the day.

    In Christ,
    ~Shannon~

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was nice to hear from you again, Emily! Thank you for your comment. :) Your walk with Abigail sounds simply delightful. You must love times such as that!

    Yes, it is nice having rabbits that are tame! Much more so than rabbits like you mentioned - we've had ones like that before, too.

    I thought the spiderwebs were pretty neat also. I always enjoy seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Suze, for your sweet comment! I am glad that you enjoyed the post. Morning has Broken is a lovely song! And you are right, it fits right along with this post, too. Thank you for mentioning it. :)

    For the basil, I simply dry it and then crumble it. I've always dried it in the dehydrator before, but I am trying air drying and so far, that seems to be working. Once it is dried, I put it in jars and then use it in recipes. I hope you are able to find a way to preserve your basil that works well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome, Shannon, and thank you for your uplifting comment! Enjoying time in God's creation is indeed a wonderful way to begin a day . . . and it is one of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved reading this and seeing all the photos! I especially love the spider web photos--very artistic!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad that you enjoyed it, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed your walk! I also love the morning and many times find myself singing How Great Thou Art as well ;o) I also LOVE spiderwebs in the morning unless I accidently run into them :o/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)