Saturday, September 3, 2011

Our New Egg Layers!

It was with some surprise that we discovered that our pullets have begun laying! We weren't expecting it this soon and as the old hens are in the pen with the coop and the nest boxes (and thus, the chicks don't have any), the pullets found their own nesting place . . .


On top of the hay that is on top of the rabbit cages! (We store the hay that we feed to the rabbits there.) We know of at least two pullets (I guess I should say 'hens' now :) who are laying there, and it makes me smile when I go out there and see them all nestled down in the hay. And now comes the process of 'retiring' the old girls (i.e. preparing them for the stew pot) and then getting our new layers and the roosters moved over to the coop. It looks like that is a project on the docket for next week!

A new batch of hens, roosters, goats, animal housing and pens . . . things certainly have changed on our place the past year! I love stepping out the door and seeing the chickens out roaming around and chasing bugs . . . hearing the rooster crow down in the woods (or from wherever else he has wandered off to) . . . seeing our cat come quietly out of her 'living quarters' in our barn to come up to be petted or to follow us around while we do chores . . . hearing the goats bleating for us to go give them some attention . . . seeing the garden and the bounty that is still being produced from it . . . smelling the aroma of fresh cut grass in the orchard . . . so many simple pleasures that we are blessed with being able to enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. That is so exciting that your pullets are now laying!! Things certainly *have* changed, haven't they? Your brother is married, you have a new niece, you have a thriving beehive, goats, rabbits, chickens, a barn cat (I wonder if I am leaving anything out?).

    It is so exciting to read about all these things and I am so grateful that, despite what I am certain is a very busy schedule, you take time to share all these wonderful things with us. You live a life I wish I could live, but know I probably never will. I am always so blessed when I stop by and read about all the interesting things you are doing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is a blessing! :) Fresh eggs are so wonderful.

    I gave you an award on my blog. Here is the link;

    http://maid4him.blogspot.com/2011/09/my-first-blog-award.html

    Have a blessed day!
    Mikailah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somewhere along the way, I missed that you have a barn, Sarah. Have you ever shown that on the blog? I just don't remember it.

    I agree with Miss Linda...it is such a blessing that you find/make the time to keep your readers up-to-date on your life. I believe I could take a few time-management hints from you!:-) Say, there's an idea for a blogpost for you..."How I Manage My Time." How about it, Sarah?:-)

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing quite so nice as a very fresh egg from one's own hens!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is exciting, isn't it, Miss Linda?! Thank you for sharing in my excitement with me! It is amazing to see all of the changes that have taken place . . . such good ones, and I am so thankful to the Lord for all of His many blessings! My cup feels like it is running over right now. :)

    I know what you mean about seeing someone living a life you wish you could live . . . I have felt that before as well sometimes, but then would have to remind myself that the Lord has my family and I where we are for a reason. And now part of the 'dream' is coming true for us! And I am glad that at least you can experience it in part through blogging. :)

    Thank you for your kind comment as it brightened up my day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would agree, Mikailah, fresh eggs are wonderful . . . so much better than the ones from the grocery store!

    Thank you for the award! That was sweet of you. :) I hope to get to it soon.

    May you have a blessed day as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, it's not technically a barn, Betsy, but we call it that. It's more like an oversized shed. :) At least it's painted barn red! There have been photos of it on here before, but I think it has been awhile.

    Thank you for your kind words, and I am glad that you enjoy these glimpses into my/our lives! It's fun to be able to share.

    Oh, Betsy, if you could only see what doesn't get done around here and how many things slip through the cracks simply for the fact that I didn't plan well! I'm getting a little better at managing time, but I don't think I would be one you would want to get hints from! :) I pretty much just prioritize what is most important to get done and then go from one thing to the next . . . what doesn't get done one day is then next on the list for the following day. Nothing to extraordinary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would agree, Elizabeth! It's so nice to have one's own chickens and fresh eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how neat! How exciting this last year has been for you all! :o) I hope that this next year brings as many blessings to your family. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It has been a pretty exciting year, Nabila! And it will be getting even more so as we'll be picking up some more goats next week, Lord willing. :) And thank you so much for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)