Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Fall is in the Air

In one day, we went from having highs near 100 to highs in the low 70's, and this morning when I headed out to take care of the animals, it was 47 degrees out . . . quite the contrast! I love the change of seasons from one to the next, and these past few days, I have very much enjoyed spending time outdoors soaking in the delights of the coming fall . . . leaves falling, cool breezes blowing, even the air has the aroma of fall in it.

Sunday in the late afternoon after a wonderful time with brothers and sisters in the Lord in the morning and early afternoon, I went for a walk around our place and photographed as well . . . there was so much to see and enjoy! (Though a few of the photos below are from different times.)

The thistles are all in bloom and the butterflies and other insect life have been enjoying them

A buckeye . . . these have always been one of my favorite butterflies ever since I was a little girl when my Dad, siblings and I would go out insect collecting. Maybe because they were not often seen and were so hard to catch!

The goldenrod is just about ready to break into bloom . . . and I am welcoming it this year as it is one of the main nectar producers this time of year.

Here and there a stray black-eyed susan is found blooming

The leaves are beginning to fall and blanket the ground with an array of color

A bumblebee on a thistle flower

I love being down underneath the trees and looking up through the spreading branches to the brilliant blue sky above!

A beautiful Sunday afternoon, temperature in the 70's, cool breeze, warm sunshine = happiness :)

In the garden, our third planting of beans is growing well . . .

Bush beans

And a first for us: pole beans. Since the cucumbers were finished on one of the trellises, I just pulled out all those plants and planted the beans there.

While on some places of our property, we try to keep the weeds down (like the gardens :), our chicken pen is a different story . . .

Each spring/summer, one kind of weed comes up in there that the chickens won't eat and we let it grow instead of pulling them out as they provide shade for the chickens.
And another big plus that we found this week is that the honeybees love them! All day there are hundreds of bees in there, and it has been fun to watch them . . .

Can you see the pollen on its legs?

Once the bees are loaded down with nectar and pollen, back to the hive they go! The hive activity has dramatically increased since the above photo was taken, and I am hoping that means they are getting lots of food stored away for winter!

The honeybees are not the only insect life enjoying these flowers . . . wasps, flies, other bee species, and many butterflies as well including this striking Red Admiral

After a very pleasant walk outdoors, I enjoyed another favorite Sunday activity . . . reading. Late afternoons on Sunday provide opportunity to read, and I enjoyed a quiet and relaxing time reading more in Holy in Christ by Andrew Murray and then some in Ever Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss. The latter is one we had never heard of before until seeing an advertisement for it in the back of one of our other antique books. It then became one of Leah's birthday gifts, and she and I have both read it now and really liked it!
Monday afternoon/evening was a busy time for all of us, and at one point, I went out with my camera to see what everyone was up to . . . .

Leah looked unsuccessfully for an egg down in the woods . . . one of the pullets was acting like she had laid an egg down there, but maybe she just felt like being vocal!

Mom was pulling weeds and cleaning out old plant stalks in one of her flower gardens

And as a little precursor to the next few photos, last week after patient looking and waiting, Leah had found an ad online for a lot (as in, they were all sold together) of used goat feeders. The price was right and they would suit our needs perfectly! So Friday, Dad, Leah and I enjoyed a great evening together going and picking them up. On Monday, Leah bleached one of them, and then her and Dad moved it into the goat pen . . .

Dixie, Chevy, and Danny enjoying the fresh hay . . . the feeder is really going to help minimize waste! Plus it looks neat, too. :)

Sweet Dixie

Daddy watching the goats

The day wore on and included picking more beans and some other outdoor activities, and about the time I headed in, our cat was enjoying laying out in the dirt watching us as we worked . . .

"Ya'll come back now, ya hear?"

16 comments:

  1. What a lovely post. You live in a beautiful part of the world.

    Tonight I needed the tranquility of your words and thoughts.

    We are gearing up for summer. Already I am thinking about pulling out my bedroom fan as the nights are sticky. I loved to see the plants, animals and the leaves. Those sort of things just don't exist here.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fall as well... it is such a beautiful time of year. And those are great pictures. :) Cute goats! We have 2 Angora goats. Goats are so cute. :) Thank you for sharing!

    Blessings in Christ,
    *Mikailah*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sarah,

    Hasn't the weather been just beautiful these past few days? I forgot how nice it was to be able to go outside during the day and not be too hot! And what it was like to need a sweater. :)

    Everything looks so lovely. I wonder if your weed is "silver rod" (a member of the goldenrod family) or an aster?

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fall is such a beautiful season! I can already feel the soft breeze flowing and I am eager for the cold weather to set in.
    Your pictures are so lovely, as they are always! Miss Elizabeth Prentiss is a wonderful author, and I have been blessed by her words. I am also in the midst of reading "Ever Heavenward" and have been so encouraged by it.

    Many Blessings!

    ~Shannon~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I truly enjoyed reading all about the events in your lives and your photographs are so lovely! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad that it was a blessing to you, Suze! Your comment warmed my heart . . . it’s wonderful how even though we live so far away in different parts of the world that we can mutually encourage one another.

    While we are heading for fall and winter, it seems kind of hard to believe that elsewhere people are getting ready for summer! Hopefully your summer won’t be too terribly hot and humid . . . not like ours that we had this year. :)

    Again, I am glad that you enjoyed the post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is indeed a beautiful time of year, Mikailah! Fall is my second favorite season with spring coming in first. I am glad that you enjoyed the photos! And how neat that you have two Angora goats . . . goats are fun little animals and as you shared, so cute, too.

    You are welcome in regards to sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It certainly has, Marqueta! And I am sure you all are enjoying it just as much as we have been. It’s so delightful to spend time outdoors and actually be comfortable or even a little cool instead of so hot!

    Thank you for the ideas of what the plant could be. Your comment made me curious so I did a search online and found that it was called Late Boneset. And sadly I found that it is only a minor food source for honeybees, though it does look like they are at least getting a lot of pollen from it.

    Thank you for your kind comment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is indeed, Shannon! And it sounds like you are enjoying it as well. :) Thank you for your kind words regarding the photos!

    That is wonderful that you are also reading Ever Heavenward . . . and I am glad that it has been an encouragement to you, too. Not only is it a good story, but it does much to encourage one in their walk with the Lord. Blessings to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad that you enjoyed it, Miss Linda! Thank you for your kind words :), and you’re welcome in regards to sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun post, Sarah! I loved seeing all that's going on around your place. And the pictures of you are lovely! Love your white skirt.

    I've never heard of "Ever Heavenward," but I'm a big fan of Elizabeth Prentiss, so I'll have to look for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing all of these photos. I love the nature photos that you take! I agree with you that fall is a very beautiful time of year - it's a favorite time of mine also!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad that you enjoyed it, Joy! And thank you for your kind words. :) The skirt I am wearing in the photos was a thrift store find! It was several sizes too big and had some stains on it, but with some work with the sewing machine and some stain remover, it’s as good as new and it fits.

    I know you would enjoy the book Ever Heavenward (though I should mention that there is quite a bit of mention of Christmas in the beginning of the book.) The subtitle of the book is “A Mother’s Influence”, and I think that is one of the main aspects of the book that I was blessed by was seeing the mother’s response to her children and how she sought to train them up in the ways of the Lord and draw their young hearts to Christ. All in all, I thought it was a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Mom, for your sweet comment! And I’m glad you enjoyed the photos. :) Fall is a lovely time of year, and it’s so nice that we’re having a beautiful one so far!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love fall as well and it's touched our corner of the world. :o) How wonderful that you were able to get feeders for a good price. Do you have more and can you use them for other things? Loved all the pictures as always :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do, too, Nabila! It's my second favorite season after spring. Yes, we have quite a few more feeders besides this one, and we'll be able to use them as well. It was a great blessing finding them! Glad you enjoyed all of the photos. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)