Monday, September 19, 2011

It's the Little Things . . .

. . . that can add so much to life . . .

Such as this striking swallowtail caterpillar.

This summer I had cut and dried a lot of parsley, and the most recent batch is hanging up to dry right now. The other day I happened to notice something on it that was not parsley :) . . . looking closer I found that it was this tiny swallowtail caterpillar that must have hatched after the parsley was harvested. I pulled the leaf that it was on off and before putting the caterpillar outside by the parsley still in the garden, I enjoyed watching it for a bit and taking these two photos of it.

To give an idea how tiny the caterpillar was, I put my sewing seam gauge up next to it . . .



Just under 3/8 of an inch long! So tiny yet the beauty and detail in it was amazing. How I marvel at the wonders in God's creation! And to think that this little caterpillar will grow and grow and grow, will make for itself a chrysalis and pupate, and then will hatch a beautiful swallowtail butterfly. What amazing design by our Creator!

This is a different kind of swallotail than the above caterpillar, but it is the only swallowtail photo I had. :)


" . . . marvelous are Thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Psalm 139:14

8 comments:

  1. How beautiful... and so tiny! :) I have never seen one that small. God's creations are so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We occasionally get the Swallowtail butterfly here, and it is very beautiful. I've never found the caterpillars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how beautiful. These are the small beauties I like to search for in life. :o) God's creation never ceases to amaze me. This morning I was taking pictures of a spiders web and thought of you. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful! Sometimes it is the smallest things that bring us the most joy. The Lord's creation is so beautiful and always fill us with awe for Him!

    In Christ,
    ~Shannon~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it, though, Mikailah? I was surprised by how tiny it was, yet it still had such detail. And I would agree with you, God's creations are so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are a beautiful butterfly, Elizabeth, and we don't often see their caterpillars either. This particular variety, though, happens to feed on parsley and carrots and as both of those things were planted in the garden this year, there were a lot of caterpillars!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your comment made me smile, Nabila. :) Spider webs are beautiful, aren't they? I am sure you had fun being out and photographing and enjoying God's creation! As you shared, it is amazing, and always a delight to discover beauty in things such as this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would agree, Shannon! Sometimes these little things can be overlooked, but when we slow down and stop to enjoy them, the beauty and detail is amazing. As you shared, the Lord's creation is indeed beautiful, and it never ceases to fill my heart with awe of Him as I see it and learn more about it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)