Saturday, October 22, 2011

A Coming Frost

A hard freeze in the forecast prompted a bit of outdoor activity early this week . . . Dad and I covered over our green bean rows, Mom harvested all of the remaining tomatoes and peppers from the plants (and pulled out all of the plants as well and cleaned up that part of the garden), Dad harvested the last of the hot peppers, and then we did just general work outdoors as well.

About half of the tomatoes . . . and we enjoyed some of them for dinner last evening. Delicious!

Sweet bell peppers that Mom later chopped and put up in the freezer

I also had been running all of the herbs that I had air dried through the dehydrator for a bit to finish the drying process on them. The basil is all finished now, and I just finished the parsley Thursday. There is still a lot
of parsley out in the garden, but I think we have enough to last us for the year so I am not sure if I am going to harvest and dry any more or not. We shall see. :)

Dried and crumbled basil - ready to be stored in a jar in the spice cupboard

I also removed the seeds from the dill heads that had been harvested and dried earlier and put those away to be used for next year. The cucumber seeds that were saved were also sorted and then packed up for next year. It was fun to do a bit of seed-saving this year, and I hope to do more next gardening season!

Dill seeds

Little by little the gardening season is winding down and the garden is being put to bed until next year . . . we still are hoping to harvest more green beans and then lettuce and spinach as well (and the mangel beets will be mulched over to be used as animal feed through the winter), but other than that, the garden is finished now. One season ending and another well under way . . . the wonderful season of fall. It has really felt like fall here this past week with cloudy dreary skies, blustery winds, and temperatures in the 40's and 50's. It made evenings curled up on the couch with an afghan and my cross-stitch especially pleasant! (Though, the 70's of today and for the next couple of days are a very nice change. :)

6 comments:

  1. That is so true... :) Fresh, homegrown veggies are such a blessing. Thanks for sharing, Sarah! :) I believe that we have already gotten a frost here. Each season is beautiful in its own way.

    I pray your day is blessed!
    In Christ,
    Mikailah

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are, Mikailah. We are thankful for them! Yes, as you shared, each season is beautiful in its own way, and it is always a pleasure to enjoy each season's delights. I hope that you have a blessed day as well, and thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's such a homey picture to think of bringing in the last of the garden and saving seeds and drying herbs! We have been doing the same thing with the few things we had planted this year. It makes me look forward to next year, as I hope to be able to do more herb planting and harvesting, especially.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comment, Joy! I am sure you have been enjoying putting your garden to bed for the year, and I can relate to your looking forward to next year. I am as well for, like you, there are things that I would like to do more of and new things I'd like to try. And now we have all winter to plan and prepare for the next gardening season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How easy is it to save your seeds for the next year? I should try doing that. My garden is pretty much already finsished for this year as well. :o) I might be moving it though so I might start working on that soon. :o) Your tomatoes looked great! I still have a few peppers on my plants hoping that they will still grow some before it gets to frosted! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not terribly experience at it, Nabila, but so far, it has been pretty simple. The main thing to be careful with seed-saving is cross-pollination (such as if you or your neighbor are growing different varieties of plants that can cross-pollinate with one another as then the seeds wouldn't be true.) That hasn't been a problem for us so far, though. Another thing is to save seeds from strong, healthy, and good-producing plants. One book that may be helpful to you if you would like to try seed saving is "Seed to Seed." It has been a really great help to me, and I often refer back to it!

    Enjoy your few remaining peppers! And if you do decide to move your garden, I hope that goes well for you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)