Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Early Morning Biscuit Twists

One (of many!) things that I have appreciated about blogging is coming across delicious recipes that other bloggers share. Over the years, I have copied off so many of them! And as mentioned in this post, I recently organized and printed out some of these recipes. This is one of those (and I believe it came from the moneysavingmom.com blog), and I tried it for the first time this past Sunday morning. This recipe is definitely a keeper! They were pretty easy to put together (about 45 minutes from the time I started to the time they were coming out of the oven) which is nice since mornings can sometimes be rather full for us!


Early Morning Biscuit Twists

Biscuit dough:
--3 cups flour
(I used one of wheat and two of all purpose
--4 tsp. baking powder

--1 Tbsp. sugar

--1 tsp. salt

--3/4 tsp. cream of tarter

--3/4 cup butter or 1/2 cup butter and 1/4 cup shortening

--1 cup milk


Filling:
--2 Tbsp. butter, melted
--3 Tbsp. brown sugar

Frosting:
--1 cup powdered sugar
--1/2 tsp. vanilla
--a few tsp. of milk (enough to make mixture a drizzling consistency.)

For the biscuit dough: Stir together dry ingredients. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add milk. Stir just until moistened. Turn dough onto a lightly-floured surface and knead for 4 to 6 strokes.
Roll dough out into a rectangle (approximately 1/4-inch thick).

Brush with the melted butter, and then sprinkle with the brown sugar.
Fold rectangle in half and cut into about 1-inch strips. Twist the strips and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes. While they are baking, mix together the frosting ingredients. Drizzle over biscuit twists as soon as they come out of the oven. Enjoy!


The next time I make these, I might reduce the brown sugar a bit as they seemed to be a little too sweet. I was also thinking of trying different fillings such as jelly or jam - it seems like those would work well with this recipe!

12 comments:

  1. Mmm! this sounds perfect for a Sunday breakfast (or any breakfast, for that matter!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh!! I need to try these! :oD They look amazing!!! :o) Thanks for posting about it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!! Every time I see these over at Crystal's blog (moneysavingmom), I want to make them. I just forget about them when I'm trying to figure out what to make. Thanks for the delicious looking reminder! I think I might add cinnamon to the filling when I make them. :)

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy! I think I have everything I need & will make them today. A few apples are sitting on my counter that need to be used up - maybe I'll cut up some little pieces to put in them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds so easy, especially as there is no yeast. I'll try them Sarah, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your comment, Jacinda! And they are. :) We'll certainly be enjoying them again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope that you enjoy them, Nabila! And you're welcome for sharing the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean, Miss Sarah! I found this recipe a long time ago and wanted to try it, but then forgot all about it! Adding cinnamon was an idea that I had had as well. They would taste just about like cinnamon rolls with that, I think. Hope that you enjoy them when you do make them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to my blog, Sarah, and thank you for your comment! I hope that you all enjoyed them. :) And what a great idea to add little pieces of apple. That sounds like that would be good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope that you enjoy them, Elizabeth, and you're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum--I wish I had one of these to eat right now...although I don't think my waistline would thank me for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are delectably good, Joy! :) I'm going to need to make them again . . . and soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)