Monday, November 7, 2011

English Muffin Loaf

The other day Mom made this recipe for the first time, and it was so delicious! And it didn't last long. :) Then last evening as we were all in the living room reading or doing handwork, I started thinking that this bread would be really good for today's breakfast . . . so I made some! The recipe is really simple, and it only took about 10-15 minutes to put together (and it would have gone faster if I would have thought to start warming the milk and water first thing.)

While the original intention of the bread was for this morning, one loaf was a lot smaller by the end of the evening . . . . it's so good warm right out of the oven!


English Muffin Loaf

--4 3/4 cups all-purpose flour divided
--2 packages yeast (4 1/2 tsp.)
--1 Tbsp. sugar
--2 tsp. salt
--1/4 tsp. baking soda
--2 cups milk
--1/2 cup water
--cornmeal

Combine three cups of flour and the yeast, sugar, salt, and baking soda in a mixing bowl. Heat milk and water to 120-130 degrees and then add to the flour mixture. Mix until smooth. Add remaining 1 3/4 cups of flour and mix completely.

Grease two loaf pans and dust with cornmeal. Split dough between the two pans and dust the tops of the loaves with cornmeal. Let rise for 45-60 minutes and then bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Can be served warm. (And this bread is really good toasted and buttered, too. That is our favorite way to eat it . . . and it's also good with spreads like apple butter.)

20 comments:

  1. I wonder if it has a similar texture to an Englsih muffin? It sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe. We might try it today. God Bless. "Isabella"

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious. I'll have to copy the recipe and try it myself. Thanks for sharing. God Bless. Dorinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this recipe. I have been looking for an easy bread recipe. I'll try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that it is, Elizabeth! Granted, I've only had the American version of English muffins :), but this bread tastes just the same as those. And yes, it is very good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome, Isabella! If you did try it yesterday, I hope you all enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is, Dorinda! If you do happen to try the recipe sometime, I hope it works well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're welcome, Lynda! I was pleasantly surprised with how simple this recipe was, and that makes it easier to mix up for breakfast in the mornings. I hope that you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sarah - this morning I made the bread...and it was delicious. I can understand why it doesn't last very long in your house :o)
    If you want to read my post about it, it is on my blog.

    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I'm going to have to try this!! I'm always looking for a good bread recipe! ;o) Thanks! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad that you liked it, Lynda! I visited your blog, and it looks great. :) And what a great idea to substitute wheat and other flours as well. I might have to try adding some wheat flour next time!

    I hope that you have a blessed day as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope that you enjoy it, Nabila! And you're welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks delicious, and thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're welcome, Joy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Sarah,
    That bread looks so good I'm going to have to show that to my mother.Thank you for sharing.
    Love,
    Haviland~ ( hugs to you family and hellos:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sarah, we tried this last night, and it was incredibly good! We had it fresh from the oven, with chicken-corn chowder soup. Then this morning, we tried toasting it and spreading it with butter. It's fabulous! I know it will be a favorite around here--thanks for sharing!

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for your sweet comment, Haviland! If you all do try this recipe, I hope you enjoy it. :) Hugs and hellos back to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am glad that you all liked it so much, Betsy! You're making me want to make it again. :) You're welcome in regards to sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Made this two weeks ago - one loaf for me, one for the office. They loved it! Perfect for toast and so easy!

    The other loaf was eaten by my normally well-behaved dog sometime in the middle of the night. At least I got two slices off of it, warm. LOL.

    Making more today. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you, Cathie, for taking the time to comment! I'm glad that you (and those at your office) liked the bread! It's one of our favorites. And it sounds like your dog liked it, too!

    You're making me hungry thinking about the bread :) . . . I'm sure what you made today was enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)