Friday, November 18, 2011

Gathered Gems

As I have continued reading the book Kept for the Master's Use, I have been so blessed by it . . . so encouraged and convicted in my walk with Christ. And as I had mentioned in this post, I have been copying down those portions that especially spoke to my heart, and I thought I would share a few more here (and there will likely be more shared in future posts as well.)

I hope that they will be a blessing and encouragement to you as they have been to me!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"When we are aiming at generalities we do not hit the practicalities. We forget that faithfulness to principle is only proved by faithfulness in detail." (pg. 32-33)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We do not want only to be kept from displeasing Him, but to be kept always pleasing Him. Every 'kept from', should have its corresponding and still more blessed 'kept for'. We do not want our moments to be simply kept from Satan's use, but kept for His use; we want them to be not only kept from sin, but kept for His praise." (pg. 36; emphasis in the original.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh, how much we have missed by not placing them [our moments] at His disposal! What might He not have done with the moments freighted with self or loaded with emptiness, which we have carelessly let drift by! Oh, what might have been if they had all been kept for Jesus! How He might have filled them with His light and life, enriching our own lives that have been impoverished by the waste, and using them in far-spreading blessing and power!" (pg. 38)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Does this mean that we are always to be doing some definitely 'religious' work, as it is called? No, but that all that we do is to be always definitely done for Him. There is a great difference. If the hands are indeed moving 'at the impulse of His love,' the simplest little duties and acts are transfigured into holy service to the Lord." (pg. 50; emphasis in original.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Let us ask Him so to shed abroad His love in our hearts by the Holy Ghost
which is given unto us, that it may be the perpetual and only impulse of
every action of our daily life." (pg. 60)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it." (Luke 9:23-24)

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting these. It was a blessing to read them again. I especially like that next to the bottom quote. Oh that my hands always did move at the impulse of His love!

    Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,
    I'm going to try to find a copy of this book. It is a gem, as you said.
    "...to be kept from displeasing Him, ...to be kept always pleasing Him." I find that so many times we put the focus on the "don't do's" and not where they should be on the "do's" ~ what we can and should/could be doing for Him. Walking daily with Him. It's so easy to get caught up in what's going on around us and forget what's really important.
    Thank you for posting these,
    Blessings and enjoy your weekend,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Sarah, for sharing more of what you found to be a blessing. Those portions are very helpful, and challenging. They remind us how Jesus Himself is to be our Object.

    Frances Havergal's biography describes the origin of Kept for the Master's Use:
    'Perhaps you will be interested to know the origin of the consecration hymn, "Take my life." I went for a little visit of five days. There were ten persons in the house, some unconverted and long prayed for, some converted but not rejoicing Christians. He gave me the prayer, "Lord give me all in this house!" And He just did! Before I left the house every one had got a blessing. The last night of my visit I was too happy to sleep, and passed most of the night in praise and renewal of my own consecration, and these little couplets formed themselves and chimed in my heart one after another, till they finished with, "Ever, ONLY, ALL for Thee!"'

    You will have noticed the words 'all' and 'always' in your excerpts. Was thinking earlier today of the verse "Let your word be always with grace" (Colossians 4:6). Not sometimes or often, but always!

    Thank you again,

    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, I should have written 'Frances Havergal's biography describes the origin of the hymn on which Kept for the Master's Use is based' :)

    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful quotes! I really enjoyed them. I might have to write a few of these down! :o) I found a great quote the other day by Susanna Wesley actually it was one of her recorded prayers and it was so beautiful -

    ‎"Help me, Lord, to remember that religion is not to be confined to the church or closet, nor exercised only in prayer and meditation, but that everywhere I am in Thy presence. So may my every word and action have a moral content."

    I have found a few others that were just as beautiful. :o) I might need to do a post on it! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You’re welcome, Miss Sarah! And I am glad that they were a blessing to you. The second to last quote was one of my favorites as well . . . it is a wonderful reminder that every little act – washing the dishes, cleaning the bathrooms, scrubbing the floors, giving a listening ear, etc. – can all be a loving and “holy service to the Lord.” And as you shared, may our hands indeed only and always move at the impulse of His love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you would be blessed by this book, Mrs. Anne! I had gotten my copy off of ebay (I just checked ebay again, though, and there were only a few available now that were in a lower price range. There are, however, several companies that carry reprints of it, one of which is keepersofthefaith.com.) I hope that you are able to find one!

    Thank you for sharing what you did! It is so true that, while it is important for us to avoid those things which as believers in Christ we shouldn’t do, how much more important to then do the things that we should. As you shared, walking daily with Him. And the thought that is being impressed ever more on my heart, walking with Him moment by moment. Again, I am glad that these were a blessing to you and you’re welcome in regards to sharing!

    May you have a blessed rest of the weekend as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You’re welcome, Neil! Yes, these portions do remind one that Jesus is to be the object of our focus . . . having our mind and heart fixed upon His interests and not our own. Or even better, having His interests become our own.

    Thank you for sharing the excerpt from Frances Havergal’s biography about the background of the hymn Take My Life and Let It Be. It is always interesting to hear the history behind the hymns and what prompted the author to pen the words!

    I did indeed notice the ‘all’ and ‘always’ in these quotes . . . which is what perhaps convicted my heart the most. The verse from Colossians that you shared (which is also one I recently memorized :) about our speech always being with grace is a common theme throughout Scripture. So many of Christ’s commands (and I would venture to say all) were along those same lines . . . as you shared “Not sometimes or often, but always!” So convicting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad that they were a blessing to you, Nabila! And thank you for sharing this one from Susanna Wesley. It fits in well with what Frances Havergal was sharing . . . our faith is not to be reserved for certain parts and/or times of our lives, but it is to be who we are. Every aspect of our lives should be a reflection of our Savior! A reflection of what our heart’s desire and goal is . . . complete consecration and holiness before the Lord. And while we will not attain it fully here on earth, as we continue to press on to maturity here in this life we can look forward to the day “when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality . . . .

    I hope that you do share on your blog more of the quotes you found! I, for one, would appreciate seeing them.

    Thank you again, Nabila!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)