Sunday, November 6, 2011

A Sunday Hymn ~ Standing on the Promises

The other evening, Leah and I were singing hymns together while doing the dishes, and this song was one of them. It is one of my favorites! And I thought I would share it here as one of the "A Sunday Hymn" posts . . . I hope that the words will be a blessing to you . . . .


Standing on the Promises

Standing on the promises of Christ my King,
Through eternal ages let His praises ring,
Glory in the highest, I will shout and sing,
Standing on the promises of God.

Standing, standing,

Standing on the promises of God my Savior;

Standing, standing,

I’m standing on the promises of God.


Standing on the promises that cannot fail,
When the howling storms of doubt and fear assail,
By the living Word of God I shall prevail,
Standing on the promises of God.


Standing, standing,

Standing on the promises of God my Savior
;
Standing, standing,

I’m standing on the promises of God.


Standing on the promises of Christ the Lord,
Bound to Him eternally by love’s strong cord,
Overcoming daily with the Spirit’s sword,
Standing on the promises of God.


Standing, standing,

Standing on the promises of God my Savior;

Standing, standing,

I’m standing on the promises of God.


Standing on the promises I cannot fall,
Listening every moment to the Spirit’s call

Resting in my Savior as my all in all,

Standing on the promises of God.


Standing, standing,

Standing on the promises of God my Savior;

Standing, standing,

I’m standing on the promises of God.


Words and music by: R. Kel­so Car­ter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.” (Hebrews 10:23)

"Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith, just as you were instructed, and overflowing with gratitude" (Colossians 2:6-7.)

12 comments:

  1. A beautiful hymn! I found myself singing along with the words while reading and remember younger days as a child in Egypt singing it in church. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Resting in my Saviour as my all in all'....what wonderful words, Sarah.
    It's not a hymn with which I am familiar, but the words are lovley. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I very much enjoy your blog. So inspirational and full of love for our Savior

    I have linked your blog to mine so that I can find it easily!
    http://newcreationcottage.blogspot.com

    Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading the words to this song was such an encouragement to me, Sarah! This week I have been standing on the promises of Psalm 139:1-18, Nahum 1:7, and Psalm 23:4. What a great reminder that we can stand on His promises daily!

    ~Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is, Nabila. And I am glad it was a blessing to you and that it brought back good memories for you! You used to live in Egypt? I didn't know that! It would be interesting to hear some of your memories from your time there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are indeed, Elizabeth. And I am glad that this hymn was a blessing to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to my blog, Melanie, and thank you for your encouraging comment! I look forward to visiting your blog, too - thank you for sharing the address. :)

    I hope that you have a blessed day as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad that it was an encouragement to you, Bianca. The verses that you shared are beautiful ones . . . and full of such encouragement and hope. Yes, it is a wonderful reminder that we can always stand firm upon His promises and can trust fully in Him! Praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my most favorite hymns. My sister and I used to sing it as a "special" before the congregation. Wow! I was so much braver then...;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another favorite hymn and beautiful photos.
    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your comment, Monica, and for sharing that memory! It's enjoyable singing with one's sister, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)