Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Doll Making

In spare hours here and there the past few weeks (mainly the 'empty' spots between morning and afternoon/evening chores and making dinner), the sewing room has been a buzz with activity! Doll making has been the theme, and most of my leisure evening projects (like hand quilting) had been set aside so that I could do things such as embroider faces, sew snaps on the doll dresses, stuff the doll bodies and sew them closed, etc. And here are a few of the ones created recently . . .

A custom order Betsy doll that went to Australia

Remember the post with photos of doll clothing that I was making? Well, now this dress has a doll to wear it! She's in the shop right now.

This is probably my favorite of all the doll dresses I have made so far. Leah helped pick out the fabrics, and I love the combination!

It has been fun making all of these, and also to start selling internationally. I hadn't really thought about that taking place, but in the past several weeks, quite a few dolls were mailed to Australia and one to Israel as well. It hasn't even been a year yet since I first introduced the Annie and Betsy dolls, and I have been pleased with how it has gone so far and how much I enjoy it. I think I may have found my 'niche'. :)


Has anyone else been creating things in the sewing room lately? Or have any
other projects you are working on?

18 comments:

  1. They're all lovely, Sarah!
    I think I like the 3rd one with the blue apron best. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those dolls are SO sweet. It looks like you've been having fun making them.

    Congratulations on your International sales! That's wonderful! I hope your sales continue.

    Merry CHRISTmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah,
    I love the dolls. So cute. My dd
    (15) still has some. I am suppose to be working on an Elmo quilt. I NEED to finish it. God Bless.
    "Isabella"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sarah,

    Those dolls are so cute! You are very talented. What a job that must be. I would love to know how to do that!! ;) So adorable. I am glad your 'business' is going well for you. ;)

    Thanks for sharing what you have been doing!

    In Christ,
    Mikailah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dolls are lovely Sarah!

    I'm working on an order I have for a crocheted lap blanket. Nearly finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to be 5 years old again and have one of your dolls, Sarah! They so remind me of the traditional dolls of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Mrs. Anne! That one was my favorite as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Miss Sarah! It is a lot of fun making them – especially all of the little outfits. :) And thank you for the encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Isabella! That’s nice that your daughter still has some of her dolls. I have a few from when I was little as well, and they are treasured keepsakes now. Hope you enjoy working on your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Mikailah, for your kind words! If you lived closer, wouldn’t it be fun to get together and do sewing? I would be happy to share some about doll making with you!

    Thank you again, and you’re welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Lynda!

    A crocheted lap blanket sounds lovely. I hope it goes well for you as you finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know the feeling, Elizabeth! :) There’s just something special about the traditional dolls, isn’t there? I have a few similar to these ones from my childhood (which was part of the inspiration for these), and they were my favorite dolls when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are beautiful, Sarah! Thank you for sharing the photos...I always enjoy seeing them! I'd agree with you that the the blue dress and apron is probably my favorite. You and Leah did a lovely job with that fabric combination! =)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  14. The dolls are lovely, Sarah! I haven't done any sewing for ages (the last time I can recall was in April), but I am hoping to perhaps get a little bit done over these holidays. It should be good to get out my sewing machine again and dust off my sewing skills!

    In Christ,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, Amy! And I am glad that you enjoyed seeing them. :)

    It was so nice to see a comment from you again . . . thank you for it, and I hope that you have a blessed rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Anna! That would be fun for you to be able to do a little sewing over these next few weeks . . . especially after taking a break since April. Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. All your dolls look wonderful! I might have to have you make one for my little girl ;o) Might have to use a diff color for skin and hair though ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, Nabila! I would be more than happy to make a doll for your daughter if you would like sometime. :) And using different color for hair and skin is definitely doable!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)