Sunday, December 4, 2011

A Sunday Hymn ~ Come Thou Fount

This past Sunday after our regular time together with brothers and sisters in the Lord, we had an
afternoon full of music as everyone had brought instruments, songs to share, favorite hymns, etc.
It was a wonderful and uplifting time! And this is one of the hymns that we played and
sang together . . . it is a favorite of all of ours . . .



Come Thou Fount

Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,

Call for songs of loudest praise.

Teach me some melodious sonnet,

Sung by flaming tongues above.

Praise the mount! I’m fixed upon it,

Mount of Thy redeeming love.



Here I raise my Ebenezer;

Hither by Thy help I'm come;

And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,

Safely to arrive at home.

Jesus sought me when a stranger,

Wand'ring from the fold of God;

He to rescue me from danger,

Interposed His precious blood.


O to grace how great a debtor

Daily I’m constrained to be!

Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,

Bind my wandering heart to Thee.

Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,

Prone to leave the God I love;

Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,

Seal it for Thy courts above.



Words by Robert Robinson


~~~~~~~~~~~~~


"
How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God!
And the children of men take refuge in the shadow of Your wings.
They drink their fill of the abundance of Your house;
and You give them to drink of the river of Your delights.
For with You is the fountain of life;
In Your light we see light.
"
Psalm 36:7-9

"Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy, to the only God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.
" Jude 24-25

8 comments:

  1. I love this hymn, Sarah, especially the third verse! I love the Chris Rice version of this song and it is in one of my piano books.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ~Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite hymns! I always feel so close to the Lord when singing these words. Thank you for sharing, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this hymn, Sarah, and the Scripture verses. How encouraging it is that we can look to God to keep us!

    Wouldn't He desire to keep His people for Himself (see John 17:11,12), and from the world and what would harm and hinder? Am reminded of an excerpt from a letter of Frances Havergal in her biography:
    '"As for thee, the Lord thy God has not suffered thee to do so." [Deuteronomy 18:14] We give thanks often with a tearful, doubtful voice, for our spiritual mercies positive; but what an almost infinite field there is for mercies negative! We cannot even imagine all that God has suffered us not to do, not to be.'

    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do as well, Bianca! This has been a favorite of mine for as long as I can remember, and like you, the third verse especially. I am sure you enjoy playing it on the piano . . . the melody is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comment, Sarah, and you’re welcome! I know what you mean about feeling so close to the Lord when singing these words . . . they really draw one close to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You’re welcome, Neil! Yes, it is very encouraging to know that God can (and will) keep us as we entrust ourselves to Him.

    And how true it is that the Lord desires to keep us for Himself and then from the world. The portion from Frances Havergal’s biography presents some thought-provoking points. If only we knew how many times the Lord says ‘no’ to our requests or how many things that He keeps us from, and all for our good. It makes one all the more grateful that we can trust Him fully and completely in everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my all time favorite hymns. :o) I could hear it in my mind while I read the words :o) Thank you for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is one of mine as well, Nabila . . . the words and melody are beautiful. And you're welcome for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)