Saturday, February 25, 2012

Starting Seeds

This year, warm February days with the taste of the coming spring in them have provided beautiful weather for being outdoors working on garden preparations (such as tilling) . . . but there are still many weeks before actual planting begins out there. Little seedlings are beginning to grow indoors, though, in the expectation of being planted out in the garden eventually.

I started our first ones a week or two ago . . .

Almost ready for the seeds

Though, all that has been planted so far is celery, lettuce, spinach and broccoli. Planting celery was a first for me, and since the seeds have a long germination time, it is recommended to soak the seeds overnight which I did . . .


Then it came time for planting!


Only, how do you get wet tiny seeds from the bowl onto the soil in each of the small cells? Unlike dry seeds, they stick to everything! A toothpick to the rescue . . .


I dipped it into the water catching some celery seeds on it, and then simply tapped the toothpick on the side of the seed tray and the seeds fell right where they were supposed to.

So far, the broccoli, most of the lettuce, and some of the spinach are up, but I'm still waiting on the celery to make its appearance.
I still need to get the tomatoes and peppers started, too, and I hope to do that soon. (Already I am a little behind schedule with those!) Anyone else starting things indoors this year? If so, how is that going for you?

6 comments:

  1. So far we have just started our cabbage and broccoli. Our first set we are putting in the ground today and covering with milk carton "greenhouses." I will be starting our eggplants and tomaotes next week and am even thinking of putting a small row of lettuce in to see how it does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are planning on starting seeds as well. We haven't gotten anything started yet :o/ I am hoping in the next two weeks that we can get all that started. I have had a few physical set-backs so everything is moving slower then normal. :o) Can't wait to get ours started! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, seeds are being planted indoors around here as well. So far, I've gotten the basil and pepper seeds planted. They are just begining to sprout. I've noticed that the garlic is begining to sprout at the dirt line. This is very exciting as it is another reminder that Spring is just around the corner. Seeds for angel trumpet trees (brugmansia and datura) are also planted as they have a long germination period. I really need to get started on some of the other seeds, but I've been battling a nasty sinus infection for the last few days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you have a good start on your garden, Beth! That is a good idea to cover the plants with milk carton “greenhouses”. I have never tried that before, but I just might this year as it sounds like it would work well. I hope that your plants all do very well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is exciting, Nabila! I hope that it goes very well for you.

    I am sorry to hear that you have had a few physical set-backs! I will be praying for you and hope that you will be able to be back to your normal, energetic self soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a lot of different things planted already, Renee! And it must be exciting to see them beginning to sprout and grow, and your garlic as well. Yes, spring is just around the corner! And I for one, am really looking forward to it. :)

    I am sorry to hear that you have had a sinus infection! I will be praying for you that you have a quick recovery. Hope you start feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)