Monday, February 20, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Pie

After an . . . interesting . . . and rather full past two weeks away from blogging, I am looking forward to posting again! And I have a lot of different posts in mind, plus a great many photos that were taken the past few weeks to share. For starters, though, I thought I would share this recipe for a strawberry rhubarb pie that I made recently with some of the strawberries and rhubarb that had been put up in the freezer this past summer.

This was a new recipe, and I was pleased with how it turned out! And it is a keeper, too, as everyone really enjoyed it.


Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Pie

~Pastry for single-crust pie (recipe to follow*)
~1 egg
~1 cup sugar
~2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
~1 tsp. vanilla extract
~3/4 pound fresh rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 3 cups) [I used frozen in about 1/4 inch pieces]
~
1 pint fresh strawberries, halved [again, I used frozen]

TOPPING: [these amounts made too much topping so next time I am going to reduce them]
~3/4 cup all-purpose flour
~1/2 cup packed brown sugar
~1/2 cup quick-cooking or rolled oats
~1/2 cup cold butter or margarine

*PIE CRUST
~1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour [I used freshly ground whole wheat instead]
~
1/2 tsp. salt
~1/3 cup shortening
~4 to 5 Tbsp. cold water

Making the Crust

In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate; flute edges. Set aside.

Making the Pie

In a mixing bowl, beat egg. Add sugar, flour and vanilla; mix well. Gently fold in rhubarb and strawberries. Pour into crust. For topping, combine flour, brown sugar and oats in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees; bake 35 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. [my pie took longer to bake since the rhubarb and strawberries were frozen.] Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours; refrigerate until ready to serve. (Store leftovers in refrigerator as well.) Enjoy as is or top with vanilla ice cream!

24 comments:

  1. How was your vacation away from the blogging and computer? I missed you and glad to see that you're back! I can't wait to see the posts that you have plans to write about in the near future.

    The strawberry & rhubarb pie looks delicious. Maybe I will try making that sometime in the future using my new kitchen that I will have when I move in 10 days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds delicious, Sarah! :) Thank you for sharing that recipe. :)

    And it is nice to have you back! :) I missed your posts.

    Many blessings,
    -Mikailah

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to "see" you back, Sarah! I look forward to seeing the photos and posts you're planning, and perhaps hearing more about your "interesting" past two weeks...or as much as you care to share.

    The pie looks scrumptious, as do all the ones you feature on this blog. I'd call them ALL keepers!:-)

    Isn't it nice to have a taste of strawberry-and-rhubarb summer in the middle of winter?!

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to have you back! This pie sounds yummy.

    Looking forward to hearing about your interesting and busy two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm, this looks yummy, Sarah! Thanks for sharing the recipe, and welcome back to blogger =D, looking forward to reading more of your posts.

    God bless,
    ~Joy @ joy-live4jesus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to see you back and thank you for visiting!
    Thanks for the recipe ~ I'll have to give this one a try. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lidia Maxine HSAFebruary 20, 2012

    That sounds so good and looks so good I think I could eat some right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Intrigued to hear about your interesting two weeks. Your pie recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your sweet note, Leah! My break away from blogging and the computer turned out a little different than I had planned (there will be more about that in the next blog post), but it was a needed, and refreshing, break. I hope you enjoy the coming posts!

    How exciting for you that you are going to be moving! I hope that goes very well for you . . . and enjoy your new kitchen and baking yummy treats like pies in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Joy! And you're welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a delicious recipe, Mikailah! And you’re welcome for sharing.

    And thank you for your kind words! I am glad to be back, and I hope that you enjoy the upcoming posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome back! I hope your two weeks 'away' went well. I am looking forward to seeing your posts resuming.

    I may have to try and grow some rhubarb. I have actually only tried it once. There is a place Stephen stops at when he has a load to Colorado that he likes getting strawberry rhubarb pie at. He got me a piece once. It was quite tasty.

    Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Betsy! And I hope that you enjoy the upcoming posts. :) The next one is about our interesting past two weeks, and unfortunately, it wasn’t a “good” interesting. But as with all things, the Lord has worked good from it all.

    Aww, thank you for your kind words! Yes, it is very nice to have the “taste of strawberry-and-rhubarb summer in the middle of winter.” And before long, we’ll be enjoying them fresh from the garden again, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, Rachel! And yes, it was. :) A post about our past two weeks is coming soon . . . as I shared in reply to Betsy’s comment, while our busy and interesting two weeks weren’t a “good” interesting, the Lord has brought good from it all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Joy, for your kind comment! I am glad to be back. :) I hope that you enjoy the upcoming posts, and you’re welcome for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, Mrs. Anne! And you’re welcome for the recipe. :) I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for your kind comment, Lidia! It was so nice (and a welcome surprise) to hear from you here. :) Thank you!

    Well, if you lived closer I would have been happy to share some of this pie with you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. There will be a post soon about our two weeks, AmandaJane. And thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you, Becky, for your kind comment! And I hope you enjoy the upcoming posts. :)

    Our rhubarb kind of limped along for a few years, but now the plants seem to be doing really well. If you do try growing it again, I hope it does very well for you! Aww, how sweet of Stephen to bring back a piece of strawberry rhubarb pie for you. This was my first time ever having it, and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was.

    You’re welcome for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks yummy! :o) I might have to try it. I am wanting to grow some rhubarb. I don't think I really have had it much since I was a child and I really liked it then. :o) Thanks for the recipe! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you, Nabila! If you do try this recipe, I hope it turns out well for you. I had never had rhubarb before until just this past summer . . . and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it can be! (Especially in combination with strawberries. :)

    You're welcome for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)