Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Kitchen Tip - Bacon Prep Made Easier

For years when recipes would call for bacon to be cut into small pieces and then fried, out would come the cutting board and a knife and after awhile of not the easiest cutting (which always resulted in a mess of sticky fat on the cutting board), the bacon would be in the frying pan. But thanks to my friend, Joy, we now have a much easier method using . . .


Scissors! In just a few quick minutes, a package of bacon is all cut up and in the pan, and the only things in need of washing are a pair of hands and the scissors. The latter have become a regularly used 'utensil' in our kitchen now, and I don't know why we didn't think of using them for things like this before! (Thank you again, Joy, for sharing this idea with me!)

Do any of you have simple kitchen tips or hints like this to share? If so, I would love to hear!


I am working on a post about some of what has been going on around here lately, but ran out of time this morning to finish it up so you are getting this post instead. :) So stay tuned for an update of our life on the farm the past few weeks!

8 comments:

  1. I am so glad you shared this, Sarah! Kitchen scissors are a great tool to use during food prep. I have several pairs, all color coded (red for meat, green for veggies and cooked food, and black for packaging), which I use often. They make some tasks much more efficient, such as cutting chicken breasts from stirfry or fresh greens for a salad. I would also suggest trying to cut a pizza with the kitchen shears instead of the traditional roller blade. We have found this method to be very easy, and the slices are perfectly cut each time.
    I would love to know, what are some of your favorite items in the kitchen? Or even favorite ingredient?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another easy way to cut up bacon is to slice while mostly frozen. We have a recipe that calls for a whole pack of bacon sliced in small pieces. Just use a large knife and cut across the partly frozen slices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm so glad that was helpful to you, Sarah! I have 3 pair of kitchen shears, and they receive nearly constant use!

    Renee, we must have similar kitchen habits, with regards to the kitchen shears! I also use ours to cut pizza, chicken breasts for stir fry, fresh greens, and so much more! Probably my favorite kitchen item. My mom gave me my first pair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter always uses scissors to chop up cooked Spinach!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That’s a great idea, Renee, to have several pairs of kitchen scissors and then to have them color coded as well. I think we’ll have to implement that idea! Thank you for sharing some of the other things you use scissors for . . . they would make those tasks much easier. My sister-in-law, Ashley, cuts pizza with scissors as well! So we learned about that trick from her. :)

    Hmm . . . some of my favorite items in the kitchen. I am really not sure! Though a favorite ingredient would probably be honey . . . and herbs. I really enjoy cooking with about everything, though, so it is hard to pick a favorite ingredient!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would work as well, Emily! I sometimes cut up other meats when they are frozen, but I hadn’t thought of doing that with bacon. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your comment, Joy! Your tip has been very helpful. :) And I can see why scissors might be your favorite kitchen item . . . the more I use them, the more I appreciate them and wouldn’t want to have a kitchen without them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That’s a good idea as well, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)