Thursday, March 1, 2012

Treasures from Psalms

Last night the Psalm that I read before bed was such an encouragement! (And it is one of my long time favorites. :) I read through it once and then went back and read certain portions over again slowly . . . meditating on the glorious and beautiful truths presented in them. The first two verses filled me with awe as I read and thought about them . . . .

"I love the LORD, because He hears my voice and my supplications.
Because He has inclined His ear to me,
therefore I shall call upon Him as long as I live."

To think, to know, that the Lord God has inclined His ear to hear my voice! To always hear when I call to Him and to hear my supplications. He is indeed a gracious, loving and compassionate God.

And then the next series of verses . . . they fill my heart with joy to look back and remember what the Lord has done in my life . . . and what He continues to do. He has indeed dealt bountifully with me!


"Gracious is the LORD and righteous;
Yes, our God is compassionate.
The LORD preserves the simple;
I was brought low, and He saved me.
Return to your rest, O my soul,
For the LORD has dealt bountifully with you.
For You have rescued my soul from death,
My eyes from tears,
My feet from stumbling.
I shall walk before the LORD
in the land of the living . . .

"What shall I render to the LORD
for all His benefits toward me?
I shall lift up the cup of salvation
and call upon the name of the LORD . . .

To You I shall offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving,
And call upon the name of the LORD."

Psalm 116:1-2, 5-9, 12-13, 17


I hope these portions from Psalms were a blessing and encouragement to you as they have been to me!


*As a little side note, the flowers in the photo are our first ones of the spring! What a delight it was to see their cheery and colorful blooms.

16 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post and Psalm! :) Thank you for sharing. What an encouragement for me to read this in the morning! Your flowers are beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a reminder of His perfect faithfulness. I think, too, when we do encounter trials or experience low times - it is during those times we (I) often come to appreciate the Lord's mercy, comfort, and faithfulness even more.

    The crocuses are beautiful! Alexis (my almost four year old cousin) and I planted some in our raised beds yesterday; cold weather things such as lettuce, spinach, kale, and swiss chard. Springtime is so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome prayer of thanksgiving this psalm is, Sarah! I had a rough day today and am grateful for these promises of our loving God and to remember all He had done and continues to do. Thank you also for this little hopeful sign of spring. We are still smothered in much snow here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The psalms give so much reassurance and joy to me, Sarah, and that particular one has such beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that this was an encouragement to you, Nabila! It is a beautiful Psalm . . . one that always ministers to my heart.

    You’re welcome for sharing and thank you for your comment on the flowers! There are a bunch of them blooming now, and they make it seem like spring is even closer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is, Rachel. Very much so! And I would agree, those times of trial do seem to make one appreciate the Lord’s mercy, comfort and faithfulness even more. Looking back on my own life, I see that the times of trial are times when I grew so much closer to the Lord. They always seem to be seasons of refinement . . . not always easy to walk through at the time, but worked for good in the end.

    Aww, how special for you and Alexis to plant some flowers in your raised bed and also all of those other things as well! I am sure you both had an enjoyable time. And that is wonderful that Alexis is able to work alongside of you and learn from you with things like this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your comment was touching to read, Helena . . . it is wonderful how the Lord ministers to our hearts when we need it! And I am so glad that this Psalm was able to do that for you.

    Well, while your ground is covered in snow and it may not feel like it, spring is on its way for you! It will just be longer in coming. :) Enjoy your snow while it lasts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They do for me likewise, Elizabeth! Yes, they are beautiful and have so much in them to encourage and uplift one in the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing this - it was very encouraging to me!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Psalm and the flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing Psalm 116 with us! I liked the first two verses and after I read it for the first time, a memory came to my mind to remind me that God does hear us. Last year, couple of times I went to the park to see God's beautiful nature like the waterfalls and sang songs. Few different times, while I was singing, a bird came close to me and sat still for a long time. I was surprised at how long the birds stayed but that's how I know that through the birds, God is showing me that He is listening and enjoys my singing very much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found you today, my heart is heavy for the loss of a family member who took her own life...she was only 19..and didn't really know what life should be or could be with God in it.. its very painful to know she can not enter God kingdom...but your post helped me with the pain in my heart...with love Janice @spoonwither.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Mom, for your comment! I am glad it could be an encouragement. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for your comment, Joy, and I would agree!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You’re welcome, Leah! I am glad that it could be a blessing to you . . . and thank you for sharing that memory. The little bird must have liked your singing. :)

    It’s wonderful how the Lord can use His creation to minister to our hearts and to point our hearts to Him. All of His creation does indeed praise His name!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome to my blog, Janice, and thank you for sharing what you did. I am so sorry to hear about your 19 year old family member . . . that is so very sad. And what a very difficult time this must be for you and your other family members.

    I am glad that what was shared here could be a blessing to you. Praying that the Lord would be your strength and peace and that you will feel His loving arms surrounding you and upholding you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)