Monday, March 19, 2012

Two New Favorites

It's so enjoyable trying new recipes, and especially when they are a success! Such as these two that Leah and I made for dinner awhile back and which have now become family favorites . . .


Shepherd's Pie

--2-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cooked
--1 to 1-1/2 cups (8 to 12 ounces) sour cream (we used about 1 cup)
--Salt and pepper to taste
--2 pounds ground beef
--1/2 cup chopped onion
--1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
--1 teaspoon garlic salt
--1 can (15 1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
--1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
--1/2 cup milk
--2 tablespoons butter, melted
--Chopped fresh parsley, optional (we used dried)

In a large bowl, mash potatoes with sour cream. Add salt and pepper; set aside. In a large skillet, cook beef with onion and red pepper until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Add corn, soup, milk and garlic; mix well. Stir in the soup, corn and milk. Spread meat mixture in an ungreased 3qt. baking dish. Top with mashed potatoes; drizzle with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. For additional browning, place under broiler for a few minutes. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.




I was excited to find this recipe! Finally a roll that I can make with 100% whole wheat that is so light and fluffy and tastes so good . . . these are definitely melt in your mouth rolls!

(The recipe is for a bread machine, though I am sure you can make it by hand. Or with using a mixer such as a KitchenAid and then simply making it as my bread machine would [this worked with my regular bread recipe] -
layering the ingredients in the order given, mixing and then kneading for 21 minutes, letting it rise for 45 minutes, stirring/punching down the dough, letting it rise for another 22 minutes, and then following the remainder of the recipe.)


Sweet Dinner Rolls


-1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
-1/2 cup warm milk
(110 degrees F)
-1 egg
-1/3 cup butter, softened
-3 3/4 cups whole wheat flour (approximately)
-1/3 cup white sugar
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 package
(2 1/4 tsp.) active dry yeast

For later:
-1/4 cup butter, softened

Place water, milk, egg, 1/3 cup butter, flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select Dough Cycle; press Start.

When cycle finishes, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a 12 inch circle, spread 1/4 cup softened butter over entire round. Cut each circle into 8 wedges. Roll wedges starting at wide end; roll gently but tightly. Place point side down on ungreased cookie sheet. Cover with clean kitchen towel and put in a warm place, let rise 1 hour. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden. Enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. Oh Sarah, these both look sooo yummy! I am going to have to try this one very soon! Thanks for sharing as I am always looking for good down home meals to try. We need some variety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rolls look lovely! You are very skilled at bread making, Sarah. Your regular bread recipe was delicious, following your directions for the Kitchen Aid. Of course it was a bit less pretty, but tasted divine. I must file this one away to try as well. I think the Mr. will really enjoy these, especially if I add some fresh rosemary and thyme to the dough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What delicious recipes... trying new ideas is always exciting, and the joy one has when they help provide for their family is always a blessing. :)

    They both look so yummy... thank you for sharing!

    In Christ,
    ~Shannon~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must confess...this post made me kinda hungry :)

    On a more serious note though - your blog is so wonderful and always seems so positive and smiley! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, those recipes look great! That's great that those rolls are 100% whole wheat and look so lovely, light and fluffy! I should try that recipes sometime. The Shepherd's pie looks delicious and healthy too. Thanks for sharing!

    Blessings,
    ~Joy @ joy-live4jesus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. still following along with you too sweet sarah:)
    your seedling below are great!
    you should have a good start to your garden this year.
    and I love that baby wrap below:)!!!
    and...I'm copying the recipe for this pie and trying my hand at it this weekend:)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah...wonderful looking and sounding recipes. I especially look forward to trying the shepherd's pie. However...am I missing something? Where is the corn that I'm supposed to stir in? And how much corn? Please amend.:-)

    Someday I'm going to try homemade rolls. We don't eat rolls as often as homemade bread. Incidently, I have an AMAZING recipe for Cuban Bread that is so simple, and so delicious. It looks and tastes like artisan bread, and is quick to mix up--you only let it rise for 15 minutes. It's excellent with soup. I will have Bianca share that recipe on our blog sometime soon!:-)

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sarah~thank you for the recipes. The pie looks delicious!! I really like the way you made the bread. It looks like you take much time in your baking and cooking~I find it relaxing rolling the dough and taking my time with the cooking and baking. The Shepherds pie looks so nice and healthy, too. God bless, Rose

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Monica! I hope that you enjoy them. Like you, we are always looking for good down home meals as well . . . so we were glad to find these recipes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Renee, for your kind words! Bread making is getting a little easier, but I do still have flops from time to time. :) It is exciting, though, after many years of trying to bake with whole wheat - experimenting, tweaking recipes, and more - that I am finally beginning to be able to make whole wheat breads that we like!

    I am glad that the bread recipe worked so well for you with your Kitchen Aid. Ashley and I were excited with how well that worked for us, too! Mmm . . . adding fresh rosemary and thyme to the roll dough is a great idea. I need to remember to do things like that more often . . . herbed breads are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, indeed, Shannon! It is a joy being able to provide nourishing and tasty food for one’s family. You’re welcome for sharing the recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your kind words, Optimistic Existentialist! Glad that you are enjoying your visits here. (Even if a post does have the result of making one hungry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for your comment, Joy! The roll recipe is a great one, and so far, it has turned out wonderful rolls each time I have made it. If you do try it, I hope it works just as well for you!

    You’re welcome for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was nice to hear from you again, Amanda! Thank you for taking the time to comment. :) I am excited about the garden this year as we are getting an earlier start on it and have so many new ideas to try . . . and so far things have been going well with it.

    The baby wrap is so nice! (And the one that you are wearing in your photo looks really nice as well. :) I love carrying little ones in wraps such as these ones.

    Hope you enjoy the recipe! (And please note that I had forgotten to mention the corn in the ingredient list . . . the recipe has now been amended!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Betsy, thank you for pointing out the missing corn! It was in there at some point, but I must have unknowingly deleted it. The recipe has now been amended thanks to you! I hope that you all enjoy the recipe if/when you make it.

    The Cuban Bread sounds wonderful! I do hope that Bianca will share the recipe for it sometime as it sounds like one that I would enjoy making. :)

    Thank you again, Betsy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You’re welcome, Rose, and thank you!

    I do enjoy taking time to bake and cook, though I also appreciate recipes like these ones that are relatively quick to put together! Especially this time of year as the days get busier and busier. It is relaxing making breads, isn’t it? Well, doing about anything in the kitchen can be as long as like you shared, one slows down and enjoys it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)