Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Week with Ashley and Adelyn

Most of last week and the first two days of this week, we had the pleasure of having Ashley and Adelyn come and spend the days with us. Ryan and Ashley were having some work done on their house so when Ryan went to work, he would drop them off here and then pick them up on his way home. And of course, stop and visit for a bit, too. :) (And then one evening they joined us for homemade pizza, too, which was fun!)

Ashley had made some homemade baby food to begin giving to Adelyn, and here Ryan is feeding her carrots . . . she loved those! After the first bite or two that is. :) She wasn't sure about them at first!

Someone's getting sleepy while her Grandma rocks her

It was such an an enjoyable week! The conversations we had were wonderful and looking back, I think the primary topic was home management, homemaking, schedules, and the like. We are all working through the same book right now and are in the process of setting up daily schedules/plans (I use those terms loosely as they are rather fluid), so it was especially fun to talk about it together and to give inspiration and encouragement to one another as well.


Leah and Adelyn playing together

Then one day was spent up in the sewing room, another in the kitchen baking, another we all planned our menus and grocery lists, and then there were a few trips to town as well. It was amazing how quickly the hours of the days would fly by!

Ashley working on hemming a blouse

Meanwhile, Adelyn played contentedly on the floor

And Leah was working on hemming a skirt that she had made

It was also so enjoyable and special being able to spend so much time with Adelyn! We all loved that . . . snuggling with her, playing, getting her to laugh and smile (which isn't very difficult to do :), talking with her, and then simply watching all of her cute antics.

Ashley made the hair clip that Adelyn is wearing . . . they are so cute in her hair!

She has a fascination with her hands and fingers, and it almost seems like she is purposefully trying to wave sometimes

Ashley encouraging Adelyn to try to figure out how to come to her

Eventually Mommy helped her. :) It is so sweet watching these two together!

So happy in her Mommy's lap . . . all I had to do was say her name, and she would just grin and laugh

Adelyn also did so many 'new' things during these days! She solidified being able to sit up all by herself (as the photos attest to), she began standing some with holding onto only one of our hands instead of two (though she was a little wobbly :), by holding onto something she pulled herself up into a standing position, and more. She's also working on her second tooth . . . it's so fun watching her growing and changing!

Precious Adelyn

17 comments:

  1. What a wonderful week. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun week! What a blessing that Ashley and you all are so close and enjoy spending time together! Adelyn is beautiful and I know, from the little ones in my own life, how fun it is to see them growing and learning to do new things. Sometimes it can be bitter sweet, though. I remember when Alexis, my four year old cousin, after not being able to properly say our names - learned to say them right...well, it was almost more sad to me than anything because she was outgrowing that baby stage! Of course, I wouldn't want it any other way. We just have to cherish each individual stage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you just send her over here?!
    What a fun week it must have been sharing with each other and doing things together. Lovely to have family so close.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that you all had a fun week with Ashley & Adelyn! I loved looking at all the pictures.

    Next week is March break and my sister is planning to bring her three children (5, 3 & almost 1 year olds) and stay over at my parents' house for few days so I'm very much looking forward to hang out with them!

    Today, I went to the library to pick up all 6 books that they have by Isabella Alden. I'm looking forward to start reading this weekend. I hope I will enjoy them. Have you read any of these books?

    1. As in a Mirror
    2. Overruled
    3. Cunning workmen
    4. Ester Ried
    5. Ester Ried's awakening
    6. Ester Ried yet speaking

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what fun times, Sarah! I can't think of a better way to spend a day than puttering around at home, especially when joined by friends or family! Like you, I love to have conversations about any and all home management topics; theology; current events, and so on. I feel so energized after times like this!

    Adelyn is an absolute sweetie pie! What a blessing to have her nearby. I was quite amazed at the third photo...the toys she is playing with are almost identical to ones we had for our young children! And we kept them in a basket that looks exactly like yours!

    So what is the book that you are all working through? I assume it has something to do with homemaking or time management or some related topic. I have read many good ones like these over the years, and gleaned good ideas from all of them, but I'm always interested in reading new ones!

    Thanks for sharing this post, Sarah. It has been one of my favorites!:-)

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was, Julianne. :) And thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a blessing, Rachel! I am very thankful that we are able to have times like this together. Yes, I am sure you do know how fun it is watching little ones grow and learn to do new things! It is so enjoyable (and special!), isn’t it? Though as you shared, it can be bittersweet sometimes as well . . . such as what you mentioned when Alexis learned to say your all’s names correctly. The baby lisp would be missed! Each individual stage, though, is a wonderful and special one, and as you shared, we just need to cherish each one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We couldn’t spare her, Elizabeth! :) Though, I know you would just love her to pieces. She’s a little ray of sunshine who is just about always content and happy!

    It was a fun week, and it made me even more grateful that we live so close to one another.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Leah, for your comment! And I am glad that you enjoyed the photos. :) I am excited for you that your sister and her three children will be coming to visit! I know you will love seeing them all again and playing with your nieces/nephews. Have fun!

    That is wonderful that your library has so many Isabella Alden books! Yes, I have read some of the ones you mentioned . . . and one of them is my very favorite of hers: Ester Ried. That book made a great impact on my life, and it is one that I reread regularly as it is always so encouraging and convicting to me. (I think [though I am not sure] that Ester Ried’s Awakening is the same book as Ester Ried, but just with a different title.) Ester Ried Yet Speaking was the first of Isabella Alden’s books that I read, and I loved it! And quickly began collecting more of her books after reading it. Cunning Workmen is another excellent book that ranks up in my top favorites. I have not read As in a Mirror yet, and while I began to read Overruled once, I did not finish it as I didn’t care for the main storyline – it was quite different from her other books and there were some things in the book that I didn’t appreciate.

    Anyway, I hope you enjoy reading them! And I hope that they will be a great blessing to you as they have been to us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They were, Betsy! It sounds like you are much like us. :) I love days like these!

    I would agree wholeheartedly with what you shared about Adelyn! It is a very great blessing having her nearby. I am so thankful for that! That’s funny that the toys Adelyn was playing with are so similar to the ones that you had for your younger children. All of those are her toys (and the basket is what Ashley uses to store them in), though the ‘ring’ toy was one that my Mom just got recently for Adelyn to play with when she comes to our house. We had one like it when we were younger, and Adelyn loves it!

    The book that we are working through is Large Family Logistics . . . Ashley got it awhile back and began reading it and implementing a number of the ideas. After perusing through her book (and getting rather excited and inspired by what I saw) she shared an extra copy that she had with me. It has been such a help already, and I am loving the new home management schedule and things that we have made after reading it. It is going to be such a help in organizing my/our day to day lives and also with getting more accomplished in a day.

    I am glad that you enjoyed the post so much! And you’re welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sarah,
    Adelyn is just adorable! I love the last picture of her sweet smile and showing off her new tooth! :-)
    Hope you receive this ~ I've was having trouble leaving a comment.
    Blessings,
    Anne♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your comment, Mrs. Anne! I am glad that it went through this time. :) I am sorry you were having trouble, though!

    That last photo was probably my favorite as well. She has an adorable smile and especially now with her little tooth!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Miss Adelyn is emerging to be such a precious toddler! What a blessing that you are all close enough in proximety to have the opportunity to spend so much time together. Wonderful memories were made as you all got experience so many of Adelyn's "firsts" while she was with you...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for your comment, Renee! And I would agree. :) Adelyn is so precious! And yes, it is a great blessing that we live close enough to one another that we can spend times like this together. It is something that I am very grateful for!

    It was indeed wonderful being able to experience so many of her 'firsts' while she stayed with us . . . definitely a special treat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun! I love all the photos, and it sounds like just the kind of things I like to spend time doing. :)

    I love Large Family Logistics, too. She has so many great ideas. And it will be such a help to learn all these things now!

    Have a blessed weekend, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am glad that you enjoyed them, Joy! And yes, it does kind of sound like the things you enjoy doing. :)

    The author of Large Family Logistics does have so many great ideas! I have learned so much from the book and while a lot of it is not applicable to me right now, there is much that is that has been a great blessing to me. And I am looking forward to implementing more of the ideas from the book!

    Thank you, and I hope you have a blessed week as well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sarah, thank you for inviting your readers into your home through your blog. I always enjoy the visits. What a happy little girl Adelyn is!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)