Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Baker Creek Spring Planting Festival

. . . Amazing . . . Wonderful . . . Enjoyable . . . Fun . . . Refreshing . . .

There are many words that I could use to describe 
our day at Baker Creek this past weekend!


It was amazing seeing the historic buildings, the grounds, and the great variety of booths that were set up and items that were offered for sale. It was much bigger than I had anticipated!

A lady demonstrating how to spin

It was wonderful to spend time with my family both during the drive and during the hours spent together at the festival . . .

Daddy and Leah looking at the large collection of arrowheads

It was enjoyable being able to see all of the historic items and antiques . . .

Inside the seed store . . . I loved how it looked inside with all of seeds along the walls and above them lined with so many interesting antiques. And I would have loved to spend more time in here looking at everything, but it was a little too crowded for that!

 And it was enjoyable to listen to all of the wonderful music! 

A family band performing

It was fun being able to enjoy part of the day with one of the dear families that we home fellowship with. And it was refreshing to participate in an event that is reflective in many ways of some of our family's goals and of our vision for our farm.

Some of my favorite items in the room that was on seed history

Yet the highlight of the day was not within any of these things (though they were indeed very enjoyable and memorable!) No, the highlight was meeting dear friends that up until this weekend, had been ones that I had known only through e-mail or through visiting on the phone. Sweet sisters in the Lord that have been a great encouragement and blessing to me in many ways. How thankful I was for the time that I was able to spend with each of them and to visit with them!

One was a dear friend, Joy, whom I first began corresponding with back when I began blogging over four years ago. She had contacted me and our friendship blossomed as we e-mailed back and forth over the years. It has been such a blessing having a sweet "Titus 2" lady who loves the Lord whom I can learn from and be encouraged by. Through the years she has encouraged, taught, inspired, cared, and prayed for me and my family. And how glad I was that it finally worked out for us to meet face to face! (Thank you so much, Joy!)


I know you all would enjoy her blog, and I hope you find it as inspiring and encouraging as I have!

The other friend I was able to meet was a sweet young lady who is my age and who has many of the same interests and pursuits as I . . . we have a lot in common! What's more, though, her sweet spirit and love for the Lord have been a very great blessing to me as we have gotten to know one another through visiting on the phone, but it was even more so when we were able to visit in person.

So as I type this, I am overflowing with thankfulness to the Lord for all that He blessed with this past weekend . . . it is a weekend that I will never forget!

16 comments:

  1. What a lovely time you had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Sarah, how sweet! I saw your post in my blog reader and I rushed over here to see what you had posted. And I have to admit that I feel very honored and humbled by what you wrote.

    Thank you so much, and I have been so encouraged and blessed by you and our friendship through the years.

    I'm so glad that we were able to meet in person at Baker Creek! We had such a fun and enjoyable time.

    And you got a picture of the spinning lady! I thought she was so nice, as she took time to show us how to use the spinning wheel and also how to use a drop spindle.

    I'm hoping to write my post about our time there in the next day or two (maybe tonight!).

    You are such a blessing, Sarah, and I'm so thankful for you and your family! Getting to meet you was the highlight of my day!

    ♥Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice you got to go to Bakersville. I don't live very far from there, and that's where I go to buy my seeds and browse.
    We didn't go to the festival this year, very busy cutting hay. :-(
    So nice you got to meet up with Joy. :-)
    Blessings,
    Anne♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a wonderful time! A couple families from our church were there on Sunday. It looks like everyone must have had a lot of fun, and how wonderful for you to get to meet several special friends in person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you had such a nice time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have used Bakers Creek seed for a few years now and would love to take a trip down there. Maybe something we will have to do soon! Thank you for sharing your fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looked like a very enjoyable weekend, indeed, Sarah! The time spent with family and like-minded friends is such a blessing. How wonderful you got to meet old friends for the first time! I certainly hope that you will find more opportunies to get together with those dear friends.
    There is a large hardware store with a similar setup in the nearby Amish country region that I love to visit. One can easily spend hours admiring all of the antiques on display and items for sale! I can get lost wandering amongst the rooms of crocks and cannery, cast iron, grain mills, and gardening tools.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much, Joy, for your sweet comment! It definitely put a smile on my face. :) I, too, am so glad we were able to meet in person . . . it was wonderful to meet you and to spend time with you!

    Yes, I did get a picture of the lady spinning, and you are welcome to copy the photo of you would like. How neat that you were able to see her demonstrate how to use the spinning wheel and how to use a drop spindle. That would have been really interesting! I would have loved to have been able to watch and listen to that.

    I am looking forward to your post about Baker Creek and seeing what photos you were able to capture! I think you were able to see more than what we were able to. :) And it’s always fun ‘seeing’ things through someone else's eyes!

    Once again, Joy, thank you so much for your kind words, and thank you for making it possible for us to meet! It was a highlight for me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad it worked out for us to go, Mrs. Anne! That must be nice to live so close to them and be able to go buy your seeds there and browse through the store. We order seeds through their website, but it's just not the same thing as going there in person!

    That would have been neat if it had worked out for you to go to the festival this year as then maybe I could have met you, too! Maybe next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was, Miss Sarah! How fun for some of the families from your church to be able to go on Sunday. It was a wonderful day with beautiful weather (albeit a bit hot :), and there was so much to see, enjoy, and listen to!

    We did have a fun time, and it was a blessing being able to meet these dear friends!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They have good quality seeds and such a variety, don’t they, MidMoFarmFamily? Their prices are good as well which makes shopping there even more enjoyable. I know you would enjoy the festival and hopefully you’ll be able to go sometime!

    You’re welcome for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was indeed, Renee. I am thankful for the time that we were able to have together! And especially being able to meet old friends for the first time. :) It’s wonderful being able to communicate long distance, but much more so face to face. I, too, hope that we will have more opportunities to get together. Our visits together were far to short, and I would love to be able to sit down and have nice long talks with both of these sweet ladies!

    The hardware store near where you live sounds like it would be an enjoyable place to visit. Even if you weren’t needing to buy anything there! And it makes shopping much more pleasurable with the wonderful atmosphere. As I read your description of the store, it made me wish that I could go visit it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. FUN!

    I actually found your blog via Joy!

    And I'm SO happy I did!

    Love that photo of the two of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was, Amanda! That's interesting that you found my blog through Joy as I found your blog through hers, too! And likewise, I am so glad I did. :)

    Thank you for your sweet words!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)