Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Blackberry Picking

Over the years, it has been so nice to be able to discover different wild fruits on our place and to then be able to harvest and use them. First, it was the wild plum trees, and then a large mulberry tree was discovered. I had looked for blackberries, but never found any. But then this past winter, Dad cut down an old wild plum tree (that didn't produce anymore, and that was not only shading some of our fruit trees in our orchard, but was slowly dying, too.) With the tree gone and the sunlight now able to reach the brambles underneath, they yielded forth their fruit in abundance . . .


I have been enjoying going out and picking about every other day (and enjoying some of the sweet, juicy berries while I picked, too :), and so far, have been able to harvest around three quarts of berries. I've simply put them in the freezer for now until the harvest is finished as I am not sure what I'll decide to do with them. If there ends up being enough, I just might make blackberry jelly again which is a favorite around here!


There is something restful about berry picking . . . each time I have gone out I so enjoy it! The other evening especially so . . . the air was fairly still other than a light breeze from time to time. As I approached the berry patch, two little fledgling Carolina Wrens hopped out from underneath and began chattering away at me, and as I picked, the beautiful song of the Wood Thrush sounded in the distance. Other bird calls could be heard around me, and various insect life was around in abundance. The goats were out grazing in the pasture with the sun setting behind them, and their soft bleats could be heard occasionally as well. It was idyllic . . . I couldn't help but smile as I picked!

Now the patch is almost finished producing, and then I'll get to 
 decide what to do with all of the berries!

16 comments:

  1. Those berries look delicious, Sarah! Fresh wild berries are some of my favorite fruit. As the weather continues to heat up, I could imagine those being turned into a delicious sorbet for a weekend picnic. I look forward to hearing what you decide to do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sarah,

    We have been picking blackcaps like that, too! We're drooling over all the later-ripening blackberries, which seem to be more abundant. We would have to have a LOT of bushes to have enough left over to make jam, with all the munchers around.

    Being out in nature and partaking of wild goodies is a blessed thing, indeed.

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Picking Wild Blackberries with my dad's cousin was one of my favorite memories from my trips to the country as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoyed going out and picking blackberries! We had quite a few wild ones in Florida on the land behind our house. I am not sure if they grow here in Canada, but I will be looking once we get moved out to our new farm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how wonderful! We actually have blackberries growing up the fence behind our small barn but it seems there isn't much to be picked. But...behind our building at work there are tons of bushes and I'm thinking about sneaking back there and picking a few berries! :o) I love berry picking as well! It really is so peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! We too love blackberry picking... as they grow wild down here as well... we eat some of it, and then make jelly with the rest, providing blackberry goodness through the year!

    Blessings,
    ~Shannon~

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are, Renee! Mmm . . . a sorbet sounds good. I hadn’t thought of that! Or they could even be made into a topping for ice cream, or used in smoothies. I have lots of ideas of how to use them, but not enough berries to do them all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you have been enjoying the wild fruit, Marqueta! It’s so nice to be able to pick and enjoy wild fruits . . . and they taste delicious, too. I would imagine that your berries wouldn't last long with all of you to enjoy them fresh! I’ve been sticking most of ours in the freezer right away otherwise I think they would be quickly disappearing, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a special memory, Sandra! I think childhood experiences like that are some of the ones we remember with the most fondness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sure that was enjoyable, Emily! I hope that you are able to find some ones out at your new farm. And by the way, how exciting for you to be moving to your farm! I hope the move goes well and that you enjoy the new place!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is, Nabila! I am excited that we finally have wild blackberries that we can pick. Maybe the little patch behind your barn will decide to grow and flourish over the coming years. :) Wouldn't that be nice? And maybe you’ll be able to enjoy some of the bounty from the bushes by your work, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is, Shannon! How nice that you and your family enjoy blackberry picking as well. I can imagine how much fun you all have together! And the delicious result of enjoying fresh berries and homemade jelly is wonderful, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm hoping for a bumper berry crop this year as well, Sarah. We have some wild brambles that are loaded with berries-in-the-making. I too will probably freeze them until I can decide what to do with them.

    ~Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you have a bumper crop, Bianca! And have fun deciding what to do with yours. :) I don't think I'll have enough for blackberry jelly, so I'm not sure what I'll be doing with ours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sarah -- Your words paint such a lovely picture. I can almost hear the birds singing and feel the breeze on my face. Thank you for sharing a little piece of your world!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome to my blog, Deb, and thank you for your comment! I'm glad you enjoyed the post and 'coming along with me' blackberry picking. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)