Sunday, June 24, 2012

Caring for the Orphans

"Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world." James 1:27

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Several months ago, a friend of mine, Joy, posted on her blog about caring for the orphans around the world, and she shared several links to various blogs and posts that broke my heart to read and impacted my life. One of the links was to a blog that I have since been following . . . this family has 10 children and their 10th was born with Down syndrome. Through the gift of Verity and with how the Lord led them and taught them, they later adopted a precious little girl with Down syndrome from an orphanage in Bulgaria . . . an orphanage that significantly abused and neglected the helpless children there. Little Katie was miraculously found, brought home to America, and is now being loved, cared for, and taught by parents and siblings who love her so much. Who love Christ so much, and that love is pouring out from them as they work to help rescue the other children from Katie's orphanage and other desperately needy children as well.

Their blog can be found here:


And these two posts from their blog illustrate in a beautiful way what the Lord has done in little Katie's life:



There are so many children from Katie's orphanage who are in desperate need . . . both physically, spiritually and emotionally. Susanna, the author of The Blessing of Verity blog and the mother of Katie, often shares posts about these children and I can hardly read them without tears . . . this last one greatly touched my heart and was the prompt for sharing what I am here . . .


I wish I could rescue each one of these precious children . . . but I can't. I can't even rescue one. But I can pray. And I am asking you all to please pray with me that families would come forward and be able to adopt each of these special children. They desperately need love and care . . . spiritually, emotionally, physically . . . they are each children whom the Lord greatly loves . . . children for whom He died . . . please join me in praying for them!

"'For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.' Then the righteous will answer Him, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You?' The King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.'
Matthew 25:35-40 

18 comments:

  1. It makes one realise how thankful we should be for having known the joys of a happy home.
    I wonder if you know of the site called 'International voice of the orphan'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray for them every day. And I went and worked with some just this year. I only wish that I could have done more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it is very difficult to read and makes one very thankful for what we have. Joining you in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, thank you so much for sharing these posts; they touched my heart more than I can say. May we always lift our voices for those who have none - may their cries break our hearts just as they break the Lord's.

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Sarah. These posts were so heartbreaking. I couldn't keep the tears from falling as I read "Standing in their place." Adoption is something God has really burdened my heart with, and something I have been praying about for the future.

    I would love to go on a missions trip to an orphanage overseas someday. We have friends who are full-time missionaries in Bolivia. They work with orphaned and abandoned children. Sadly, due to government issues, children in Bolivia cannot be adopted at all. Our friends work on placing them in Christian homes of native Bolivians so that they can have a family.

    Thank you for sharing these links. I will definitely be reading "The Blessing of Verity" blog!

    ~Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful but heart-wrenching stories. Thank you for sharing. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Sarah, this is a subject matter near and dear to my heart. Working in a Congressional district office, I've had the opportunity to assist families that are in the process to bring home their children, especially when working on expediting visas due to medical issues. I pray often for orphans worldwide, as they are all deserving of love and a family. I pray that it may be in God's will for the Mr. and I do adopt in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Before I read this post few days ago, I was thinking about that it's time to look for more blogs to read to replace the ones I hardly ever read anymore and trying to decide which way I should go to support someone, ministry or something by praying, give money, or something that Jesus wants us to do.

    Thank you for telling us about the "Blessing of Verity" blog. I had tears in my eyes when I read about Katie's ordeal and the other children at the orphanage. It's so sad to hear how they were treated but glad things are turning better for these children and hope families will now be able to adopt these children. I will definitely pray for them and maybe give money to help them in anyway I can. Still praying about where my & God's money should go. I would love to adopt but knowing I can't do that right now. I definitely will keep reading this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It does, Elizabeth. And it also brings conviction to do what one can to help others who are experiencing much less than the happy home you speak of. How my heart aches for these children!

    I had not heard of the International Voice of the Orphan before. Thank you for mentioning it! After reading your comment, I visited their website and was encouraged by what I saw. It looks like they have a wonderful ministry and are touching countless lives!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so wonderful, Lidia!! Your comment touched my heart . . . it is so encouraging to hear that the Lord has already laid this burden on your heart and that you have faithfully been lifting up the orphans to the Lord. Thank you for your heart and for your example!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much, Mrs. Anne, for joining with me in prayer . . . already the Lord is answering! Three of the precious children mentioned in Susanna’s post have families committed to them!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are more than welcome, Vicki. And thank you so much for caring!! Yes, indeed may our hearts be broken for these precious and needy little ones . . . may we never forget to uplift them in prayer to our heavenly Father and to do what we can to help them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are indeed, Bianca. I have cried several times when reading this blog . . . both when first discovering it and reading through it, and later as new posts were being shared. Adoption is a burden on my heart as well, and if it is the Lord's will, I would love to adopt sometime in the future whether it be when married or single.

    The work that your friends are doing in Bolivia sounds wonderful! Touching hearts and lives in a way that none of us here can. To think of all of the children who they are helping and also pointing to Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, they are, Nabila. So much so. You are welcome for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your comment was indeed a blessing to read, Renee! You are in a unique and special place as you help assist families to bring home their children. What a wonderful opportunity for you! Thank you so much for caring, and thank you for all that you do to help these families. How wonderful it would be if the Lord opened the doors for you and your husband to be able to adopt someday, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for all that you shared, Leah, and for your caring heart for these children! What you shared touched my heart to read. I pray that the Lord would give you wisdom and direction in how he wants you to help and give.

    I, too, had tears come to my eyes when reading Katie’s story and about the other children in the orphanage . . . my heart just aches for them and longs to do something to help!

    You mentioned sharing money if the Lord should lead in that direction so I thought I would mention that there are two ‘chip in’ links on the sidebar of “The Blessing of Verity” blog – one is for helping to cover the medical expenses of the children in the orphanage so they can get the medical care they need; and the other is for nurses to work in the orphanage and care for the children.

    I am so glad that you were blessed by this blog, and thank you so much for praying!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for sharing this, Sarah!

    The Blessing of Verity is one of my favorite blogs. Susanna always encourages me to live for Jesus and love others.

    Thanks again for spreading the word, and for your prayers for all the precious children who need love and families.

    ♥Joy

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are more than welcome, Joy, and thank you so much for your words of encouragement!

    Like you, The Blessing of Verity is one of my favorite blogs to visit (and it is one of Leah's as well.) As you shared, Susanna is such an encouragement!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)