Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Wonders of His Creation

My Dad recently discovered this rather unique caterpillar on one of our 
apple trees and brought it over to show me . . .


Isn't it incredible with the many different brilliant colors and with the different features it has (such as its many spines and its 'sucker feet')? It was really neat to see and to watch it as it moved!


Quite curious as to what species it was, I brought it inside, pulled out our insect identification book, and began the search . . . meanwhile, trying to keep little caterpillar from crawling away. It turned out that my Dad was correct in his guess that it was the caterpillar to a moth . . . and a Cecropia moth to be exact.


Cecropia moths are beautiful ones and a bit uncommon as well (I have yet to see one that is alive.) Not wanting this little guy to perish, and not exactly wanting him consuming our apple tree leaves either, I looked in the book to see what different tree leaves they eat of which walnut was one. So I transported the little fellow to one of our walnut trees so that it could continue its work of eating, eating, eating until it is ready for the amazing transformation of metamorphosis.

 
What amazing design . . . such a little creature with such incredible detail . . . from the largest to the tiniest, all of creation does indeed bring praise and glory to its Almighty Creator's name! 

"Wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well." (Psalm 139:14)


Just a little note . . . I do hope to have a post up soon about Adelyn's 1st birthday! I have been wanting to share about it for the past week, but amidst tomato processing (which is finally winding down) I haven't yet had the time to process and re-size the photos. I hope to do that soon, though!

18 comments:

  1. How beautiful that lil guy/girl is! How wonderful that you were able to see it and study it. :o)It's colors are breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sarah,

    How beautiful! I had no idea cecrophia moth larvae were so colorful; I just learned something new! Something has been munching on our apple's leaves; I wonder if we have one, too (I shall have to investigate!)?

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete
  3. That makes one realise how amazing are the works of the Lord...a tiny caterpillar but so perfectly coloured. Thank you Sarah. I'd love to see a photo of the moth too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the most incredible little thing I have ever seen. Reminds me of a game of Chinese Checkers! (only it's infinitely more beautiful and complicated)

    That's a great macro lens you've got there too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful and vibrant caterpillar. I have never seen one this colorful! Thank you for sharing the lovely photographs! :)

    Many Blessings,
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I didn't know caterpillars come with more than one color on their body. So cool & pretty. Thank you for showing us the pictures of what God created the caterpillar. He is so creative and in awe of what He does for the world. Last week, I was driving to work, I saw a family of 4 raccoons walking across the street. Then the two ran up the tree and one ran to the back of the tree and then peeked around the tree at me. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely beautiful! What an awesome creator we serve! I have been meaning to do a similar post about..... grasshoppers. They are an incredible nuisance to my garden and we catch many to feed to the chickens, but I am still in awe of how beautifully and incredibly they are made!

    ReplyDelete
  8. He's just beautiful!!
    Amazing, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousJuly 28, 2012

    I don't like creepy-crawlies, but this colourful little creature is so beautiful.
    You've converted me!
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is! I am glad we had the opportunity to see it, too. The colors are indeed breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hadn’t either Marqueta! I have seen photos in identification books of brilliantly colored caterpillars such as this one, but have not really seen any in person before. So it was an especial treat to see this one! Hmm . . . I wonder if your apple tree muncher could be one of these caterpillars. :) If so, I hope you can find it as I know you and your children would enjoy seeing one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It does indeed, Elizabeth. The more I see of His creation and learn about it, the more I am in awe! So much creativity, detail and intricate design.

    Here is a website that has some photos of the moths: http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/cecropiamoth.htm. (Just a note: the caterpillar on the site is much less striking in color than the one we saw . . . I read that their coloring can vary a lot and especially at varying stages of growth. Just thought I'd mention that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn’t it amazing, Rena?! So beautiful and striking in its coloring.

    By the way, thank you again for your comment here! And now I have a link to your blog. :) I already enjoyed visiting it, and I look forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is indeed, Jenna! This is the most colorful one I have ever seen, too. You’re welcome for sharing, and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It’s amazing all of the different colors that caterpillars come in, Leah! You’re welcome for sharing, and I’m glad you enjoyed seeing them. :) The Lord’s creation certainly is beautiful and so intricate in its design. Like you, the more I see and learn about it, the more I am in awe of its Creator!

    How neat to be able to see the family of raccoons! They are such cute little animals. :) I’m glad you could enjoy that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isn’t it, though, Becky? And yes, indeed, what an awesome Creator we serve.

    I would enjoy seeing your post about grasshoppers! Despite the nuisance they are, I would agree, they are amazing in their design as well. I’m sure your chickens are enjoying them! Ours love grasshoppers, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your comment made me smile, Kay! It is beautiful, isn’t it?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)