Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Heritage Festival

Last weekend Dad, Mom, Leah and I spent part of the day at a heritage festival, and we had such an enjoyable time! Antiques, history, period clothing . . . I think a smile was on my face most of the time and my hands busy utilizing my camera as we took in all of the much enjoyed sights and sounds around us. I took so many photos, but for brevity's sake, will just share those from our favorite parts of the day :) . . .

 

We really liked this wagon! (And there was another just to the right of it that was part of the display as well [it's in the below photo]) The one above was set up like a chuckwagon complete with a campfire and a pot of something cooking over it. When we came by, the gentleman was engaged in conversation with other visitors explaining to them historical facts regarding the set-up, etc.

 
From the saddle, to the barrel inside, to the rope hanging over the back, this display really caught my eye! And Dad's, too. :)

A close-up of a riata 
(thanks Becky for sharing the right name of it! :)

The back of the chuckwagon which was really neat . . . look at all of those drawers and shelves! I'm not sure why, but anything with drawers, shelves, cubbyholes, I am especially drawn, too. Maybe it's the organizer in me!

The central attraction to the grounds of this festival are the original and historical buildings on site . . . the historic Maplewood House, a general store/post office, a cabin, a shotgun house, and another small and very old home. 

When visiting this park before during a 'non-festival' day, we peeked in the windows of each of these buildings, but they were closed-up to the public. I remember thinking then how much I would like to go inside each of them! Well, the day of the festival all of the buildings were open!

We started with the Maplewood House, and while it's not exactly my style as far as interior decorating (I much prefer the farmhouse and cabin styles), I really enjoyed going inside each of the rooms! My camera was rather busy in here :) . . . .

Maplewood House


In the parlor, this immediately caught my eye . . . not only a beautiful desk, but a bookcase as well!

This was in the music room . . . yes, they had a separate room just for music!

The Dining Room

My favorite room of the house . . . the kitchen. And look at this beautiful stove! It reminded me of the one that I have . . . only this one is in much better shape.

A lovely quilt spread over one of the beds upstairs . . . if I am remembering correctly, there were four or five bedrooms up there.

A beautiful antique trunk
 (and there is something a tiny bit related to this that I'll be sharing about in a later post. :)

One of the bedrooms had a little sewing area set up . . . Leah and I admired not only the small sewing machine, but also the unique stand and basket that held the sewing supplies.

After we had finished going through the house, we walked around the grounds a bit more, looking at the many booths set up, watching demonstrations and more . . .

This gentleman was explaining to a little boy how the gun (which I believe was a flintlock) works.

Handmade brooms for sale

A blacksmith was busy at work here

There were several antique vehicles set up for display, and this milk truck was one of our favorites . . .

Dad, Mom and Leah looking at it

It's a Ford! :)

A full side view of it . . . see the little seat in the back?

A front view

This car was neat simply for the fact that when my Dad was young, he had one almost identical to this one! Even the bright red interior was the same. :) It was fun listening to him reminisce!

The General Store and Post Office

It was really enjoyable seeing all of the many items and displays in here!

Wooden construction/carpentry tools . . . wooden planes are on the counter

A scale

Various kitchen items

A display with sewing and other related items

The veterinary shelf

Next to visit was . . .

The Cabin

My favorite of all of the buildings . . .

Not quite authentic with the folding chair in the foreground is it? :)

In each building, there were people dressed in period clothing who would share about the history of the building, the time period, etc. In the cabin, one of the gentlemen saw me photographing different things and was so kind as to offer to pull back the bedding so I could see underneath and photograph it. :) I'm not sure why, but rope beds hold a fascination for me, and it was neat to see this one!

Quite the contrast to our kitchens of today. :) I can just imagine a pioneer mother standing over the counter rolling out biscuits for breakfast.

Everything about this (except the folding chair :) I really like! The floor, the fireplace, the rug, table . . . wouldn't it be fun to live in a place like this? Only maybe a little bigger. :)

The beautiful table and chairs

The walls were impressive! On the logs one could see the evidence of each beam being hand hewn. Can you imagine doing all of this by hand?

There was a beautiful spinning wheel in the cabin, and this is a close-up of part of it.

Back outside, we walked around a bit more and enjoyed watching some of the artisans at work . . .

I had never seen a rug made this way before. Now I am looking forward to trying it myself sometime!

A lady sewing a handbraided rug together

Meanwhile her husband wove a table runner on a loom . . . he gave a little demonstration and explained how it all worked. It sounded complicated!

After visiting all of the buildings and walking over the grounds by all of the booths, we decided to call it a day and head for home. With happy hearts, minds full of ideas and inspiration, and a camera full of photos to enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Oh what a fun trip!! :o) I always enjoyed these kind of outings as a child. I should see about finding places around here to take my kids to. :o) Love the cabin as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be such a fun trip .... to see the way someone would have lived so simply and richly without the complications of modern living (I say this as my washer is humming away LOL). And how great for your Dad to able to go down memory lane with you ladies, I bet it made the stories more vivid. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful day =D PS Congrats on your new additions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely!! Oh wow, I loved all of that. I think my favourite was the milk truck. And how great that the cabin could be preserved so well.

    Your Dad must have been quite the Man About Town with a car like that. :) It's very snazzy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely! To me that is a day well spent and its so soothing and fun to look at our nations past. Thank you so much for sharing Leah! I enjoy it when people share historical places. My family is going to Colonial Williamsburg this weekend and I can't wait! I will try and take pictures and post them to my blog as well.

    God bless!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! Do you actually have a kitchen stove like that one?
    Thanks for sharing the day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah...I think it's wonderful how, in the midst of such busyness and the whole hail-clean up, your family nevertheless takes the time to enjoy outings like this. I am certain it serves to refresh and rejuvenate you! I hope the clean-up is going well, by the way.

    Your Mom's hair looks especially pretty in these photos. Did she lighten it? Very nice!

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. So neat! I always enjoy going to things like that! Once again I am amused by how similar yours and mine 'taste' in things are. So very often when you post about the things you enjoy to see/do (such as the cabin being your favorite, and wanting to make the rug like the one the lady was making etc.) they are very similar to my own.

    The braided rope on the wagon that you thought was maybe called a lariat is called a riata. It is a Spanish word for a braided leather rope.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your comments! I enjoyed reading each of them. :) And I’m glad you all enjoyed the post!


    ~ Marianna, I do have a stove that is pretty similar, but it is smaller than this one and it is also in a lot worse condition! My parents had gotten it for free many years ago and then later gave it to me. I am hoping to someday have the cracks in it repaired and restore it to working condition again!


    ~ Betsy, the clean-up is going well, thank you! And no, she didn’t lighten her hair, but the sun did. :) She’s been outside a lot this summer!


    ~Becky, we do have really similar tastes, don’t we? :) Thank you for sharing about the riata! I’m glad to know that proper name for it . . . and I’ve changed it in the post now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)