Monday, November 12, 2012

Homemade Biscuits

With an excess of milk in our fridge (again! :) and no time to make cheese on Saturday, Leah and I opted for making biscuits and sausage gravy for dinner, and used our all time favorite biscuit recipe. It's one of the few things that we make with all-purpose flour, but it makes the best biscuits. Light, flacky, buttery, and oh, so good! And I thought you all might like the recipe as well . . . enjoy!



Good Plain Biscuits

--2 cups all-purpose flour
--1 Tbsp. baking powder
--1/4 tsp. salt
--6 Tbsp. butter
--2/3 cup milk

Heat oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Add the milk to the flour mixture; mix lightly with a fork until the mixture clings together and forms a ball of soft dough. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently, turning 5 or 6 times.

With a floured rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/2-inch thickness. With a floured 2-inch cutter, cut the dough into rounds. Place the biscuits 1-inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Pat the dough scraps together, reroll, and cut out more biscuits.

Bake the biscuits 10 to 12 minutes or until they are light brown. Yields around 10 biscuits. (As we generally need more biscuits than this, I always make two batches [the biscuits don't seem to turn out as well if the recipe is doubled.] They are so good with gravy or simply with honey or jelly on them!)

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Those look yummy!

I always forget that American biscuits are different to the ones over here!

Ours are more like cookies so it tends to surprise me when I see them served with gravy!

Elizabethd said...

At last! I have wondered for years about the American 'biscuit'! It is so similar to what we call a scone. A biscuit to us is what you call a cookie, I think!
Differences all around the world.

Laura said...

Dear Miss Sarah,

Oh, there is nothing better than a warm biscuit on a cold wintry evening! I use a very similar recipe...yet have a little "twist" to it that my nana taught me. She would bake her biscuits for about 7 or 8 minutes...then turn off the oven and slightly open the oven door. The biscuits seemed to rise higher and come out oh, so flaky!

Thank you so much for sharing your recipe...I'm sure they must taste terrific with warm gravy!

Sweet blessings,
Mrs. Laura

Lidia Maxine said...

Now I am wanting biscuits and jelly. :) Sigh, I guess I will have to go make some when I get home. :)

Sarah said...

~ Jenny and Elizabethd . . . it’s funny that you both shared about the same thing and commented about the same time, too! I hadn’t realized the difference in names. :) Now you know what our American ‘biscuit’ is!


~ Mrs. Laura . . . thank you for sharing that idea. I’ll have to give it a try!


~ Lidia . . . sorry. :) If you did end up making some, I’m sure they were much enjoyed!

A Heart of Praise said...

Graham and I both like biscuits, I will have to give this recipe a try. :)