Monday, December 31, 2012

A Little of This and That

Yesterday afternoon, I went around our home with my camera and 
captured a few rather random photos :) . . .
 

-- No flowers to be seen outdoors, but a few artificial ones bring a little cheer to our room --



-- More soap curing --



-- 'New' to me old books all of which are by anonymous authors. I have been able to add a number of wonderful books to my library lately which I am thankful for! --



-- The one I am reading right now --



-- My cross-stitch that is still in progress. I'm working on the curtain now 
which is one of the last things left  --



-- A glass jar that Mom and Dad found at an antique store made not only a practical, but an attractive, display in the bathroom for bars of homemade soap --



-- Winter decor . . . and it really has felt like winter here lately with the temperature not even climbing above freezing most days! --



-- Not quite a winter cross-stitch :), but it contrasts well with the greenery! And the verse is always an encouraging reminder --



-- My hammered dulcimer that I have so been enjoying playing! 
(Along with the piano and a bit of fiddle, too) --



-- And my (almost) finished rocking chair! It has its new seat in now and I had thought it was all done, but after a bit of use, realized the wood glue repair I had done on the seat wasn't enough. So we're going to get a steel plate to attach to the bottom of the seat and hold the pieces together (it already has two really old bolts through the side of the seat that someone had used at one point in the chair's life to hold it together. They aren't quite enough, though!) I am really looking forward to when I'll be able to use it again! --

13 comments:

Karen F said...

Great pictures Sarah. I especially liked the 9th one you posted...the hammered dulcimer of course! ;-) It is such a beautiful instrument both in sound and looks. :-)

Happy New Year!

Karen

Elizabethd said...

So nice to stroll around your home, Sarah.
Best wishes for a peaceful and happy new year.

Mrs. B, a very peculiar person said...

Happy New Year, Sarah! Thanks for showing us all the beauties around your home.
Mrs.B

Anne said...

I love old books, and the rocking chair is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing your lovely photos.
Best wishes for a blessed New Year!

7 Eagles said...

My favorite photo is the antique glass jar display. It's amazing how old glass, a bit of lace, and some flowers--not to mention a good eye--can transform bars of soap into a work of art!

~ Betsy

P.S. I was studying what looks like your bed behind the rocker...do you have built-in drawers underneath it?

Sarah said...

Thank you, Karen! I’m not surprised that was your favorite photo. :) . . . it is indeed a beautiful instrument, and you play so well! I enjoyed listening to the video of you playing, and an e-mail will be heading your way shortly!

Sarah said...

I’m glad that you enjoyed it, Elizabeth! And thank you. :) May this next year be a blessed one for you as well!

Sarah said...

Thank you, Mrs. B! And you’re welcome. :)

Sarah said...

Thank you, Mrs. Anne! Old books are wonderful, aren’t they?! I’m glad that you enjoyed the photos, and you’re welcome for sharing. I hope that you will have a blessed new year as well!!

Sarah said...

I’m glad you liked it, Betsy! And thank you. :) That would be nice to have built-in drawers underneath my bed! But no, I don’t. At the foot of the bed is my cedar chest, and then on the floor next to that is a little drawer/box that I still need to find a place for.

Joy said...

Lovely, homey photos! I'm still trying to carve out some time to make some more soap. I gave some to my mom, and she offered to watch the children for an afternoon so I could make us all some more! :)

I have a cross stitch that I've been working on for almost 2 years now...I was hoping to finish it in 2012, but it's still not done. Maybe this year. Yours looks beautiful.

Elyse got a chance to read the Isabella Alden book you all were telling her about--was it "Sevenfold Trouble", or something like that? We got an e-reader for $29 (even though we never thought we would, since we love real books so much), and David was able to find a free copy online for her to read. She really liked it a lot. Thanks for recommending it!

Sarah said...

Thank you, Joy! That’s sweet of your mom to offer to watch the children so you can make soap . . . I hope that works out for you soon.

I had hoped to have this cross-stitch and my quilt finished in 2012, too . . . but like you, it didn’t happen. :) Maybe 2013 for both of us!

That is wonderful that Elyse was able to read A Sevenfold Trouble! And I’m glad that she liked it. E-reader would be helpful in providing opportunity to read so many of the good old books that haven’t been republished!

I’ve been thinking of you all and praying for you!

Nabila Grace said...

I loved this post! Sometimes it's nice to pause and just look around at the small blessings that we sometimes can over look! I love how your rocker has turned out it's so beautiful! :)