Sunday, February 17, 2013

A Sunday Hymn ~ Before the Throne of God Above

I do not believe this song is 'technically' a hymn, but it is reminiscent of the hymns of old and is one of Leah's and my favorites to play and sing. I wish you could hear the melody as it conveys such emotion and fits perfectly with the words! But even the words by themselves are so powerful . . . and encouraging. I pray that they will be a blessing to you!



Before the Throne of God Above

Before the throne of God above
I have a strong and perfect plea;
A great High Priest whose name is Love,
who ever lives and pleads for me.

My name is graven on His hands;
My name is written on His heart.
I know that while in heav'n He stands,
no tongue can bid me thence depart,
no tongue can bid me thence depart.


When Satan tempts me to despair
and tells me of the guilt within,
upward I look and see Him there,
who made an end of all my sin.

Because the sinless Savior died,
my sinful soul is counted free. 
For God the Just is satisfied
to look on Him and pardon me,
to look on Him and pardon me.


Behold Him there, the risen Lamb,
my perfect spotless righteousness,
the great unchangeable I AM,
the King of Glory and of grace.

One with Himself I cannot die;
My soul is purchased by His blood.
My life is hid with Christ on high,
with Christ my Savior and my God,
with Christ my Savior and my God.

 Words by Charitie L. Bancroft

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"But Jesus, on the other hand, because He continues forever, holds His priesthood permanently. Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them. For it was fitting for us to have such a high priest, holy, innocent, undefiled, separated from sinners and exalted above the heavens; who does not need daily, like those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins and then for the sins of the people, because this He did once for all when He offered up Himself." Hebrews 7:24-27

". . . we who have taken refuge would have strong encouragement to take hold of the hope set before us. This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and steadfast and one which enters within the veil." Hebrews 6:18b-19

"Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:1-2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10 comments:

Miss Sarah said...

I love this song too! It has such meaning and so many beautiful, precious reminders of God's love and faithfulness. We have a CD with this on it, and have listened to it over and over being blessed every time!

Your pictures are beautiful too, by the way. :)

Anna said...

I have never seen this hymn before, so I appreciated reading through it. It has a powerful message! (Perhaps you and Leah will have to record yourselves playing it and post it for us to hear!:)

Julianne said...

I know this song! It is beautiful and what a meaningful message!

Sarah said...

It does indeed, Miss Sarah! How nice that you have a CD with it on it so you are able to listen to it. We have a CD with it as well, and it is a favorite of ours to listen to. :)

Thank you!

Sarah said...

It's message is powerful, Anna! I am glad that it was a blessing to you!

Maybe we will someday. :)

Sarah said...

I would agree, Julianne!

Rena said...

Arriving late to say, this hymn is new to me, and it's very helpful. I particularly like the simplicity of those lines:

For God the Just is satisfied
to look on Him and pardon me.

I found it on You Tube in order to hear the tune. I don't quite like the manner in which it is sung there, to me it changes the reverence of the words into something less. I see what you mean now by not quite a "hymn". The words are definitely a hymn though. Thanks for posting - with beautiful pictures too :)

Sarah said...

Thank you for your comment, Rena! :) I am sure the 'sound' of the song depends greatly on the instrumentation that accompanies it, and the one singing it. I have heard some of the old hymns sung in a 'modern' way, and it totally changes them!

The manner in which we sing this song is very much like a traditional hymn. Probably quite different than what you had heard on youtube! :)

Joy said...

Beautiful photos and hymn! I don't think I've ever heard that hymn before, either.

Sarah said...

Thank you, Joy! And I am glad the hymn was a blessing. :)