Saturday, February 23, 2013

Gathered Gems . . . from Andrew Murray

Several months ago, I found at a thrift store a reprint of the book Daily Experience with God by Andrew Murray and have since read it. There was so much in it that encouraged and convicted my heart! The central theme of the book is our time with the Lord in His Word and in prayer . . . being devoted to reading the Scriptures . . . truly fellowshiping with the Lord . . . after reading, obeying His Word . . . keeping Christ's commandments, and so much more. I underlined the portions in the book that especially spoke to my heart (of which there are many :), and these are a few of them . . .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

"Personal devotion to Jesus means that we allow nothing to separate us from Him for a moment. To abide in Him and His love, to be kept by Him and His grace, to be doing His will and pleasing Him - this cannot possibly be an irregular practice if we are truly devoted to Him . . . personal devotion to Him refuses to be content with anything less than to abide always in His love and His will." (pg. 8-9)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"True Christianity aims at having the character of Christ so formed in us, that in our most ordinary activities His temperament and attitudes reveal themselves. The Spirit and the will of Christ should so possess us that in our relationships with people, in our leisure time, and in our daily business it will be second nature for us to act like Him. All this is possible because Christ Himself, as the Living One, lives in us." (pg. 9-10)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   

"The only proof of a true, living, saving knowledge of God; the only proof of not being self-deceived in our religion; the only proof of God's love not being an imagination, but a possession, is keeping His Word." (emphasis in the original; pg. 52)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you love Me, you will keep My commandments." John 14:15


*As a little disclaimer, while I was greatly blessed by this book, there are things in it that I disagree with . . . which seems to be pretty typical with most books I read. :) It is one that I would recommend, though! But please use discernment while reading, and as we should with all things, examine what is shared in the light of Scripture.

4 comments:

  1. I'm always happy when I find a good book at a thrift store.

    Thanks for sharing those little food for thought nuggets.

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful thoughts! I love how it makes you stop and really think about what he is saying. Such depth to those few words. I might need to write out a few of these to add to others from quotes you have shared to my sink area so I can read them every time I wash dishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am, too, Joyful Chaos! And you're welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does indeed make one stop and think, Nabila, as there is so much in those words. I am glad it was a blessing to you! And I had to smile about the quotes above your sink area . . . what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)