Thursday, February 21, 2013

It's Snowing!

The snow started falling this morning just about the time I finished up with my morning animal chores, and it has continued to fall heavily all day. It is so beautiful out! And I have very much enjoyed watching it fall . . . I love snow! Right now we have around eight to nine inches on the ground, and it is still falling, though, not as heavily as it had been, the flakes have gotten larger, and there has started to be some sleet mixed in it, too. As anxious as I am for spring, I was hoping for one big snow before it arrived, and we got it! :)


There has been thundersnow throughout the day, too, and a couple of times when we were outside, it rumbled across the sky right above us. It was kind of an eerie sound, but neat at the same time!

This photo was taken this morning an hour or two after the snow began

 And this one was taken about thirty minutes ago . . . the snow has gotten deep! Especially where the wind has caused it to drift.

A short while ago, Leah and I went out and gave the rabbits their unthawed water bottles, and I also scooped the snow away from the beehive entrances and put up boards to block more snow from building up there. Then in the dairy pen, scooped a path from one goat shelter to the other. Dixie and Larkspur had gotten 'stranded' in one of them (their least favorite of the two), and they were so glad to get back to the one that they normally bed down in. The dairy girls aren't especially fond of snow, but Aurora didn't seem to mind it as she walked right out into it when she saw me (and it came about up to her belly!) 

I am looking forward to going out and photographing once it stops snowing, but until then, these few taken from our windows will have to suffice. :)

22 comments:

  1. You certainly got your wish Sarah-you can see just how big the flakes are in your last photo-I always enjoy the peace and calmness that snow seems to bring
    Blessings to you and your family
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that it snowed in Missouri. How often do you get snow and when it snows do you get a lot?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The snow is pretty. We got all sleet and ice, with a touch of snow. Thunder sleet is eerie too.
    Keep warm,
    Anne♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness, Sarah. That is a White landscape. We are forecast to have snow, but I doubt it will be like your White weather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Send some snow my way if you please :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. how beautiful, Sarah! :) what a tremendous and lovely blessing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big snow days are beautiful and cozy...IF I don't have to drive anywhere that day. I don't relish traveling in weather like that--I'd much rather be warm inside with hot chocolate and some quiet inside work!

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I did, Fiona! :) And I am thoroughly enjoying it. I, too enjoy the peace and calmness that snow brings . . . there is just something special about it. I especially love those snowfalls when it is still out and you can here the snow as it falls!

    Thank you for your kind note!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, we do get snow in Missouri, Anya, though this year we haven’t had us much as usual . . . until this week, that is. :) I think we have made up for our lack of snow, though, as we got over a foot! And there is more on the way next week.

    Usually our snowfalls are in the 4 to 6 inch range so this one was more than normal. The most memorable snow I can remember was two years ago when we had nearly two feet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is indeed, Mrs. Anne. Especially today as the sun came out and is reflecting off of the snow which is just glittering under its rays!

    I was sorry to hear that you all had sleet and ice! I know how difficult that makes things . . . I hope you all are staying safe and warm and that your cows and calves are making it through all right!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is, Elizabeth! And it is so pretty today with the sun out. I hope that you will stay safe and warm through your winter weather . . . and enjoy your snow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too bad I can’t, Optimistic Existentialist :) . . . we have plenty to spare and more on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is, Mikailah! Even though it makes chores more challenging, I am very much enjoying it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are indeed, Betsy! No, traveling in that kind of weather isn’t pleasant . . . and since our snow came after most everyone around here went to work, it was a mess in town and on the interstate/highways until the next day as crews tried to pull out the all of the many cars that were stranded on the roads. Now everything is plowed and driveable . . . just in time for another winter storm that is due to hit next week!

    Yes, that is what we’d rather due as well! And what we did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that snow looks so beautiful! I'm so glad you were able to get some! enjoy it for me too! I love snow as well and wish we would get more here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah! How beautiful! Living here in the south, snow is unheard of... but seeing these photos reminds me of that glorious creation! So lovely...

    Blessings,
    ~Shannon~

    ReplyDelete
  17. We never get quite as much as you, but I'm so thankful for the snow we got! It was a lot for us, and we've enjoyed playing in it every day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was beautiful, Nabila! And our second snow as even more so. :) We did enjoy it! Though, we're ready for it to melt now. :)

    Too bad we couldn't send you some as we had more than enough to spare!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is indeed beautiful, Shannon! I always love seeing it . . . and even though you live in the South, at least you can enjoy it through photos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am glad that you all got snow, Joy! How fun for you and your children to be able to enjoy it and play in it! I can just imagine the great times you all have been having. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)