Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Making a Garden Map

During the cold winter days (or many times, evenings), I have pored over various gardening books, gleaning inspiration from the beautiful photographs therein. Garden layouts, companion plantings, creative ways to trellis climbing plants, beds of vegetables, herbs and flowers intermixed, and more. These two vegetable gardening books are currently my favorites, and both of them were library book sale finds . . .


I have really enjoyed reading them and studying the photos for inspiration!

After getting a basic idea in my mind for a garden layout, I did a rough draft out on paper . . . a really rough and hurried draft - scribbles, messy handwriting, and all! . . .


Then after getting accurate measurements of the actual garden, I drew out a miniature of the garden as accurately as I could with each 1/4" equaling one foot, and then transferred my above rough draft into it, adjusting things as needed . . .


 It was a bit time consuming, but it was fun to do, and I was pleased with the results! Now if what's on paper will just translate out into the garden well. :)

And while garden planning has been underway, the seedlings have been growing . . .


 The onions started growing well, but since the above photo was taken, they are all falling over . . . does anyone have any idea as to why? They look healthy besides that! The broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower are all up, too, and the celery is planted. Tomorrow I am hoping to start eggplant and peppers.

While it is still too early to do much in the garden, I enjoyed working in the orchard on some of the warmer days last week. 

 
Our well used compost bins which are on the corner of the orchard . . . the contents are in need of a turning right now.

All but two of the fruit trees are now weeded and mulched around and six stumps were dug around and sawed out (which was tiring! but so satisfying to have them gone . . . it will be much easier to mow and keep it looking nice in the orchard without them there.) Once the stumps were out, I mowed the orchard, and it looks much better after the work was finished!

Part of the orchard

It is blustery and cold here now, though, so it is inside work today!

6 comments:

  1. It is a very good idea to make a garden plan. You may find it changes as you actually do it, but it will work itself through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah! Your plan looks great; I wish our garden could look like that. *sigh*
    As soon as I finished reading your post I continued reading another blog and she happened to be talking about damping-off. That might be what happened to your onions. You might want to check it out at www.deeprootsathome.come.
    In Christ,
    Sarah (yes we have the same name! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have found it to be quite helpful, Elizabeth! And yes, we find that it generally changes once we actually start planting. :) I put more thought and time into the planning this year, so I am especially curious to see how it all works out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to my blog, Sarah, and thank you for your comment! I enjoyed hearing from you. :) Thank you also for sharing the link to the other blog and mentioning about damping-off. That was helpful! I’m wondering if damping-off might indeed be part of the problem. I think also I let the seedlings get too tall before trimming them, and some of them, it looks like their tops never came all the way out of the ground so they started rotting at the top of their stem where it still had ground contact. I trimmed them all yesterday so I am hoping the remaining seedlings will live!

    Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like such a happy occupation for cold winter days! We have done the same thing in previous years, and it's really helpful.

    I've been trying to figure out how I can turn our unproductive yard area into edible landscaping, so that we're fully utilizing our whole 1 acre! :)

    Those look like great books--you find the best things at library book sales!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was, Joy! I love the idea of edible landscaping! And I am eager to see what you come up with. :) It is amazing how much can be fit into a small space! That was actually part of my idea as I mapped out the garden and found other areas around our property to stick vegetables. I am excited to see how it all comes together!

    Our library book sales are amazing! At least, they have been in the past . . . I think most of the good books have been bought up now, though, as the past few sales haven't had a lot of good ones. Our next sale is in just a few weeks, and we are looking forward to that! Hopefully they'll have lots of good books this time. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)