Saturday, May 18, 2013

Baker Creek Spring Planting Festival

 . . . old time buildings . . . period clothing . . . plants in so many varieties . . . old-fashioned crafts . . . music . . . vendors . . . people . . . smiles . . . laughter . . . animals . . .

. . . all of which were part of the Baker Creek Spring Planting Festival!

Last week, Dad, Mom, Leah and I had the opportunity to go to the festival, and despite the cold temperatures, wind, and rain, we had a wonderful time! As some good friends of ours that we hadn't seen in quite awhile were there as well, most of our time was spent with them; and as they had booths there, Leah and I didn't see a great deal of the festival (which we didn't mind at all!) as spending time together with our friends was a special treat!


At one point, though, Leah and I took a walk around part of the grounds and enjoyed going into many of the buildings and visiting the seed store. (All of the photos shared in this post were ones taken during our walk.) We had a fun time together! And as we both have quite an appreciation for the time-period that is depicted there as well as old-time crafts, gardening and more, it was especially enjoyable.


My friend, Morgan, had a booth there selling the homemade soaps that she makes, so outside of our walk, Leah and I spent most of the day with her in her booth visiting with her when she had opportunity and helping her as needed. What a blessing it was to be able to fellowship and encourage one another in the Lord! And as we have many similar interests and pursuits (raising goats, gardening, etc.), there is never a lack of things to talk about. :)


At one point during the day, Morgan and her siblings were going to sing in the talent show so Leah and I worked her booth for her while she was gone. We really enjoyed doing that!


We also had the blessing of seeing and visiting with a young lady that we had met at the Worldview Weekend Conference last month. It was such an encouragement talking with her! Some of the topics of conversation were about how we are striving to put into practice the things we had learned, living for the Lord, studying His Word, and ministering to those we know.


Both Morgan's family and ours had brought a lunch so in the afternoon, we ate in shifts inside a building that was right by her booth. Leah, Morgan, her little sister and I had a pleasant and fun time visiting together during lunch, and it was also nice to be able to be out of the wind for a bit!


Because we are still bottle feeding, we couldn't stay terribly long, but we were thankful for the time we were able to have there enjoying the festival, the music, the many sights and sounds, fellowship with dear friends and brothers and sisters in the Lord, and much more!

11 comments:

Elizabethd said...

That sounds like a wonderful day Sarah. How nice to mix fellowship with festival!
It reminded me a bit of a Canadian Fall Fair that we attended many years ago, visiting my daughter....lots of music, stalls and interesting company.

Joy said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! We were sorry to miss it, but glad you got to fellowship with Morgan and family. :)

Joy said...

Oh, and I forgot to add: That candle photo you took--BEAUTIFUL!! :)

Shannon said...

What a fun time! I too love the old vintage settings and buildings... it's like taking a step back into the past. ;) And visiting with sisters in Christ is always so reviving and encouraging... your photos share of a lovely day!

Blessings,
Shannon

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah!

I was there on Monday! My two DIL's and I went to Rosewood Farms and then stopped at Bakersville on the way back. Lots of venders to see, and we found some Sourwood Honey in Harriet's Mercantile. It's a favorite with my husband ~ he's from NC. :-) It was a bit cool and cloudy, but a fun day. :-)
Blessings,
Anne♥

Nabila Grace said...

Oh how fun! I would have loved to go there!! I agree with Joy the candle picture is beautiful! I am hoping to dip some candles soon! :) Have you made candles or dipped candles?

Sarah said...

It was, Elizabeth! I am sure you all enjoyed the Canadian Fall Fair . . . if it is anything like this festival it would be a lot of fun!

Sarah said...

We did, Joy! We missed you all, too! It brought back memories being there this year since we met there for the first time last year. :) Especially so when I saw the wagon as that is where the photos were taken! And yes, we were glad to be able to fellowship with Morgan and her family. It was a blessing!

And thank you in regards to the candle photo!

Sarah said...

It was, Shannon! Things such as you mentioned have such a charm about them, don’t they? I am sure you would have enjoyed the festival! And yes, visiting with sisters in Christ is always encouraging.

I am glad that you enjoyed the photos!

Sarah said...

I am glad you were able to go, Mrs. Anne! But I’m sorry I missed you. That would have been so nice to be able to meet you!

It sounds like you had a lovely day with your daughters-in-law. And a special treat for you to find the Sourwood Honey for your husband! I am sure he appreciated that. :)

Sarah said...

It was, Nabila! And thank you. :) How neat that you hope to dip candles soon! If you do, I hope you’ll do a blog post about it as I would enjoy seeing that. And no, I haven’t made candles before, but it is on my ‘wish list’!