Friday, August 2, 2013

Delighting in Summer

Summer days are here with hot sunshine in the afternoons, dew-laden mornings, brilliant blue skies, pop-up thunderstorms, bird songs filling the air, and so much more to delight in! And that enjoyment has been keeping me away from blogging the past few weeks. :) I am feeling so much better now and have been loving getting back to all of my regular day-to-day activities from house cleaning, to milking, to hauling branches and clearing brush, to animal chores, to soap making, to mowing, to sewing, and other like things! After going through the month and a half of being ill and then recovering, life has a whole new zest to it now . . . I am rejoicing in the Lord's goodness to me, delighting in time spent with my dear family, and relishing these summertime days like never before.

With summer, there has also been a peak in harvesting from our garden, and we have been enjoying the bounty that the Lord has thus far blessed us with . . .


One day's harvest from several weeks ago
(save for a cabbage which had already been turned into coleslaw.)

We've also had "The Blister Beetle Invasion" in the garden again this year so we have been keeping busy spraying them! (With an organic spray. :) We're finally starting to conquer them!

These past weeks we have also been blessed with . . .

~ Two more honey harvests! The first of which gave us 5 1/2 gallons 
of a very dark and delicious honey . . . 




The contrast between the first harvest earlier this spring which was very light and then the second one which was very dark.

We haven't finished bottling our third and most recent harvest yet, but it looks to be in the 6-7 gallon range. What a blessing!

~ Traveling down south to spend time with dear brothers and sisters in the Lord and enjoying a special day of fellowship, studying the Lord's Word together, and more.

~ Finishing (or nearly finishing!) a big project that we have been working on which is building a structure/shelter to cover our rabbits. This week, Dad completed the framework, we removed the old shelter that was over the rabbits, and then set up the new one! It is built similar to the way greenhouses are with PVC pipe and then a heavy plastic covering over that. To give more of a perspective in its size . . . it is around 52 feet long!

~ Learning so much and growing ever closer to my Lord. He has been working a lot on my heart . . . teaching, molding, guiding . . . what a wonderful Savior and loving Father He is! 

~ Being able to get an antique writing desk this week! I have been looking for one for years, but just hadn't found one quite like what I was wanting (or one in my price range!) I was thrilled when Dad came across one on Craigslist that was at a local antique store . . . he showed me the pictures of it that were online, Mom, Leah and I went to go look at it, and now it's in my room with my writing supplies inside. Writing letters is even more fun now!

~ Gratefulness for how God's Word ministers to us . . . towards the beginning of my illness the Lord brought to my mind a verse from Isaiah "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee." Isn't this a beautiful promise? Whenever I began to worry or fear, I would remember this verse and what a help it was! And as different circumstances have arisen the past weeks, this verse has ministered to my heart, encouraged it, and reminded me to keep my mind stayed on Christ for then His perfect peace will reign in my heart and all sadness, worry, fear, etc. melt away.


Beauty in the Lord's creation

Yes, this summer has overall been a wonderful one so far . . . and as I have been thoroughly enjoying these past weeks and taking things at a slower pace, there has been a great deal on my heart and mind. I have been re-evaluating some things and am realizing the need to step away from blogging for a month or two with one reason being that we are just about ready to enter into our busy canning and gardening season (which is a bit late this year since we got the garden in so late, and it looks like most everything is going to be ready at once!) There is also a lot that is going to be going on this month with company coming here, our family going to the State Fair, and Leah and I traveling to see dear friends. September will likely be similar! 

It wasn't an easy decision to come to, and especially since I will miss this interaction with you all! I do plan on coming back, though. :) And over the break, I do hope to occasionally write for our other blog, Follow in His Steps, which I have sadly neglected. So you are welcome to visit there! 

Thank you all so much for making blogging so enjoyable, for caring and praying for me these past weeks/months, and for letting the Lord use you to bless me in many ways. I look forward to 'visiting' with you all again in hopefully a couple of months! 

25 comments:

Elizabethd said...

I will miss your posts Sarah, but I don't think it does any of us any harm to have a period away from the screen. Summer is the busiest time and for you more than most with your animals and vegetables. You have what we used in France to call 'a fermette', that is not hundreds of acres of farm, but enough to keep you very busy.
I am so glad that you are feeling better now. Take care of yourself.

Anne said...

Hi Sarah!
I was just about to email you to see how you were doing. So glad to hear you are well again. :-) I understand about the busy times as my garden is producing as well and our oldest daughter and two granddaughters are soon to arrive to stay for a while. Busy times for sure! Visit with you in a couple months.
God bless and take care,
Miss Anne♥

Suze said...

I am so please to see your update. You are such a positive example for me. Continue your journey to full health and God bless.

7 Eagles said...

I have missed you a lot, and will continue to miss you, Sarah! But I completely agree that it is wise for you to focus on the many IRL tasks coming up for you! Blogging is a blessing, but we all need to step away from the internet from time to time, and slow down the pace. I do appreciate you taking time to give us such a lovely post, though, and am so happy to know that your recovery continues beautifully.

So enjoy the wonderful activities coming up, and I look forward to hearing from you in a couple of months. If I can find the recipe, I will send you something--or things--that you can make with your delicious honey!:-)

~ Your sister in Christ...Betsy

Nabila Grace said...

So good to hear from you! :) You sound as busy as I have been! What a blessing to have renewed strength and drink in His goodness each new day. So glad you are on the mend. Hope that you have a wonderful next couple of months. I know we are going to be just as busy. :)

Leah said...

I am glad to hear that you are doing so much better. Aww...I'm going to miss not hearing from you in the next two months. I have always enjoyed reading your blogs and getting to know you better. But I understand why you need time off to do other things. I hope you will have a great time doing these activities and can't wait to hear about your adventures when you're finally back to blogging. I will keep my eye out on the other blog you mentioned.

Proverbs31 said...

Glad to hear your feeling better Sarah I have missed your posts. I have recently started up a new blog but I visited you before as Silver Thimble Marie x

fiona said...

Enjoy the rest of the Summer in good health Sarah
so happy to hear you are much better

Anna said...

Dear Sarah,

I have been meaning to comment on this post for some time now, but have only just got round to doing it! You have been in my thoughts and prayers over the last few months – just before you posted this I was thinking of emailing you to see how you were getting one. I am so glad that you have made such a good recovery from your illness, and hope that you continue to improve.

I also enjoyed seeing this update; it certainly looks as though your garden and bees have been productive this year! I will miss your posts – admitted, I have not been the best commenter, but I have read all your posts and enjoyed them. However, I think I can understand why you feel that a break from blogging is needed, especially as I know how long it can take to put a post together!
I hope that you have a blessed and busy few months, and look forward to (hopefully :) seeing more posts from you in the future.

Blessings,
Anna

Mrs. B, a very peculiar person said...

Dear Sarah,

I am so glad I popped in to find you almost fully recovered - you have regularly been in our prayers. We (my daughter OG and I) will miss your blog post but are in the same boat as our canning season up here on the Montana plains has also arrived. Our business is a blessing because God has blessed us with an abundant harvest.
Looking forward to your return.
Mrs.B & OG

Sarah said...

Thank you all so much for your kind and encouraging comments! Each one was a blessing to me. I’ll reply to you all individually right below this, but I just wanted to say that I am sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your sweet notes!

My blogging break is nearing its end (and it has been so nice!), and I am looking forward to posting again soon. I’ve missed it and you all, too!

Sarah said...

Thank you so much, Elizabeth! My blogging break was much needed as the past weeks/months have been very busy! Yes, even though our farm is quite small, there is indeed plenty to keep one busy :), and especially during the summer months. Things are slowing down now, and I am finally catching up on everything that had been put on hold while I was sick, so I am looking forward to blogging again soon! Thank you again!

Sarah said...

You are so thoughtful, Mrs. Anne! Thank you for thinking of me. :) I would imagine that your summer has been rather busy as well! What a blessing that your oldest daughter and two granddaughters were able to come and stay with you for awhile. I am sure you (and they!) loved that!

Sarah said...

Thank you so much for your kind words, Suze! I hope you and yours are doing well!

Sarah said...

Aww, thank you, Betsy! You are sweet. Yes, focusing on “in real life” tasks these past weeks was very necessary! I don’t think there would have been a way to fit blogging in even if I had wanted to. :) I have missed it, though, and am looking forward to posting again!

Recipes for uses for our honey sounds wonderful! We’ve harvested even more now and are starting to experiment more with it. It’s been fun!

Sarah said...

I would imagine that you, too, have been rather busy as of late, Nabila! Aren’t you glad that fall is here now and things are starting to wind down in the garden?!

I am so thankful for the renewed strength and how good the Lord has been! I’ve realized during this busy season that I’m still not all the way up to par, but I am so thankful to have made as much progress as I have. Thank you! These past weeks have been very wonderful. :)

Sarah said...

Thank you, Leah! And thank you for your sweet words. :) I’m glad that you enjoy my blog! And likewise, I always enjoy your comments. I hope to be back to blogging again in a few weeks!

I did have a great time with the activities of the past weeks, thank you! Unfortunately, though, things were so busy that I haven’t had opportunity to write for my other blog yet . . . I have a number of things that I would like to write however and hope to soon!

Sarah said...

How nice it was to hear from you again, Marie! Thank you for your sweet comment! I didn’t even realize you were still reading. :) I hope to be posting again before too terribly long!

Sarah said...

Thank you so much, Fiona!!

Sarah said...

Thank you so much, Anne, for your sweet and encouraging comment and for your prayers! Both mean so much! I am blessed to call you friend. :)

Yes, the garden and bees have been very productive this year! And filled a great deal of our time the past weeks. We just did the last of our honey harvests this week, and it’s nice to have that finished now.

I am glad to hear that you enjoy the posts! And I understand about being “not the best commenter” :), as I have the same tendency! As you have probably noticed . . . I always enjoy each of the posts that you do, but then rarely comment. :( I am hoping to remedy my poor commenter status when I get back to blogging!

Thank you again so much, Anna! I hope that you have had a blessed summer as well!

Sarah said...

Thank you very much for praying for me, Mrs. B and OG, and for your kind note! That means so much! I think I still have some recovery to do so your prayers are greatly appreciated!

I hope that your canning season has been going well! It’s always a blessing to be able to preserve the bountiful harvests. The Lord is so good to provide, isn’t He?

Thank you again! And I hope to be back to blogging soon!

Anonymous said...

WOW, Sarah! I love your new blog banner! Did you design it? Whoever it was did an excellent job. It is beautifully done. So fresh and vibrant, giving very good peek into country life. The layout is superb, and the pictures flow together . . . what good taste!

Thank you so much for your email! I was thrilled to hear from you again. I don't know how soon I'll be able to write back, but I will certainly try before the end of the year... :-)

Have a blessed weekend!

In His love,
Katie

Anonymous said...

I, too, wondered how you were doing and wondered if the garden was over flowing with goodies to do up for the fall/winter to feed the household, plus two neices too enjoy being around too.
Happy to hear that you are coming back, too many abandoned and went to facebook and made it private and so the ones that were reading them couldn't anymore. Or left altogether.
Some also left that God would want them to spend more time but at same time I believe that blogs like yours are blessing so many that wouldn't have gotten then except through blogs like yours.

I loved reading the times you and your sister were teaching the young girls all kinds of very useful things.

I loved that time you let us hear you, your mom, sing and play.

You are all very nice family and you can tell how close you are by the things that have happened in the family and you all gathered around to pray and be with that person.

Like when you got the lyme disease or type of it and the rest of your family, your mom took over the gardening that you did to get that gardening going and weeded and that was great to see that.

I love reading of all your lifes, how you all helped when you could even doing what you could when your brother was building his house.

God has really been in your lives all along and that is geat to seeing and hearing that.

miss you all

Blessings

Kathy

Sarah said...

Thank you for your kind words about the blog banner, Katie! And yes, I did design it. :) I was wanting something new and got inspiration one day so that’s the result!

I am glad that you enjoyed the e-mail! And I look forward to whenever you have opportunity to write back. :) But please feel free to take as long as you need!

I hope that you have a blessed weekend as well!

Sarah said...

Thank you for your note, Kathy! Life was certainly busy here over the summer months. :)

Yes, I’ll be back to blogging soon! I am glad to hear that my blog has been a blessing to you . . . and thank you so much for your words of encouragement!

It is such a blessing being in a close family . . . how thankful I am to the Lord for that and for all that He has done and is doing! And I am glad that the little glimpses shared here can be an encouragement to you.